Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland cap, Option 2

Options
  • 03-02-2009 5:54pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We're on option 2 which was 3mb/s previously but now offers "up to" 6mb/s (although I haven't seen things getting much faster).

Either way the cap was always 30GB/M and the cap monitor would tell you if you were likely to go over that. I never got charged or cut off when I did go over the odd time but it was a handy way to ensure that if I did, it wouldn't be by much.

Just before Christmas, however, I noticed that it was no longer telling me when it previously would have. So, for example, when I had downloaded 20GB in 10 days I wasn't getting the warning saying I would exceed my cap in 5 days time etc. Even when I went over the supposed 30GB cap in December it didn't tell me I had done so.

For the first time in a while it's told me that I could exceed my cap for February at current rates, after I went on a bit of a download splurge over the weekend.

The meter is saying 12.7GB and telling me I could exceed the cap in 20 days at my current download rate (which is a very large one and one I'd have a hard time maintaining even if I tried!). But doing the maths on this the cap I currently have must be way over 100GB - if it was 30GB again I'd be told I could exceed it in well under 10 days at my current rate.

So what's going on? Is my cap monitor just not operating properly any more, has my cap been upped or have I been given allowances for all the times I stayed well under cap in 2008 (as very, very unlikely as that might be)?

I'm by no means complaining, just wondering if it's a temporary blip or a more relaxed approach by BT for once.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I'm on the same package, and often go over the cap but at most only by 5-10GB, I get the warning messages and then told I've exceeded the limit.

Some one posted before that it doesn't matter what the BT usage monitor says, everyone has a cap of 100GB per month and won't start throttling until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Toft
    TangoTwit

I just started with BT an I'm on option one so I went over the 10gig allowance within the first 5 mins, But will they really not cap me? can I expect them to charge me on the bill or take it out of the next month? or cut me off:eek:

Advertisement