Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing dogs ?

Options
  • 03-02-2009 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I wonder what anyone thinks of this - I have 2 dogs - and I agree that 2 provide companionship for each other - I would never have just one dog again. However I often have to work away from home overnight, in which cases I use dogwalkers. It can be expensive though and I often thought that there must be other people who would love to have dogs and would be happy to share ownership. This would split bills and get around owners having to be away. What does anyone else think ? btw, i love my dogs and will keep paying for dogwalkers when i have to. I am very careful even about the dogwalkers I use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I don't know about how it would work from the dog's perspective, but as a single person who works full time, I think it would be a great idea! I often thought if only I had a suitable neighbour who would co-own a dog with me, I would finally be able to get one.

Working out all the logistics though would be difficult - almost like a joint custody arrangement for children - who gets the dogs when? -what if both people want to go away at the same time? - who pays the vet bills if an accident happens on one person's watch? - what if someone wanted to move away?

So, in theory, great plan! In practise it would probably be v. complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

I think what would be better is that each person would own one dog each but often have the other person's dog staying over.

I have two dogs that keep each other company, but we take my parents-in-law dog every so often so that all three can continue to be friends and get on together. This works out well for all of us, as when they go on holidays we mind their dog without any difficulty and they can do the same for us. It also means if we are going to stay the night at their house, or are up for a long day we can bring the dogs and leave them there without having to worry about them being on their own. Or worry about my parents-in-law having difficulty minding our dogs as it like a second home to them (with less strict rules of course :p)

Advertisement