Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**West Ham vs Man Utd** East End Promise and Northern Rocks

• 03-02-2009 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

This has always proven to be a most excellent fixture, with West Ham having proven a thorn in Man Utd's side on numerous occasions in recent years.

Both teams are on fire right now, with Utd finding the goal again after a series of eked victories.

While I admit in advance that I'm biased towards the Hammers here I wonder if West Ham can't sneak this? West Ham are certainly improved in defence recently and have a stable lineup with Parker shielding the back four admirably.

Cole is the striker de jour no matter how you look at it, and would be the Rooney figure in this team, with his willingness to track back and hustle hard.

Both teams will be teched to the max as SAF knows all too well that this is not a game to rest players for, and Zola will see this as a game he can take a point away from.

Verdict: Low scoring affair... 0-0, 1-0, 0-1.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

United to win 0-9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

East End Promise and Northern Rocks wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

syngindub wrote: »
    United to win 0-9

[edit] snip - post like this again and you're out - GY

And I wouldn't consider this overly early, since with the expected cancellations in the Cup tomorrow night there'll be plenty of bored forumites in evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hammers are looking pretty organised under Steve Clarke and have some flair in attack so it could be a well contested game which Utd will win by 1 goal cos thats what they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Man U to win by 2-0. After an appaling start when they looked like relegation fodder, Zola has really turned it around at West Ham, but Man Utd are too strong all over the park for this to be anything other than an away win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

OK, everyone should know the drill here.

If you don't like a thread, vote with the little x button on the top right of your browsers or the little caution sign on the bottom left of the posts.

ANYTHING else isn't acceptable. Insulting people, derailing the thread, continuing the derailing..... no, just no.

It is a bit early for what I wouldn't consider *that* important a game, but hey, somebody might have something to say.

Regardless, THIS is the thread that will be used on the day, whether you want to post now or not, I'll be merging anything else to this. So if you're gonna act like an idiot, it is gonna be there for everyone to see and they won't know you were being a smart-ass.

Moderation over.

Back on topic, if you've a problem with this, don't post on the thread, PM or helpdesk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

For me West Ham are really my team to watch at the moment,
    A few years ago it was newcastle when Lauren Robert was scoring 40 yard belters every couple of weeks and every game had about 7 goals scored, very entertaining football.

Anyway I think they can definately get something from this, with Di Michele finding his feet they definately have a chance.
    Considering that Cole and Di Michele are a decent goal thread and very much in form, it will be a good encounter between them and well the best premierleague defence ever I guess.

It's a game in which I'll engage in some dutching I think. Manchester United are currently a very short 1.68 on Betfair where's Arsenal were 1.86 (I think) at kick off last weekend.

If I have the funds on 'Fair or 'Daq then I'll lay United but otherwise I suspect I'll merely have a large flutter on West Ham... 5/1 generally, as opposed to 7-1 generally against Arsenal.

To my mind the numbers don't add up. Both favourite and dog are shorter here than the Arsenal vs West Ham game.

West Ham have no injury concerns, and have, Bellamy aside, kept their first team intact during the January window, whilst adding some exciting new prospects.

Manchester United have a handful of knocks, many of whom should be back for this. I'm thinking that Rafael needs to start this game, mainly due to his pace...Neville might have more defensive nous but his lack of pace would, and should, be a disaster when facing the West Ham attack.

I'm standing by my low scoring verdict for the time being; with Under 2.5 goals being a 50/50 proposition (1.8 Unders, 1.9 Overs). Always nice to have the bookies in agreement with ones decisions.

so were not allowed discuss a potential 10-9 thriller. ok, i won't say in favour of who then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

so were not allowed discuss a potential 10-9 thriller. ok, i won't say in favour of who then :)
    no need home team always comes first then away :D so you mean 10 -9 to westham?
    I think if SAF decides to reintroduce his star players then westham has a chance because they'll lack match fitness I think.
    I'd imagine he'll stick with the team that beat everton and sub them on for the last 20 min. I reckon it's a one goal game can't see westham scoring myself but ya never know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Bump. Some team news coming out of the press conference.
    Wayne Rooney and Patrice Evra could make the bench on Sunday, but the Reds will travel to Upton Park without skipper Gary Neville.

At his pre-match press conference on Friday, Sir Alex said neither Rooney nor Evra would be fit to start against West Ham, but anticipated both players could still play a part in Sunday's encounter.

With Gary Neville ruled out, Wes Brown us expected to fill the right back berth, despite picking up a minor knock as a substitute against Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I reckon this one will end a draw. United have a poor record at upton park and west ham are in great form at the moment. Would prefer 0-0 to 1-1... keep the clean sheets going! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

United to win one nil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

If I can get decent odds I'll be backing united -1.

