Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lampard wins appeal over red card

• 03-02-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Surprise, surprise. I hate fat frank and Chelsea so thats were the abuse is coming from. It is the second time in 10 months that he has won an appeal against a red card. He was sent off against West Ham in March last year and had that overturned, too. What a joke ! More pissed about Boswinga getting away scott free tbh but still hate this.

Three reds overturned in 12 months for Chelsea is suspect in my opinion. No other team I can recall ever having such a high number overturned in such a short period of time. Please someone correct me if I am mistaken.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0203/lampardf.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Correct decision. No joke

Bosingwa decision was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Great picture in the Irish Times today of Lampard's challenge with his foot on the ball, but two feet off the ground and studs showing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

In fairness noone at the time believed Fat Frank deserved the red card. 365 even went to say that Fatty had been sent off for being kicked by Alonso.

I'm more concerned that it's only this week that Cheaty McCheaty Gerrard was booked for diving. His dive against West Ham in the 0-0 was deserving of a straight red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

lee_arama wrote: »
    In fairness noone at the time believed Fat Frank deserved the red card. 365 even went to say that Fatty had been sent off for being kicked by Alonso.

I'm more concerned that it's only this week that Cheaty McCheaty Gerrard was booked for diving. His dive against West Ham in the 0-0 was deserving of a straight red.

Whar dive against West Ham??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Chelsea have had 3 red cards overturned in the past 12 months by my reckoning. Two for fat Frank and one for Terry. Is there another side in the league that has had that amount of red cards overturned in the past 12 months ? I think it is a load of bollox tbh. Imagine if United had 3 overturned, pigs would need to be flying even to get the one !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

I believe it was the one where he miskicked the ball and collapsed like he'd been shot by the incoming Hammer. Might have been Mullins who was coming in to challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

monkey9 wrote: »
    Whar dive against West Ham??

and more to the point, why is a dive by Gerrard worth a red when the punishment for divign is a yellow?

I also find it funny that the FA have no problem looking at and overturnign (correctly) Lampards red card for somehtign that in real time and with only one look could be mistaken for a bad challenge but a clear cut, no replays needed stonewaller from Bosingwa wont be looked at.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Erm. This was the correct decision. No one cares about your bitterness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Correct decision, and Lampard may be many things but fat is not one of them.

Kold wrote: »
    Erm. This was the correct decision. No one cares about your bitterness.

What about the other two ? 3 reds overturned in 12 months reeks of favouritism. England captain, eeh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Correct decision alright. Lampard is fat? lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think it should of stood but can see both sides of the argument, but once you lunge in with both legs off the ground the rules are pretty clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Correct decision

and no forced transfer in Fan Premier League :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I'm no lampard fan, but this was always going to be overturned. Mike Riley even admitted it was a mistake after the replay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Even I didn't think it was a red.

Edit: ref should have given him an uncontroversial yellow, then snuck in another a little later. Same result, less controv.

article-1133530-0343B03B000005DC-902_468x361.jpg

I can't find the IT picture from behind Lampard :( - not too dissimilar from Riley's viewpoint - at this exact moment where both feet are off the ground. Red Card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

No way was it a red, even some of the Pool fans in the pub agreed:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wasn't red and its all done and dusted.

Looks like Alonso should have gotten the red from that picture!

Lampard is out of control. You are not allowed jump in off your feet, ball or no ball.

• Advertisement

Quint wrote: »
    Looks like Alonso should have gotten the red from that picture!

what???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Why would something the FA decide to do make you hate Lampard or Chelsea, surely your beef is with the FA.

mayordenis wrote: »
    what???

Lampards foot is on the ball, Alonso is about to boot him

Lampard is off both his feet, studs showing. What do people not get about that? Why is everyone focusing on who touched the ball first?

Lampards foot is on the ball, Alonso is about to boot him

You're not in control of the ball with your foot 20 at around knee height with your studs showing,
    The rule is simple feet off the ground studs showing red card.

What about booting someone? Isn't that a red card?
    http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2037334/

selpher wrote: »
    Why would something the FA decide to do make you hate Lampard or Chelsea, surely your beef is with the FA.

