Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'm thinking of voting yes this time to Lisbon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

djpbarry wrote: »
    That's a cop-out. If you're not prepared to argue a point then why make the point in the first place?

Yes you're right. It was a flourish of subjective opinion and I should have kept my mouth shut.

How about a few reasons based on the content of the treaty?

But you see I don't care about the content of a treaty that people were not consulted on. Like I say, it could be the best treaty in the world and because of the anti-democratic way it has been arrived at I'd still have to vote no on behalf of those people who are being given no opportunity to do so.
    Ah, you mean the way I know lots of people whose opinion was sought prior to the drafting of the latest budget? Oh no, wait; I don't.

Exactly. Make no mistake, it is the same class of people we are dealing with in both instances. Of course our opinion should have been canvassed regarding the budget and indeed the whole handling of the financial crisis.
    I find this extremely unlikely given how little most people seem to know about EU institutions.

So how then can people properly participate in a system of which they know little?
    So Ireland wasn't consulted in the drafting of the treaty and neither was any other European nation? So the treaty just materialised out of thin air, did it?

It materialised out of the minds of Eurocrats, the political elite and their mates in the corporate oligarchy.
    You think the EU should not do anything without the express consent of the population? In that case, what’s the point in electing representatives?

I don't believe that there is any in the current climate. Whatever elected representatives are on offer are funded by vested interest lobbies. Also the gap between elections is so long and capacity to bribe the electorate so entrenched as to render voting useless.
    You mean you will continue to vote 'No' until the treaty is ratified according to your wishes? That's not terribly democratic, is it?

I will continue voting no until the document demonstrates that it has been arrived at with the wishes of the majority of the common people of Europe and when acceptance of it is put to a vote across Europe.

Okay, I'll tell you what- You show me exactly where in the Treaty there can be future amendments without consent of all member states, and I'll show you why there can't be. We'll see whose argument holds up better to scrutiny. I've even given you the article to look through to make it easier for you. Do you accept that challenge?

As for the rest of the post, other's have covered it better than I can, but, here, knock yourself out.

Yes but you see "all member states" drafted the treaty. Therefore "all member states" can alter the treaty. What I am saying is that "all member states" is not a proxy for "the People of Europe" although it most certainly should be. Rather there is a cynical neo-liberal corporatist political class who are funded by people whose interests run contrary to the people of Europe. I do not accept that they represent the people they purport to represent and therefore agreeing to their treaty leaves the door open to them altering that treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Rather there is a cynical neo-liberal corporatist political class who are funded by people whose interests run contrary to the people of Europe.

or its a intergovernmental organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I disagree strongly with O'Coonassa but due to fundamental differences of opinion there is little point in debating the particulars of the Lisbon treaty as we will probably never arrive at an agreement.

O'Coonassa seems to hold the position that everyone's opinion is equal, whereas I place great value upon knowledge and experience. This view does not fit the social democratic utopian vision of many and so they reject it for ideological reasons ignoring the pragmatic benefits of seeking the views of those who actually know what they're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    Yes but you see "all member states" drafted the treaty. Therefore "all member states" can alter the treaty. What I am saying is that "all member states" is not a proxy for "the People of Europe" although it most certainly should be.

Wow, that's a serious shift in argument. You said: "however innocuous the treaty may appear they can rewrite it on the fly without any recourse to a referendum". Again, I must emphasise that no future amendments can be made to the treaties without the consent of all member states. This is a public forum; it does a disservice to the board to leave incorrect statements unchallenged. There is enough misinformation being spread around about the Treaty.

As for the main point of your argument, it's an idealogical/rhetorical one that I have no interest in. I'm more interested in facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Like I say, it could be the best treaty in the world and because of the anti-democratic way it has been arrived at I'd still have to vote no on behalf of those people who are being given no opportunity to do so.
    So do you think that Ireland should not have ratified the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights? I could be wrong, but I don’t think too many nations (if any) voted on it’s ratification.
    Exactly. Make no mistake, it is the same class of people we are dealing with in both instances. Of course our opinion should have been canvassed regarding the budget and indeed the whole handling of the financial crisis.
    Wow. Way to miss the point.
    So how then can people properly participate in a system of which they know little?
    My point exactly; opinions that are not based on fact are worthless. Take the example above regarding the budget. Suppose the entire population was polled on the subject and the result was that the majority of the population wanted to see a 50% increase in public spending combined with a 10% reduction in tax revenue; what then? Should the government bankrupt the country because an ignorant electorate says so? Or should they do what they think is best for the country?
    It materialised out of the minds of Eurocrats, the political elite and their mates in the corporate oligarchy.
    Eh, no. It was drafted by the elected representatives of the people of Europe.
    I don't believe that there is any in the current climate. Whatever elected representatives are on offer are funded by vested interest lobbies. Also the gap between elections is so long and capacity to bribe the electorate so entrenched as to render voting useless.
    You don’t think we need a government?
    I will continue voting no until the document demonstrates that it has been arrived at with the wishes of the majority of the common people of Europe and when acceptance of it is put to a vote across Europe.
    So if the majority of people decide that they want the treaty to include provisions for ensuring that everyone in Europe has a free life-time subscription to Sky Sports, we should just roll with that?

Joking aside, you realise how difficult it was for 27 nations to reach a consensus on which this treaty was based? Any idea how difficult it would be for 500 million people to reach a consensus? How long would it take? How much time and money would be wasted? Is it even possible for such a consensus to be reached?
    … there is a cynical neo-liberal corporatist political class who are funded by people whose interests run contrary to the people of Europe.
    We’re branching into conspiracy theory now.