I think they're good for at least two goals, even with Clarkes improvement of the West Ham defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I just can't look past at United win. Though I think that every game. It won't be by much and I think the clean sheet record will go. My guess is 3-1.

VDS
    Brown-Rio-Vidic--O'Shea
    ---Carrick--Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Park-
    Tevez

Berbatov

With the week break I expect a full strength team to go out. Obvioulsy either Rooney or Evra could start depending on their fitness but with internationals next week I expect both to be on the bench.

West Ham have got draws with Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelseas under there belts though so it could be tougher than I am expecting. Especially now Des has said we will win.

Iago wrote: »

I think they're good for at least two goals, even with Clarkes improvement of the West Ham defence.

Man Utd (-1.0) 17 - 10

That's on PP. Decent enough imo.

On a seperate note, come on you Hammers! :)

Man Utd (-1.0) 17 - 10

That's on PP. Decent enough imo.

On a seperate note, come on you Hammers! :)

Yep that'll do it alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

1992 1-0 West Ham
    1994 2-2 Draw
    1995 0-1 Man Utd
    1996 2-2 Draw
    1997 1-1 Draw
    1998 0-0 Draw
    1999 2-4 Man Utd
    2000 2-2 Draw
    2001 3-5 Man Utd
    2002 1-1 Draw
    2005 1-2 Man Utd
    2006 1-0 West Ham
    2007 2-1 West Ham

-Man Utd Have only managed 4 wins in the past 17 years at Upton Park.
    -The 1999 victory could have been all the more different had Di Canio not hit the post to redress a 3-0 defect to 3-3.
    -6 draws between the teams says it all.
    -Man Utd have had real difficulties maintaining leads down in London (including two 2-0 leads (Dec 1996, Aug 2000))
    -United have lost two championship at Upton Park (1992, 1995)

As a mad Hammers fan, I have much love for Man Utd. Im convinced the team went easy on us in 2007 when we needed a win at Old Trafford. They had ever reason to relegate West Ham after 1992 and 1995 (remember Steve Bruce waffling on about how happy he was to send West Ham down in 2003 with Birmingham), but they didnt.

I hope West Ham continue their good run of form, and United's consistent defence could put a stop to that.

I say 2-0 to Man Utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I'd be leaning towards a very tight affair probably with just one goal deciding it. While the odds favour Utd loosing their clean sheet record as time goes by I can't see them loosing more than one goal to West Ham. However having said that I can't see Utd getting more than one goal against an increasingly mean West Ham defence. I would not be surprised at all if it ended up nil nil.

For the Hammers fans how much of the improvement of late is Clarke being credited with and how much is being credited to Zola?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I'd be leaning towards a very tight affair probably with just one goal deciding it. While the odds favour Utd loosing their clean sheet record as time goes by I can't see them loosing more than one goal to West Ham. However having said that I can't see Utd getting more than one goal against an increasingly mean West Ham defence. I would not be surprised at all if it ended up nil nil.

For the Hammers fans how much of the improvement of late is Clarke being credited with and how much is being credited to Zola?

Since the turn of the year, Clarke has been getting as much prasie as Zola. Clearly they have a great working relationship, and long may it continue !!!

Clarke is he polar opposite to Zola. The former was a mean defender, who was in the Denis Irwin, Gary Neville mould (gets little praise for the job they did), and Zola was the superstar who was anything but consistent (in the best posible way). They have got the balance completely right here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Iago wrote: »

very risky bet imo

Trilla wrote: »
    very risky bet imo

would't disagree with that, but I'm on a roll at the moment ;)

Last week I had a nice treble with West Ham (-1), Wigan (+1) & Everton (+1)

as well as United (-1) at half time and full time against West Brom.

Then midweek I had Everton +1 & the half-time/full-time draw in the merseyside FA Cup game.

This one probably isn't as clearcut, but we're more than capable of it and I'm feeling lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Het-Field wrote: »
    1992 1-0 West Ham
    1994 2-2 Draw
    1995 0-1 Man Utd
    1996 2-2 Draw
    1997 1-1 Draw
    1998 0-0 Draw
    1999 2-4 Man Utd
    2000 2-2 Draw
    2001 3-5 Man Utd
    2002 1-1 Draw
    2005 1-2 Man Utd
    2006 1-0 West Ham
    2007 2-1 West Ham

-Man Utd Have only managed 4 wins in the past 17 years at Upton Park.
    -The 1999 victory could have been all the more different had Di Canio not hit the post to redress a 3-0 defect to 3-3.
    -6 draws between the teams says it all.
    -Man Utd have had real difficulties maintaining leads down in London (including two 2-0 leads (Dec 1996, Aug 2000))
    -United have lost two championship at Upton Park (1992, 1995)

As a mad Hammers fan, I have much love for Man Utd. Im convinced the team went easy on us in 2007 when we needed a win at Old Trafford. They had ever reason to relegate West Ham after 1992 and 1995 (remember Steve Bruce waffling on about how happy he was to send West Ham down in 2003 with Birmingham), but they didnt.