No. I hate Lampard, Terry the Special one and Chelsea FC. The FA are looking guilty of favouritism in my opinion and there is certainly a case to be argued. I have never known a team to have had three red cards overturned in the space of twelve months. As a United fan it pisses me off to high heaven to be frank. United can do nothing right in the eyes of that mob in Grosvenor square and Chelsea dont seem to be able to do no wrong. Regardless of anyones personal beliefs one cannot deny the fact that three reds overturned is suspect in fairness.

The first foul is Lampard's. There's not much Alonso can do. If he pulls out of the tackle and Lampard's studs rake down his shin, it's a season ending injury.

It would seem that even if Alonso pulled back and had his leg possibly broken, people would still trot out "Lampard touched the ball first" line in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

redout wrote: »
    What about the other two ? 3 reds overturned in 12 months reeks of favouritism. England captain, eeh.

I think you will find Terry is the England captain.

anyway i just did a google news search on Lampard FA Red Card and in 2008 alone he had 3 over turned and now one this year - that has to be much higher than the average...

• Advertisement

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2037334/

sorry but you are completely wrong. If you honestly believe that what Alonso did there was booting someone then every single tackle where both players do not touch the ball is a red card.
    Alonso made challenge in the fair studs down attempt to win the ball,
    Lampard lunged in with both feet off the ground one of those is potentially career ending, the other not so much.

I think you will find Terry is the England captain.

anyway i just did a google news search on Lampard FA Red Card and in 2008 alone he had 3 over turned and now one this year - that has to be much higher than the average...

Well aware of that. I made the reference about him as he was the other overturned red and being England captain plays its part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Well aware of that. I made the reference about him as he was the other overturned red and being England captain plays its part.

sorry didnt see your first post...

lee_arama wrote: »
    I believe it was the one where he miskicked the ball and collapsed like he'd been shot by the incoming Hammer. Might have been Mullins who was coming in to challenge.

Je$us, that's incredible. Are you seriously telling me that Gerrard dived there to win a free kick????
    He did an airshot and fell over??!!!!
    A dive!!!!!! That's really scraping the barrel there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

No. I hate Lampard, Terry the Special one and Chelsea FC. The FA are looking guilty of favouritism in my opinion and there is certainly a case to be argued.

The favouritism is just shockingly stacked towards Chelsea isn't it?

Lets look at the last few years I mean its just ridiculous.

08/09 Season Red Cards: Chelsea = 4 Man U = 2
    07/08 Season Red Cards: Chelsea = 6 Man U = 2
    06/07 Season Red Cards: Chelsea = 3 Man U = 1
    05/06 Season Red Cards: Chelsea = 5 Man U = 2

Total Chelsea = 18 Man U = 7.

The refs are just showing way too much favouritism towards Chelsea aren't they? You have every right to hate them for it, its gone beyond a joke at this stage.

I mean of course United get no favouritism at all do they. The David Beckham elbow to the face against Leeds. Wasn't booked as he was high profile for England at the time. The countless cards Rooney doesn't get for screaming abuse at refs and diving. The countless cards Ronaldo doesn't get for diving. The discipline that was never dished out for United players chasing a ref half way round the pitch. I see your point and totally agree with you. Its all Chelsea, United are totally innocent and need more protection from the refs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Terry's and Lampards where right to be recinded. No complaints here.

• Advertisement

You're not in control of the ball with your foot 20 at around knee height with your studs showing,
    The rule is simple, it's the refs decision is it was a bad tackle. There's no automatic red card for studs up and feet off the ground.
    In fact go to google news and search for mike reilly or lampard and EVERY match report says it was a bad decision, the FA thought it was a bad, and even Mike Reilly thought it was a bad. You're on your own if you think it's a red.

iregk wrote: »
    The favouritism is just shockingly stacked towards Chelsea isn't it?

Lets look at the last few years I mean its just ridiculous.

08/09 Season Red Cards: Chelsea = 4 Man U = 2
    07/08 Season Red Cards: Chelsea = 6 Man U = 2
    06/07 Season Red Cards: Chelsea = 3 Man U = 1
    05/06 Season Red Cards: Chelsea = 5 Man U = 2

Total Chelsea = 18 Man U = 7.

The refs are just showing way too much favouritism towards Chelsea aren't they? You have every right to hate them for it, its gone beyond a joke at this stage.

