Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lampard wins appeal over red card

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Jazzy wrote: »
    so this lampard thread is about steven gerrard now yeah?

is every thread on this forum a thinly veiled "liverpool vs. utd" thread? categorically - yes
    I don't support United, thanks for your concern though. I was merely pointing out that the Gerrard tackle was a similar one and was completely overlooked ;)

dfx- wrote: »
    They are both in the air. It may not look like it, but they are. That's why I tried to look for Riley's perspective behind Lampard where it clearly shows it. Do I actually have to scan the thing in? :eek:

Why is it? Did Gerrard's tackle make it ok for Lampard to go in like that? Gerrard got away with it, Lampard didn't, but both are red card tackles. If you're saying Alonso's attempt is as bad as Lampard's then there's something wrong somewhere.
    I've watched in on video several times, and IMO his 2 feet were not in the air.

I asked was alonso in control of the ball, which seems to be a central point of your argument...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Alonso was not in control of the ball, Alonso also wasn't off his feet and in control of himself. Knowingly repeating myself, had Alonso backed out of the tackle with Lampard's studs showing at knee height, he may have had a serious injury.

It looks like I'm going to have find that picture now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

No surprise there then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

It wasen't an especially dangerous tackle - it was just a bad decision by Mike Riley of course it should have been overturned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

iregk wrote: »
    Hahaha. So you still claim that the league is unfair to united and completely biased towards Chelsea despite the fact that you acknowledge a lack of cards against united. Brilliant.

I think your missing the point about the rescinded cards. I didnt bring up volume that was you. If United have much less cards than Chelsea then thats because they are not a shower of dirty bastards and about a decade of being toward the bottom of the card table proves that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

It wasn't a red. I hate Lampard but you have to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I really do think it was a red and should have stood, but aside from that, I think this really highlights how stupid the FA rules are.

Lampard's red is able to get rescinded because the ref made a mistake, but Boswinga isn't able to get a red because the ref saw it and decided to take no action. So you can get cards taken off you if the ref makes a mistake but not cards given to you. Idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

anybody that believes it was a red card is just obsessed with hating lampard. i think he was horribly wronged. i have no affiliation or bias towards either club but IN MY OPINION, Alonsos actions were more dangerous and lampard was lucky he didnt get the serious injury.

bad decision and was only right it was rescinded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

PHB wrote: »
    I really do think it was a red and should have stood, but aside from that, I think this really highlights how stupid the FA rules are.

Lampard's red is able to get rescinded because the ref made a mistake, but Boswinga isn't able to get a red because the ref saw it and decided to take no action. So you can get cards taken off you if the ref makes a mistake but not cards given to you. Idiotic.

+1
    Im a Chelsea fan and I wouldnt have felt aggrieved if this had happened, Lampard never should have got a red but Bosingwa certainly should have, it was rediculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

mayordenis wrote: »
    Lampard lunged in with both feet off the ground one of those is potentially career ending, the other not so much.

Have you ever played the game? What lampard did was a simple stretch for the ball. No intent to injure. Career threatening??? What? There are so many situations in the course of every game where the part of your foot used to make contact with the ball is the sole of your foot (i.e. where your studs are). Just because they are up doesn't automatically mean you're trying to 'do' someone. To say Lampard had left the ground and lost control over his actions is a load of Betty Swollocks, you can have 1 or both feet off the ground and still have control on what you're doing. Try Triple-Jumping. If you're going by the studs-up = red definition every game will end 7-a-side.

Take a look at this, notice a difference in intent. Freezeframe it at 0.09. He's flying in 100mph studs up. Monumental difference between the 2 yet this isn't even a foul and Jags doesn't even complain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22e4D1txFX4&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Trilla wrote: »
    Correct decision

and no forced transfer in Fan Premier League :)
    Doesn't bring back the 6 points I lost for having him as captain though (-3 for a red card). :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Have you ever played the game? What lampard did was a simple stretch for the ball. No intent to injure. Career threatening???

I had my thigh bone broken(well fractured whatever) in a tackle not dis-similar to that, I doubt to many people know let alone have experienced a femur being broken, it's pretty ****ty and very hard to break. But someone in the air with all there weight on their leading foot can do it.
    And more than that you can feck off putting words in my mouth, I know Lampard had absolutely no intent to injure him, but like a few years ago when he broke xabi's ankle, he didn't intend to do it, yet he still put in a reckless tackle.

