Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reuse Windows Product Key?

• 03-02-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi guys

I'm thinking of putting XP on my oldest computer. A friend has a broken laptop (will never be used again) which had xp on it and I can get the licence key for that. Would it be legal to use the old key on the computer, considering the laptop is dead and will not be used again?

If it's not legal only because it was registered to a different person would it be legal if I used the licence key from my newer pc on the old one and changed that pc to vista??

I'm fairly sure that both the laptop and newer computer came with OEM o/s pre-installed.

I was looking at this thread but I think it just confused me even more than I already was!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055341523&highlight=change+windows+registration+updates

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭annieobrien8

Just continued my reading on this topic and this article seems to say that no matter what an OEM licence cannot be transferred.

As I said in the first post, I think that both machines have OEM but I don't know for sure about the laptop. Is there a way of finding out if a licence is OEM??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If the licence was sold with the computer (i.e. the product key is on a sticker on the PC) then its OEM. Strictly speaking, an OEM licence lives and dies with the computer it came with and is nontransferrable, except under warranty replacement type situations.

That said, if you tried it it would probably work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

buy the laptop for a nominal sum you should own latop and its os

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You never own XP unless you buy MS.

An OEM licence on a laptop/PC generally isn't transferrable to another computer except in warrenty replacement. A retail licence is transferable.

If the licence key doesn't work automatically, you ring MS. They ask some questions and if you have the right answers they give you a new key. Curiously this works at 3AM.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mp22 wrote: »
    buy the laptop for a nominal sum you should own latop and its os
    you don't own software , you just get a license to use it subject to any and all terms the software owner insists on

OEM is cheaper precisely because you can't re-use it

• Advertisement
Advertisement