I hope West Ham continue their good run of form, and United's consistent defence could put a stop to that.

I say 2-0 to Man Utd

1995 was a 1-1 draw. How could we ever forget?

Well with Rooney back on the bench, Utd have an extra string to the bow should their attack be blunted for 70 minutes.

I still stand by the 0-0, 1-0, 0-1 position. Even if Rooney comes on and scores it'll take time, and he's only coming on if Utd aren't winning; this game is too rough to risk him getting kicked by O'Neill :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I see United winning the game, it looks like an interesting match alright. I can't wait to watch it!
    With Ronaldo, Tevez and Berba i expect a goal each from them! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm very wary about this match. West Ham away has always been extremely difficult and they put up a damm good fight. That said, I think we're in good enough form, and know the importance of this fixture, to take the win. But we may need Rooney to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I predict a West Ham win here. They have been playing extremely well of late. I just feel its gonna happen.

Edit to add, You've never seen me predict a United loss before in a match thread.

Will be a tough one for United but with Liverpool winning today, this will give them a little extra prove and can see 1-3 win for MUFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

should be easy enough

i predict utd to continue the record and score 2 goals tomorrow with Ronaldo and tevez as the scorers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I just hope to god we win. :( I've a feeling it wont be easy if we do and it will be another 1-0 Thriller ha. Ronaldo or tevez to score IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Tevez to pour just a little more suffering on his former club with a brace of tap ins :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Glory Glory Man United
    Glory Glory Man United
    Glory Glory Man United
    As the Reds go marching on on on!!

in 12 hours we gonna be back at the top of the league lads, i would love to hear nothing but positives today :)

Whos that man from Argentina?
    Whos that man they all adore?
    Plays with Rooney, plays with Wes
    Hes our superstar Tevez!
    And forever at United he will score!

Nemanja Ohhh Nemanja Ohhh
    He comes from Serbia .....
    He'll ****in murder ya!

Come on the Hammers! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Come on you reds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Hopefully the Hammers can get a win but i cant really see that happening but maybe and hopefuuly a 1-0 in their favour.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I expect (Man) United to come out of this with a victory (even with their poor record at Upton Park).

I also expect it to be a high scoring game funnliy enough. I`ll go for 3 - 2 to United.

kryogen wrote: »
    G

Nemanja Ohhh Nemanja Ohhh
    He comes from Serbia .....
    He'll ****in murder ya!

Bearing in mind the reputation of Serbs is this not a rather foolish chant?

mike65 wrote: »
    Bearing in mind the reputation of Serbs is this not a rather foolish chant?

i suppose you should probably ask that to whoever came up with it?

i dont think about it in any other way then a footballing context.....i.e. how its meant

dont take it so seriously mike, its a sport not a war :)

Its more important than that! :p

much much much more important! :)

if we win today, and im pretty sure we will if we go out with the right attitude, we will have gotten the last tricky away match out of the way imo

• Advertisement

any team news? Rooney on the bench i presume.

Rooney will probably be on the bench

Rockman is the man for the team news, he will surely have it as soon as its out

i think it will probably be

VDS
    Brown
    Rio
    Vida
    Evra
    Ron
    Fletch----Carrick----Park

Berba
    Tevez

kryogen do you want fletch starting?

more like

Ron
    Scholes----Carrick----Park

more like

Ron
    Scholes----Carrick----Park

ya thats what i want

id prefer not to see Fletch near the 1st team today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I reckon it's gonna be:

Ronaldo - Carrick - Giggs - Park

i think it's going to be a close one - West Ham will make it tough and they are in good form at the moment. Would happily take a one goal victory!

I reckon it's gonna be:

Ronaldo - Carrick - Giggs - Park

i think it's going to be a close one - West Ham will make it tough and they are in good form at the moment. Would happily take a one goal victory!
    i don't mind that line up either. especially while giggs is showing great form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Not till around 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Fergie said friday that Rooney and Evra will definitely not play from the start.

Video here:
    http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0,23791,12606_4901972,00.html?ssvTab=2&ssvSelectedTab=12600&ssvBasket=12606&ssvPage=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

First United match Im gonna miss since november I think. Sick. Stupid real soccer matches.

• Advertisement
Advertisement