Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Link DWL G510 problems?

Options
  • 03-02-2009 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Anyone have one of these cards and have a problem where the card keeps dropping the connection or keeps losing and gaining signal strength?

I've a pretty strong feeling that it's a faulty card, since I know that the network and configuration is fine. Also, the machine it's on is running XP sp2 and wireless zero config has been turned off (causes a similar problem). Also, the location of the wireless router with regards to the card is not the problem either.

Also, considering that running a wire up the walls and underneath the floorboards is not an option, are there any other networking solutions available worth trying? Anyone ever used the Powerline adapters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Maybe service pack 3?
    The only other thing i could think of would be new firmware/driver for the card.

What driver are you using? and what version of the client?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

eddhorse wrote: »
    Maybe service pack 3?
    The only other thing i could think of would be new firmware/driver for the card.
    What driver are you using? and what version of the client?
    I've updated the drivers to the most resent release.

Currently, the transmission rate is varying between 18.0MB/s and 32MB/s. I'm also getting a lot of packet loss.

Did you check to see if another router is interfering with yours? Either on the same or adjacent channels? Most of the channels in the 2.4GHz band overlap; if channel 6 is in use then only channels 1 or 11/12/13 can be used without interfering with the channel 6 device.

It's grand. I'm using a powerline adapter now and I'm getting about 4 times the speed I was on the old 802.11g wirless network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Yep the D-Link DWL G510 is a piece of s**t.
    I've the same problems as the OP. I'm not too concerned about speed but the way it radomly loses connection is a real PITA.

I'm thinking of replacing it with the D-Link RangeBooster N 650 Desktop Adapter DWA-547?
    Anyone have experience with that card or can suggest a good alternative?

• Advertisement

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Yep the D-Link DWL G510 is a piece of s**t.
    I've the same problems as the OP. I'm not too concerned about speed but the way it radomly loses connection is a real PITA.

I'm thinking of replacing it with the D-Link RangeBooster N 650 Desktop Adapter DWA-547?
    Anyone have experience with that card or can suggest a good alternative?
    Is it actually a problem with the hardware? Have you disabled wireless zero config?

The G510 when it worked wasn't bad considering the price. But, yeah. I will not be recommending it to anyone for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Ass wrote: »
    Is it actually a problem with the hardware? Have you disabled wireless zero config?

Yes I did. I think I've tried a variation of everything that's been advised on the web to try to get it working properly. I've always had problems with it though and as I'm sure you're all too familiar with the frustration that can ensue :(.

Not too long ago I re-installed XP on the machine and after updating to service pack 3 all seemed to go well for a while.
    (Actually SP3 caused a conflict but a workaround fixed that).

However not too long after it reverted to random disconnects.

Advertisement