Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xubuntu, wireless USB and a very tempting hammer!

Options
  • 03-02-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Wondering if any linux experts can help me out here. I have a server PC in the house running xubuntu and decided to invest in a wireless usb adapter. It's a belkin. I plugged it in crossed my fingers and you guessed it no dice. Didn't even realise I had plugged it in.
    So in the style of linux I went hunting on how to fix it. I follwed the instructions here to set up ndlswrapper. I found out my adapter was the following:
    #
    Card: Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter

Chipset: Unsure
    usbid: 050d:705c
    Driver: On the CD at /files/Driver/blkwgu.inf
    Other: run ndiswrapper -i blkwgu.inf on CD, copy blkwgu.sys to same directory as ndiswrapper puts the inf file. bring up device. Had problem not being able to use restricted mode and had to switch to open WEP. Works once i made the switch, pretty straightforward.

I copied the drivers off the cd as suggested and pointed the software to it. It added the card (huray!) and I was able to search for networks.
    Now here comes my problem. I connect to my bt network and it asks for my wep key. The network is 128 bit wep (I know, I know, handy to hack but it's the folks network and d lil sis cant be arsed updating xp so it can connect to wpa) open blah blah. I enter the wep key which is a 13 digit ascii key and off it goes. 2 minutes later the same box pops up asking for the wep key but already has a 26 digit (hex?) key in the box that looks nothing like the one I typed.

Any ideas at this point what could be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

maybe you need to type the wep key in hexidecimal form.

Free tool called HEXWRITE is useful i find.

I have that problem with wireless devices/handhelds/printers.

http://www.simtel.net/product.download.php?id=65974

Its straightforward enough for the conversion.

After that best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Cheers for that. I was just after trying it :) Turns out that was the 26 digit code it had. Tried typing it in again as hex but still no go. Might have to wait till everyones off the network ang remove the encryption for a few minutes to be sure it's that that is the problem :(

Just to update it worked in an unsecured network. So until I can get a proper compatible card I've limited the mac addreeses. Hell if your gonna spoof mac addys you'll hack a wep key!
    Can anyone suggest a good card to work with xubuntu out of the box or even a pci card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

What does the "box" look like that's asking for the key?

By any chance does it have a dropdown menu above where you type in the key
    with the different types you might be trying?
    Make sure the default isn't Hex, and a simple click might change what it's expecting to Ascii.

I'd get rid of the ndiswrapper and windows driver if I were you.
    That adapter is supported natively by linux using the zd1211rw driver
    which should auto load on a modern installation of xubuntu.
    What version are you running?

Its title is "Wireless Network Authentication required"

It asks for the security, key, wep Index and authentication (open/shared key).

I'm using version 8.10. However when I plugged it in nothing happened. Have I to do something to point that driver to it? I don't know a lot about linux (obviously :D).

• Advertisement
Advertisement