Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A tiny example...

Options
  • 03-02-2009 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

... of what doesn't work.

I went down to post some stuff and buy another box of stamps, and found that still, in 2009, post offices don't accept credit cards.

So I have to keep the paper receipt for this (which I had to ask for) in my file, and give it to my accountant when he does my taxes.

It's €85 or so. Perhaps not a huge amount when you come down to it...

But since it's difficult to claim on my taxes - most accountants aren't crazy about fiddly little paper receipts, preferring credit card payments - there's always the temptation to save these transactions for my regular trips to England, where postage is a little cheaper.

Why on earth, in 2009, does An Post not accept credit cards in post offices? It would be a courtesy to its customers, at the very least.

Comments

Sounds more like a problem with your accountant.

There is no problem with paper reciepts, s/he seems to just be a bit lazy. I have spent, many, many, many hours preparing paper reciepts for audits of companies and individuals in two tax jurisdictions (here and the US).

Get your accountant to do his job properly.

On the credit card issue, you need a high volume of transcations to make it viable as there is a fixed charge per period plus a transaction cost of each payment made, both of which are paid for by the Post office.

Credit card terminals are not viable for all shops - and esp I would imagine a post office where there are high frequency, low value transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

On the credit card issue, you need a high volume of transcations to make it viable as there is a fixed charge per period plus a transaction cost of each payment made
    You don't need a high volume at all really, as the charges are not exorbitant and it's safer than carrying cash. Many post offices deal with medium-size shipments (those around the €100 mark) and when you add in that they sell phone credit, it's not a huge burden at all.

Also, under SEPA, it's quite likely that the charges will be customer-based.
    luckat wrote: »
    Why on earth, in 2009, does An Post not accept credit cards in post offices? It would be a courtesy to its customers, at the very least.
    This isn't an issue for the Economics forum. Moving.... somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

luckat wrote: »

Because most Post office transactions are low value...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

None of the post offices take credit cards. And there's no problem with low value transactions - many of my local shops have notices saying you can't use credit cards on transactions under €10.

It just seems a bit Stone Age that the post office doesn't take credit cards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

They won't take laser cards for buying stamps either. I had a few bits to do one day and they refused to put the stamps on the laser card with the other payments. I had to pay for them in cash. The girl behind the counter said it was the only way to buy stamps :confused:

I suppose this makes sense if there is a chance the transaction would bounce, but seeing as how laser cards are guaranteed up to a certain amount (like cheque cards used to be used for cheques) it a silly rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I tried to buy stamps for work before on a Visa card and the woman behind the desk said they only take cash or a business cheque for postage or stamps.

They do take credit cards for other products they sell, just not stamps!

OP - if you can afford to wait a day or two, you can buy stamps online here:

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Business+Customers/Our+Business+Services/Stamps+Direct/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

mick_irl, thank you *so* much. That's absolutely brilliant! You're a star!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I have a vague idea that all this ties in with some archaic rule dealing with getting cash on credit -

stamps can always be exchanged for cash in the PO and it you buy them on credit then they can be used to get interest-free cash. Or something like that.

It's probably an anachronism much like the fact that you used have to pay for drinks in a bar with pure hard cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You may be onto something Parsi
    Much like you can't pay for lotto tickets with a credit card as that's gambling with credit.
    A few shops insisted on cash for lotto tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

mikemac wrote: »
    Much like you can't pay for lotto tickets with a credit card as that's gambling with credit.

Please do not tell this to my local SuperValu then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Of course many shops allow it and others don't. Depends on the store and what they decide to ignore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

My local post office accepts payments for boxes of stamps by cheque

Advertisement