I mean of course United get no favouritism at all do they. The David Beckham elbow to the face against Leeds. Wasn't booked as he was high profile for England at the time. The countless cards Rooney doesn't get for screaming abuse at refs and diving. The countless cards Ronaldo doesn't get for diving. The discipline that was never dished out for United players chasing a ref half way round the pitch. I see your point and totally agree with you. Its all Chelsea, United are totally innocent and need more protection from the refs.

I am talking about rescinded cards here not volume of cards but as you brought it up your stats are pointless in fairness. If you bother to look you will find that over the past 10 years or more Man Utd are constantly near the bottm of the cards table. Go look it up and prove me wrong ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I am talking about rescinded cards here not volume of cards but as you brought it up your stats are pointless in fairness. If you bother to look you will find that over the past 10 years or more Man Utd are constantly near the bottm of the cards table. Go look it up and prove me wrong ?

Hahaha. So you still claim that the league is unfair to united and completely biased towards Chelsea despite the fact that you acknowledge a lack of cards against united. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

dfx- wrote: »
    article-1133530-0343B03B000005DC-902_468x361.jpg

I can't find the IT picture from behind Lampard :( - not too dissimilar from Riley's viewpoint - at this exact moment where both feet are off the ground. Red Card.

Oh FFS get a life, it was NOT a red card. get over it. Gerrard's tackle 5 minutes before it was more deserving of a red card, which wasn't given, and rightly so :rolleyes:

Bitter much? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    Oh FFS get a life, it was NOT a red card. get over it. Gerrard's tackle 5 minutes before it was more deserving of a red card, which wasn't given, and rightly so :rolleyes:

Why wasn't it then. Gerrard's tackle has nothing to do with it. Why was a feet-off-the-ground with studs showing tackle not a red card?

Why wasn't it then. Gerrard's tackle has nothing to do with it. Why was a feet-off-the-ground with studs showing tackle not a red card?
    Like gerrard's tackle you mean? And the word you're looking for is foot, not feet. This would be an example of a tackle with both feet off the ground...
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=20If7fnKSyg

Bitter much? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

what the **** would I have to be bitter over? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

what the **** would I have to be bitter over? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The fact that Lampard got his red card rescinded after nearly killing poor Xabi Alonso :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Both feet are off the ground. Again, no explanation why that isn't a red card offence. Lampard cannot be in control of the ball or himself in flight. That he got the ball is irrelevant and again, Gerrard's tackle - a red too - is irrelevant to why Lampard should not be sent off for that.

It wasn't a red card. Riley f*cked up and his mess has been cleared up. Gerrard's one wasn't a red card. Bosingwa's one was. There's really nothing more needs to be said on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

It's threads like this that really annoy me,

" I hate fat Frank; therefore the FA are arseholes and it's a giant conspiracy. Utd/Liverpool/Who ever i happen to support are the best, waaa, waaa, waaah, etc, etc"

Can you not give an opinion on wherther the overruling was right or wrong, without resorting to childish name calling.

Both feet are off the ground. Again, no explanation why that isn't a red card offence. Lampard cannot be in control of the ball or himself in flight. That he got the ball is ireelevant and so is Gerrard's tackle is too.
    No, his left foot is trailing on the ground as he makes the tackle. it's pretty stupid of you to say Gerrard's tackle is irrelevant too, as it's clearly not. Can't have one rule for Frank and one for Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevie G, can you?Was Alonso in control of the ball then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

so this lampard thread is about steven gerrard now yeah?

is every thread on this forum a thinly veiled "liverpool vs. utd" thread? categorically - yes

No, his left foot is trailing on the ground as he makes the tackle. it's pretty stupid of you to say Gerrard's tackle is irrelevant too, as it's clearly not. Can't have one rule for Frank and one for Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevie G, can you?Was Alonso in control of the ball then?

They are both in the air. It may not look like it, but they are. That's why I tried to look for Riley's perspective behind Lampard where it clearly shows it. Do I actually have to scan the thing in? :eek:

Why is it? Did Gerrard's tackle make it ok for Lampard to go in like that? Gerrard got away with it, Lampard didn't, but both are red card tackles. If you're saying Alonso's attempt is as bad as Lampard's then there's something wrong somewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement