Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Technology in UL

• 03-02-2009 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hello,
    I'm just wondering if anyone who does the Music Technology postgrad could help me out? I'm looking into different courses at the mo and was just wondering if I could get an insiders view.
    Is the course mainly computer based or performance (not a performer)?
    Oh and is Grade 4 in Music Theory essential?
    I have experience with radio work, protools, garageband, soundtrack pro etc. are these programmes used?
    Would appreciate any responses!
    Thanks Guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

If you want to do that course dont expect to be doing anything much musical in first year...or second year...and so on. Had loads of freinds do it and it totally put me off it. I ended up doing a sound engineering course in fas tralee instead and i learned more hands on stuff there in 3 months than people i know in music tech have in 4 years. Plus i was paid money to do that course aswell, 200 bones a week(you even get more if your traveling down to tralee and you get rent allowance as far as im aware).

This is just my opinion here but if your looking for a hands on course id go for fas sound engineering or radio production. If you have an interest in computery stuff like java and a less hands on approach go for MMPT in UL. Tis still a great course just make sure you know what your getting yourself in for.

Another good alternitave is sound engineering in L.I.T, thatd be kinda the middle ground. Its a fantastic course.

O yea forgot to mention, the fas and lit courses require no real musicmanship, but its a bonus. The UL course has more of a music influence to the best of my knowlege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Pumpkinseed

thanks a million for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

think very carefully about what you want to do when you finish whatever course you choose

if you simply want to be a sound engineer either live or in the studio or a producer or anything along those lines doing any of these courses is not the way to do it

if you have an interest in the subject are open to other areas that are directly and indirectly relevant(ie dont bitch about doing maths / programming and just get threw it) then the course might be for you as long as you realise you will be no further along in your career path(in terms of music / recording) coming out of the course as someone coming out of school

also this is only the third year of the course so no1 knows what they are going to know at the end of the four years :p

oh ye and i do the sister course digital media design but i did sound engineering and music production straight out of school for two years. dont regret doing it at all but nothing i learned helped me get a 'career' in a related area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 narida

I'm just wondering why everyone is talking about MMPT? (S)He asked about postgrad music technology!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

narida wrote: »
    I'm just wondering why everyone is talking about MMPT? (S)He asked about postgrad music technology!

ha ha man we are stupid

edit; you need more than practical experience to do the post grad i applied for ti with basicall all the experience you listed accept a primary degree so just letting you know just in case

• Advertisement
Advertisement