Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graph showing size of banks 2007 v 2009 in market capital

• 03-02-2009 5:51pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Linky

Was amazed to see this graph recently published by JP Morgan showing just how much some of the worlds top banks have shrunk in less than two years.

I'd like to see the same for the Irish banks too and how it would compare...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Real interesting link that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was just looking over aibs history on the google search before I went to check my balance. They practically hit bottom the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Those graphs are a bit misleading.
    It's the radius of the circle they have shrunk, not the area, so if a bank is half as big as a year ago, the circle is 1/4 of the size, and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I prefer the Icelandic stock market index graph

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/OMXI15.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Blisterman wrote: »
    Those graphs are a bit misleading.
    It's the radius of the circle they have shrunk, not the area, so if a bank is half as big as a year ago, the circle is 1/4 of the size, and so on.
    What do you expect from accountants ?

even worse are when they use pictures of 3D objects with a 1D scale

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Saabdub

Honey, I shrunk the shareholders capital:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Kryx

Very interesting graph. I don'y think the circle graph doesn't weigh the issue. You would think that, for example, the HSBC size is rougly about 40% of what it used to be in 2009. But if you approximate the smaller circles radius to be 4 and the larger one's 10.

Rsmall = 4
    Area small = pi X Rsmall X Rsmall = 50.265

Rbig = 10
    Area big = pi X Rbig X Rbig = 314.159

The smaller circle is 15.999% of the larger circle!

Therefore the banks capital is only 16% of what it used to be!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Weird graph, if you look at the JP Morgan one (intuitively) the area of the smaller circle should be approx 1/2 of the bigger one which it really isn't...

I've never liked these kinds of graphs, too many different ways of interpreting them plus they're normally done a certain way for visual effect rather than accuracy! Give me simple bar charts any day. :)

Advertisement