Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow: please teach your children...

Options
  • 03-02-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Whilst all the kids are having a ball with building snowmen and snow ball fights; please teach your children not to throw them at cars.... and explain why...

As a car driver navigating extremely dangerous roads, there is nothing more frightening than hearing a loud thump and thinking you've hit a child or dog out playing.

It just isn't funny and simply jumping from the noise can be enough to put a car into a skid. It's stressful enough driving in these conditions with out having to run the gauntlet as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Hear !Hear !and so say all of us.
    Driving in Clane this afternoon and a gang of kids on a hill threw about 5/6 snowballs at my car.I got such a shock as I thought I had hit something and swerved nearly hitting the curb.Should have rang the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I was driving on the n4 and thre were kids throwing from an overhead footbridge.

This drove me insane as whilst growing up a young guy I knew well suffered due to a brick being thrown from an overhead bridge at the m50. I'm sure many people heard of this before. Unfortunately he later passe away due to the injuries he received then, even though it was a few years later.

Kids just dont realise how these gags can affect people. The kids who threw that brick are now adults, and know what they did was wrong I am sure but I doubt they are even aware of the fact that their victim later died. Stories like this should be passed to the young so they realise that even though they may not see instant damage it can come back years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Also...

Snow: please teach your children... to avoid eating yellow snow.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

yes, please
    5 kids ran out at me today and threw a mountainous snowball at my windscreen and broke the wiper.

i couldnt see a thing a ended up hitting the kerb, i though i had killed one of the kids.

i phoned the police and they said there was nothing they could do, as they were only children.

please explain the dangers of this to your children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

/sigh

So some idiots who are parents didn't think to tell thier kids not to throw snowballs at cars. OK cool I can accept that and that it's very dangerous and ye all must have got an awful land, terrible thing to have happen.

So thanks for reminding the good parents in here to not over look such a rule with our own kids.

I did a run down of 'snow rules' with mine yesterday and they thankfully rolled
    thier eyes at me when I said you only throw snowballs at those 'in' a snowball fight
    and finished my sentence when started I to explain throwing a snowball at a car was like throwing stones at a car as it is something 'we' don't do as it is dangerous and damaging other people's property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Kids will be kids. You tell them not to do something and, well, they'll do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Cant belive your been told by the guarda there is nothing they can do as "they are children" they are there to proctect us,so why couldent they go to the bridge and bring them home to there useless parents,at least warn them off. I thought we were subbosed to be proctected by the GUARDA,who payes there wages.C**P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Kids will be kids. You tell them not to do something and, well, they'll do it.

Which is why you don't tell them. You explain the reasons to them so that they agree not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

So some idiots who are parents didn't think to tell thier kids not to throw snowballs at cars.
    Actually you would be surprised at the number of parents I've talked to who didn't see what the problem was - "...it's only snow...sure they're only playing....it's a bit of fun...."

Well if it's so much fun, why don't you get into your car and drive up and down and let them fire snowballs at you and leave the rest of the motorists alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Kildrought wrote: »
    Actually you would be surprised at the number of parents I've talked to who didn't see what the problem was - "...it's only snow...sure they're only playing....it's a bit of fun...."

Well if it's so much fun, why don't you get into your car and drive up and down and let them fire snowballs at you and leave the rest of the motorists alone?

So i should post in the motoring forum chastising motorists to be mindful of pedestrians in the snow because one eejit nearly hit me yesterday? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

LolaDub wrote: »
    So i should post in the motoring forum chastising motorists to be mindful of pedestrians in the snow because one eejit nearly hit me yesterday? :rolleyes:

Nah...that's their parents fault also for not raising them right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

...should post in the motoring forum ..... because one eejit nearly hit me yesterday
    Did everyone you related the story to tell you that the car driver was just having a bit of fun and it wouldn't have hurt you anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

can we not have this turn into a bitch fest please, kthksbye

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The "snowball" that hit my car on tuesday has caused €500-€600 damage:mad:

Advertisement