It's not just about intent. So anyway keep your stupid comments to yourself thanks.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I had my thigh bone broken(well fractured whatever) in a tackle not dis-similar to that, I doubt to many people know let alone have experienced a femur being broken, it's pretty ****ty and very hard to break. But someone in the air with all there weight on their leading foot can do it.
    And more than that you can feck off putting words in my mouth, I know Lampard had absolutely no intent to injure him, but like a few years ago when he broke xabi's ankle, he didn't intend to do it, yet he still put in a reckless tackle.

It's not just about intent. So anyway keep your stupid comments to yourself thanks.

Wow! What's your problem? I quoted 1 part of your reply as an opener to my point, i'm not putting any words in your mouth. Pathetic.

If you're advocating red for Lampards challenge then every game will finish 7-a-side. Simple as that. It's a nothing challenge and no more/less likely to cause serious injury than tons of tackles every game. It's a 50-50 ball and he can reach it with the sole of his foot, he's entitled to go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    anybody that believes it was a red card is just obsessed with hating lampard. i think he was horribly wronged. i have no affiliation or bias towards either club but IN MY OPINION, Alonsos actions were more dangerous and lampard was lucky he didnt get the serious injury.

bad decision and was only right it was rescinded.

Who do you support? I'm just wondering, nothing to do with this thread or anything.

• Advertisement

Look, seriously, Lampards tackle was a yellow at most. Gerrard's was a yellow. Bosingwa's was a red. I don't understand the debate.
    I can't stand Fat Frank, but when i saw the red being shown, i couldn't believe it and it was always going to be rescinded. There is not Chelsea bias here from the F.A in this instance, Riley just ****ed up. As he tends to do on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Why do so many people hate Lampard ? maybe it deserves its own thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

redout wrote: »
    I am talking about rescinded cards here not volume of cards but as you brought it up your stats are pointless in fairness. If you bother to look you will find that over the past 10 years or more Man Utd are constantly near the bottm of the cards table. Go look it up and prove me wrong ?

When put on top of using such charming language as "hate", "fat", and referring to the FA as a "mob" - this post really amounts to the icing on the cake.

Gentlemen, Frank Lampard is not fat. Could anyone explain to me how or why he came by such a nickname?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    When put on top of using such charming language as "hate", "fat", and referring to the FA as a "mob" - this post really amounts to the icing on the cake.

Gentlemen, Frank Lampard is not fat. Could anyone explain to me how or why he came by such a nickname?

He used to be chubby and i don't like him. It's pathetic i know, but it makes me feel all the better about myself.
    I know he didn't eat all the pies, but i just like implying he did. I'm just some poster on Boards, he's a millionaire footballer, so f*ck it!!
    I'm not being smart here, Lloyd. It's just the way i feel!

fullstop wrote: »
    The fact that Lampard got his red card rescinded after nearly killing poor Xabi Alonso :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh dear. May I suggest that, for Liverpool fans at least, all of this stuff (Lampard's Red, Gerrard diving, Bosingwa's assault) is very much a secondary concern to their team's performance in the match and the eventual result.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    He used to be chubby and i don't like him. It's pathetic i know, but it makes me feel all the better about myself.
    I know he didn't eat all the pies, but i just like implying he did. I'm just some poster on Boards, he's a millionaire footballer, so f*ck it!!
    I'm not being smart here, Lloyd. It's just the way i feel!

To be fair, I like your answer. Have a lot of time for the directness of it!! :)

I'd personally feel kind of silly posting childish insults / namecalling of footballers / celebrities in general. But each to his own I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

my god, what short memories you all have.

Lampard's tackle was almost the exact same as Taylor's on Eduardo, feet of the ground, studs showing on the right boot going in on a player who was coming directly at him. Regardless of whether the player made contact with the ball (which Lampard was lucky to have in this case, could easily have gone the other way) that type of tackle simply should in now way be tolerated by the professional footballing community. It's absolute madness imo.

my god, what short memories you all have.

