Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Big Reunite

Options
  • 03-02-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

"We're in this to play and have a good time. When you consider the amount of rehearsals you have to have with a band, how much time you have to spend together, how many hours you have to sit on planes and backstage and whatever, there's no amount of money that can make it worthwhile unless you really want to do it."
    Billy Sheenan, Bassist

The original lineup of Mr Big, with founding guitarist Paul Gilbert, have announced they will play their first concerts together since 2002 in Japan. Gilbert left the band in 1997 to concentrate on Racer X. The band are perhaps most famous for the tracks To Be With You, Green Tinted Sixties Mind and their Cat Stevens cover of Wild World.

I could not be happier this happening. Love this band. Not suprised Japan is first though because the band released like x3 the amount of albums they released in Europe in Japan, special editions and live stuff, due to their popularity there!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I never got Mr. Big. Great players all generally trying not to play anything complex and a singer who needs a testosterone sandwich for lunch. The live album was ok, but it all sounded a bit lightweight to my ears.

Billy Sheehan needs to get back with Dave Lee Roth and Greg Bissonette and together they need to smack some sense into Vai. Now that was a band you could rock out to ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Doctor J wrote: »
    Billy Sheehan needs to get back with Dave Lee Roth and Greg Bissonette and together they need to smack some sense into Vai. Now that was a band you could rock out to ;)

I agreed until you got to Vai i'm afraid. A band you could rock out to, sure, but it was also Dave and three session musicians TRYING to be Van Halen at the same time.

That said, i still love Skyscraper. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Best news i heard all day ****ing great band! Some brilliant songs still give lean into it a spin every now and then....always liked sheehan as a bassist have a few demos and live recordings from his first band Talas some good stuff on it

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I agreed until you got to Vai i'm afraid. A band you could rock out to, sure, but it was also Dave and three session musicians TRYING to be Van Halen at the same time.

That said, i still love Skyscraper. :)

Trying and succeeding :pac:

Give me Eat 'Em And Smile anyday over Skyscraper, 5150, OU812, etc etc etc... and Mr. Big :p

Trying and succeeding :pac:

Give me Eat 'Em And Smile anyday over Skyscraper, 5150, OU812, etc etc etc... and Mr. Big :p

Why Can't This Be Love and Finished What You Started over California Girls and Just a Gigalo? Sorry, Sammy and the boys won that one to me, so i can't in good faith agree with you there. I always felt VH sounded better with Hagar on vocals, the main drawbacks with 5150 and OU812 was that awful electronic drumkit and Eddie's keyboard trip. By the time F-U-C-K was released, they'd gotten their sh*t together. While Dave was struggling with A Little Ain't Enough. Note guys, don't get a member from Chic to produce a rock album, it doesn't work. In fact that album's only saving grace was Jason Beckers contributions!

But Dave and co tried, they really tried!
    As for Mr Big... never really cared for them, probably those "i have vice grips attached to my balls" vocals put me off.

• Advertisement

California Girls ain't on Eat Em and Smile, neither is Just A Gigolo.

You need to think of Yankee Rose, Shy Boy, Elephant Gun, Crazy From The Heat, etc ;)

It's the best thing any of them ever put their name to :D

California Girls ain't on Eat Em and Smile, neither is Just A Gigolo.

You need to think of Yankee Rose, Shy Boy, Elephant Gun, Crazy From The Heat, etc ;)

I'm aware of that, m'man. They all came out around the same timeframe though. ;)
    There was some turkey stuff that also came out around then though, Stand Up was total dross, and should have never have been put on the Skyscraper album, nevermind released as a single.
    It's the best thing any of them ever put their name to :D

I would agree only I'm pretty sure Bissonette was involved in Satriani's "The Extremist", and Vai's Passion and Warfare blows anything he did with DLR right out the window

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I'm aware of that, m'man. They all came out around the same timeframe though. ;)
    Yeah, but they're not on Eat 'Em And Smile, which is why I was specific about Eat 'Em And Smile in the first place ;) Sheehan is only on half of Skyscraper and had left long before it was released and it's a pretty limp album to be fair, so when saying the Sheehan, Roth, Bissonette and Vai ought to get their **** together, I'm not talking about making more Just Like Paradise's or Good Times, I'm talking about more Ladies Night In Buffalo, more I'm Easy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 tkyn22

They are in Japan at the moment and promoting the gigs in June.
    gnj0902100501001-p2.jpg

I hope they come here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Mr Big are without question the most disppointing band ever assembled. They had the firepower to blow the roof off of any venue that they played and they were doing jerk off tunes like To Be With You.

They played some amazing covers, but their original stuff really need to grow a pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

tkyn22 wrote: »
    They are in Japan at the moment and promoting the gigs in June.
    gnj0902100501001-p2.jpg

I hope they come here too.

They don't look too bad for four aging rockers, in the sense that some look like life has really taken its toll, I saw a copy of their Raw Like Sushi EP on EBay the other day so I won it for £6

Its currently on Amazon.co.uk for £60!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭bnt

And finally, 18 months later, there's going to be an album. From No Treble:
    Kevin Shirley is producing the new album in an Los Angeles-based studio, and Sheehan reports the process is going well. He shared on his Facebook page that the new album will include “impossible bass and guitar stuff.” It will also feature “Some cool and heavy stuff, as well as bluesy and soulful,” he wrote. “It’s going to be a good one! Every song is blossoming into more than we expected. Having a great time doing it, as well.”

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

This is fantastic, looking forward to hearing this material

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Brilliant news!! Hopefully they get up of there ass and do a date in dublin or another one in London ill be at either or both if they did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Interesting stuff, a new VH and a new Mr.Big album for 2011.......

Advertisement