Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing employment before traveling

Options
  • 03-02-2009 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a degree in Electronic and Computer Engineering and 1 1/2 years experience working as a Software Engineer. I'm thinking of moving to Australia to work for a year (at least). But I don't really want to leave my current job until I have something sorted over there, due to the current economic climate. I've heard stories of people traveling to Oz lately and been stuck without work and this isn't a position I want to get myself into.

So my questions are:
    1) How hard is it to secure employment before traveling?
    2) Should I go through agencies (if so, any suggestions on good ones) or just email my C.V to relevant companies?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Anyone? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

1 :) It is very hard to secure employment while here never mind while in abroad.

2:) You can try both however your location and the fact your not permanent will drop you down the list.

There is no Guarantee of work in Oz at all, be prepared to Fruit pick or something along those lines.

If you are planning to leave a good secure job in Ireland for a WHV be sure you can afford to spend some time(Months?) out of work and you have savings to support you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I agree with Zambia,

Its becoming more and more apparent everyday that we, who already have jobs here in oz will be returning to Ireland to draw the dole. Things are really going down the sh!tter.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Thanks for the replies.

I would be trying to get a skilled migrant visa rather than a WHV. Would this make much of a difference? Afaik I can stay for up to 5 years on this visa so from the point of view of the employer I would be pretty much permanent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

bman wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I would be trying to get a skilled migrant visa rather than a WHV. Would this make much of a difference? Afaik I can stay for up to 5 years on this visa so from the point of view of the employer I would be pretty much permanent.

Yes it would , it will still be hard. Plus by the time it gets processed everything could have changed the current situation should not worry you the one in a year should

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 kensingtondell

Hey bman,

Did you go in the end? If so, How are software engineers jobs out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hey bman,

Did you go in the end? If so, How are software engineers jobs out there?

Best to PM the OP I think.

Advertisement