Lampard's tackle was almost the exact same as Taylor's on Eduardo, feet of the ground, studs showing on the right boot going in on a player who was coming directly at him. Regardless of whether the player made contact with the ball (which Lampard was lucky to have in this case, could easily have gone the other way) that type of tackle simply should in now way be tolerated by the professional footballing community. It's absolute madness imo.
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=-gFHWHFT2sc

How are they similar at all? Eduardo was in possession of the ball, which was on the ground. Martin Taylor was slow & clumsy (and even at that had his standing left foot planted).

The Lampard ball was a bouncing ball. 50-50. If anything Lampard is closer to the ball. As a professional footballer or a footballer at any level, you cant shirk out of a 50-50. What do you want him to do? Not go for it? He could reach it easily with the sole of his foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Ok, take out fat and hate but by all means leave mob as thats how I view the FA. I am just pissed about the whole Chelsea getting away with stuff scenario. I never once in this thread gave my opinion on lamps red. When I commented it was to get at the fact that Chelsea appear to be recieving preferential treatment from the FA and the three reds rescinded in twelve months is what really gets me pissed. Lets call it what it is, unheard of ! Another poster in this thread pointed out the fact that this is actually Lampards (not Chelsea) fourth rescinded card in the past year ! Now ffs dont tell me there is nothing at all odd about that. Terry also had a red rescinded. There is a valid arguement to be made here in all fairness. Apologies for the use of "fat" and "Hate" above if it got people going but I am really pissed with the situation at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

How are they similar at all?

i've watched both side by side. the players make very similar body movements, both feet off the ground, the right outstretched studs up, the left tucked under the body and going in at force.
    Eduardo was in possession of the ball, which was on the ground. Martin Taylor was slow & clumsy (and even at that had his standing left foot planted).

it was still ridiculously dangerous. i know he got the ball this time, but what happens next time if he goes in and the opposition player gets to the ball first? he'll just go straight through until he hits bone. that type of tackle is reckless, extremely reckless. he can't control his momentum.

simple analogy, some people are better drivers than other can can maintain control of a car at higher speeds than their lesser equivalents. but speeding is still speeding, and the punishment should and would be for both. why should it be any different in the case of football?

for the record, it's very easy to win a ball with that type of tackle and still do some serious damange to the other player. i've done it myself to someone. where the ball is should make no difference, it still has the potential to do serious harm.

The Lampard ball was a bouncing ball. 50-50. If anything Lampard is closer to the ball. As a professional footballer or a footballer at any level, you cant shirk out of a 50-50. What do you want him to do? Not go for it? He could reach it easily with the sole of his foot.

yeah, but studs showing? feet off the ground? how come there are plenty of other players able to win 50-50s like that without having to resort to dangerous tackles like that?

i've watched both side by side. the players make very similar body movements, both feet off the ground, the right outstretched studs up, the left tucked under the body and going in at force.

yeah, but studs showing? feet off the ground? how come there are plenty of other players able to win 50-50s like that without having to resort to dangerous tackles like that?
    Not being pedantic but i think the comparison is tenuous. Eduardo won the ball cleanly, the ball was on the ground, Taylor had no business going in over the top of the ball. Key being he went in studs showing over the top of the ball. In Lampards case, it's a bouncing ball. Sure, tons of players win 50-50s of bouncing balls with in-step, top of the foot or whatever, but plenty win them with the sole of their feet. Most don't even result in free kicks.

I'm not even convinced what Alonso is trying to do in this incident. It's a 50-50 as i've said and he's going in like he's trying to put it into Row Z. Not apportioning blame as there is none to apportion, but it's a strange one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lads,

Let's not forget that aimless name calling is against the charter. I don't think some people have copped that in this thread. Next person to refer to Lampard as 'fat' will be getting the card that the FA rightly rescinded.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

I think a lot of people would initially have thought "Oh, there's an England player from the big 4 getting off again, but if it was some foreigner from a 'lower' team, they'd never win the appeal". I thought it myself.

I don't think it was a red card at al. But I also think that if it wasn't Lampard (a high profile English player) and wasn't from the big 4 (Liverpool fan here) then the appeal would have failed. Like it has so many times before when it wasn't really a red card either.

I've no stats to back it up, that's just from casual memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Does all this mean we get the points back on fantasy football?

rgiller wrote: »
    Does all this mean we get the points back on fantasy football?
    No.

• Advertisement
Advertisement