Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Childcare Suppplement

Options
  • 03-02-2009 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭

Cut to 1000€, announced today.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

83euro a month now.
    And only until 5 years old.

At least it is not gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Knew they'd round that few cents downwards rather than upwards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Moonbeam wrote: »
    83euro a month now.
    And only until 5 years old.

At least it is not gone.

Yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Early childcare supplement - why does everyone get it ? My 5 & 1/2 year old who is in childcare needs it more than a 1 year old who is not !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

jenzz wrote: »
    Early childcare supplement - why does everyone get it ? My 5 & 1/2 year old who is in childcare needs it more than a 1 year old who is not !

Ah, because the 1 year old's parents will save it for when they do need childcare? Hopefully?

Also, it's not about your child. Other parents I'm sure have younger children in childcare perhaps?

I'd imagine if it had been announced that it's for over 5's only now and you worked full-time and had a one year old in childcare you'd be saying ;

"Five and a half year olds are in school, and after-school care isn't as expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is for pre school rather then childcare.
    The current government are screwing themselves out of ever been voted in again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

so parents who dont send their child to pre-school, they still get it?

and the parents who send their children to community creches still get it as well, as the childcare subvention?

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Ah, because the 1 year old's parents will save it for when they do need childcare? Hopefully?

Also, it's not about your child. Other parents I'm sure have younger children in childcare perhaps?

I'd imagine if it had been announced that it's for over 5's only now and you worked full-time and had a one year old in childcare you'd be saying ;

"Five and a half year olds are in school, and after-school care isn't as expensive.

Im not specifying " my " child - Im discussing every child who is in childcare over the age of 5 . Its 2 + children in childcare in most cases, afterschool care is expensive 5 days a week & why should someone receive a childcare supplement for 5 years if they are not paying for childcare as they choose to stay at home. Its like been giving a social welfare payment while working, giving someone illness benefit if they are not sick. We all discuss/give out about the people who claim benefits when not entitled to them & here we have a government handing out this payment to every parent of a child under 5 yet calling it an early childcare supplement. You automaticly receive it whether or not you are paying for childcare yet a child over the age in childcare is not entitled to it . Another non-sensical decision by our leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The funny thing is, if it was means tested the majority of working mothers who actually need the payment to help towards childcare would not receive it because they earn "too much" and the women who are stay at home mums would get it...

I think it is fairer that everyone gets it,same as childrens allowance but I would rather it was means tested to a fair level rather then scrapped.

The only way they could do something about childcare for working parents is if they provide tax relief on childcare but to do that they would charge tax on childcare in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

why should someone receive a childcare supplement for 5 years if they are not paying for childcare as they choose to stay at home.
    I don't understand why you would give a childcare supplement to people who go out to work and then pay a childminder, but not to a parent forgoing a salary to care for their child.

Does a mother who stays at home not come under your definition of childcare?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

...why should someone receive a childcare supplement for 5 years if they are not paying for childcare as they choose to stay at home. Its like been giving a social welfare payment while working, giving someone illness benefit if they are not sick. We all discuss/give out about the people who claim benefits when not entitled to them & here we have a government handing out this payment to every parent of a child under 5 yet calling it an early childcare supplement. You automaticly receive it whether or not you are paying for childcare yet a child over the age in childcare is not entitled to it . Another non-sensical decision by our leaders.

The reason this is paid to parents working both inside & outside the home is because parents who decide to stay home and look after their children themselves would effectively be penalised for doing so, which is anti constitutional. I don;t have the article of the constitution to hand but it's there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it was a half-assed scheme brought in to avoid having to do anything useful about the childcare crisis.

Its been suggested by several commentators that if they scrapped it, and the various incentives and tax-reliefs that they offer to creche-owners, there'd be enough money to introduce a universal pre-school education system like they have in many European countries. Dunno if thats true, but the current ECS is a drop in the ocean compared to the actual cost of private childcare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

the constitution, article 41.2
    "Subsection 2: The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.

Thats why everyone gets it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

In the next budget, I can see it being means-tested along with the Children's Allowance. Families with two working parents will definitely not be eligible for it, which is not fair. Only the super wealthy should be targeted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

Im not specifying " my " child - Im discussing every child who is in childcare over the age of 5 . Its 2 + children in childcare in most cases, afterschool care is expensive 5 days a week & why should someone receive a childcare supplement for 5 years if they are not paying for childcare as they choose to stay at home. Its like been giving a social welfare payment while working, giving someone illness benefit if they are not sick. We all discuss/give out about the people who claim benefits when not entitled to them & here we have a government handing out this payment to every parent of a child under 5 yet calling it an early childcare supplement. You automaticly receive it whether or not you are paying for childcare yet a child over the age in childcare is not entitled to it . Another non-sensical decision by our leaders.

That's rubbish. Any family that has a mother who decides to stay at home to look after their children while they are young, subsequently halving the family income, is in even more need of those benefits than a two income family and god knows they earn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Often the reason a parent stays at home with children is that it is not worth their while to work financially with the cost of childcare!!!!

For a childs social development they do need to attend a playschool for a year before they go to school, so thats one year accounted for re ECS for a child with a parent at home. Most attend for two years.

Without the CB and ECS a lot of families would pinned against a wall, especially if one parent does not work outside the home.

I can't see why anyone would begrudge these families the ECS.

More often than not, unless there are serious earners involved, the average family is in a similiar financial situation regardless of whether both parents work or not.

Instead of grumbling about everyone getting the ECS maybe the grumbling could be directed at the cost of childcare in this country. Mind you, if we did more than grumble, it wouldn't be the way it is.

That's rubbish. Any family that has a mother who decides to stay at home to look after their children while they are young, subsequently halving the family income, is in even more need of those benefits than a two income family and god knows they earn it.

a one parent family with one income working every hour to pay childcare so i dont claim additional benifits from the state & claim everything going yet loosing an early childcare supplement as they call it . Thats all im saying

Advertisement