Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making .DAT into something useful

Options
  • 03-02-2009 6:39pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all!

I've been given a VCD from India and I'm supposed to show it to some people here. It's about a project over there, and they got it made for free so they can't complain to the person who made it that VCDs aren't used in Ireland and so is pretty useless! So now, it's been passed to me, hope someone can help.

VCD is their version of DVD. It's pretty much video quality, on a CD, and plays in their VCD players, and from the files I can get it to work on VLC player.

So, when I open the file I ripped from the CD I get 4 folders; VCD, MPEGAV, SEGMENT, and EXT. If I click and drag the mpeg one to vlc I can watch the video.

The problem is I need to get it into iMovie to make a DVD. inside the mpegav file (and others) are .DAT files, that can be transferred to iMovie but it loses the audio.

So, any genius out there know how to make it so that the sound comes along too?
    I would be very very grateful!
    Thanks!
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

try mpegstreamclip and export it as dv or quicktime.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

try renaming .dat to .mpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

most dvd players would play a vcd anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

decob wrote: »
    try mpegstreamclip and export it as dv or quicktime.
    +1 !
    subway wrote: »
    most dvd players would play a vcd anyway

+1!!

VCD is nothing unusual.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I found something called Aimer Video converter, that converted it for me (with their ugly watermark til I buy it), the problem is is that the sound doesn't come with it. So there's no point in me buying a video converter until I discover why it is that if I play it on VLC player it's fine, but if I use the same DAT file I used for VLC player and try to convert it, the sound doesn't come with it.
    Argh! My head is wrecked with this! But thanks for the suggestion.

• Advertisement

Aw no! I had no idea they worked in normal DVD players, so I took the files and left the CD in India!
    I'm a slightly stupid....

And I'm guessing popping these files back on a CD won't work either. VCDs have never worked on my laptop's DVD player, so I just presumed it was the same for all DVD players.

this guide should get you started
    http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/54/59/

tmpegenc is available on a free trial

dory wrote: »
    Aw no! I had no idea they worked in normal DVD players, so I took the files and left the CD in India!
    I'm a slightly stupid....

And I'm guessing popping these files back on a CD won't work either. VCDs have never worked on my laptop's DVD player, so I just presumed it was the same for all DVD players.
    using nero, selct burn vcd in the wizard, find your dat and it will burn it as a new vcd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

dory wrote: »
    I found something called Aimer Video converter, that converted it for me (with their ugly watermark til I buy it), the problem is is that the sound doesn't come with it. So there's no point in me buying a video converter until...

mpegstreamclip is free! no watermark, nothing!

Also SUPER is another alternative - more conversion options.

One or both of these will work AND free!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

you might have an iso file try iso buster to extract avi file

• Advertisement

Just want to say thank you everyone for your help! I managed to get it on youtube in the end. The mpegstreamclip was just what I needed!

Advertisement