So do you think that Ireland should not have ratified the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights? I could be wrong, but I don’t think too many nations (if any) voted on it’s ratification.

No that's a different issue.

Wow. Way to miss the point.

My point exactly; opinions that are not based on fact are worthless. Take the example above regarding the budget. Suppose the entire population was polled on the subject and the result was that the majority of the population wanted to see a 50% increase in public spending combined with a 10% reduction in tax revenue; what then? Should the government bankrupt the country because an ignorant electorate says so? Or should they do what they think is best for the country?

lol in a democracy the Government of course should do what the electorate says. Why is the electorate ignorant and how can there be democracy if the electorate is ignorant of the issues? That would only be a sham of a democracy surely?
    Eh, no. It was drafted by the elected representatives of the people of Europe.

I'd say at least a third of the people of Europe don't even vote and in Euro elections around half don't bother AFAIK. I'd hazard a guess that they don't have any elected reps because they don't think too much of the ones on offer. It's not at all as representative as you're making out.
    You don’t think we need a government?

Of course we need to govern ourselves.
    So if the majority of people decide that they want the treaty to include provisions for ensuring that everyone in Europe has a free life-time subscription to Sky Sports, we should just roll with that?

Joking aside, you realise how difficult it was for 27 nations to reach a consensus on which this treaty was based? Any idea how difficult it would be for 500 million people to reach a consensus? How long would it take? How much time and money would be wasted? Is it even possible for such a consensus to be reached?

I believe so anyway. I think even that the common people of all Earth could reach a concensus. As for making a Sky a public service broadcaster like the BCC I think that'd be a popular move and quite do-able lol
    We’re branching into conspiracy theory now.

Not really, it's just the way the world works. There's no need to be any conspiracy with so much greed around it just happens quite naturally unless there are adequate safeguards. Which of course there aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Like I say in my initial post I've written to them on their website and written to MEP's directly and had no joy with them. On those few occasions where they did deign to answer my queries they were met with fudge. I have met nobody who was consulted on the treaty but I have met people who have been consulted in various marketing surveys and indeed have been a participant myself. I know that's not a very scientific way of judging the consultation process but it's all I have at my disposal.

I was in Swaziland at the time they were drafting and implementing their new constitution. Swaziland is an absolute monarchy and about as anti-democratic a place as you can get. Still there was more evidence of consultation and more public debate generated in this one small country than I have seen evidence of here.

Swaziland, however, doesn't have half a billion citizens - it has, instead, a population about the size of Dublin (and were you consulted on the DTO's traffic plans for the Green?).
    O'Coonassa wrote:
    Yes but you see "all member states" drafted the treaty. Therefore "all member states" can alter the treaty. What I am saying is that "all member states" is not a proxy for "the People of Europe" although it most certainly should be. Rather there is a cynical neo-liberal corporatist political class who are funded by people whose interests run contrary to the people of Europe. I do not accept that they represent the people they purport to represent and therefore agreeing to their treaty leaves the door open to them altering that treaty.

Ah, well there we're going to have to agree to fundamentally differ. You are part of the very small fraction of people who are interested in politics. Maybe 1% of people at most are actually interested in politics on an ongoing basis, and almost all arguments take place within that 1%. As a result, almost anyone who is actually involved in politics of their own free will is by that very fact unrepresentative of the wider public. Since standing as a representative is open to anyone, while the number of places available as a representative are limited to a few hundreds, there is no reason for there to be a gap in the market. At the end of the day, therefore, the only real test of how the 99% wish to be represented is by how they vote.

Therefore the claim that the people are not "really" represented by their elected representatives is, while easy to make, actually very improbable - it almost invariably collapses down to being the complaint of a member of the interested 1% whose political views the 99% are not interested in.
    I'd say at least a third of the people of Europe don't even vote and in Euro elections around half don't bother AFAIK. I'd hazard a guess that they don't have any elected reps because they don't think too much of the ones on offer. It's not at all as representative as you're making out.

Unfortunately for your hypothesis, not being interested in how politics happens is a valid viewpoint - and a very common one. Those people who don't care how they're represented, and are happy to leave the choice up to people who do care, are in fact represented, despite not voting.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

lol in a democracy the Government of course should do what the electorate says. Why is the electorate ignorant and how can there be democracy if the electorate is ignorant of the issues? That would only be a sham of a democracy surely?

Well, I'm tempted to pick up on the obvious point there, but I'm sure someone else will. However, no, the job of the government is not solely to "do what the electorate says" - it is to carry out the policies that they were elected to carry out, and to do what is necessary for the good of the country whether the electorate wants it or not.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

I know I'll get crucified for saying this, but here goes:

We are really a bit piece in the EU - if we are all to honest here for a country that has only 1% of the population we punch far above our weight. Ultimately we have prospered hugely from out membership. We are also in the midst of huge economic crises, and the need to strengthen our country's status for the future has to be paramount. I was surprised that this point was never brought up during all the debates for round one:

We are the only English speaking country in the EMU. In that small fact we hold a remarkably powerful trump card. I am not ignorant of the fact that there are many fine multi-linguists across the member states and that there are many accents within this fine country that are barely recognizable as English, but I think this is a massive 'natural resource' that we can and have used to our advantage. Therefore the more European we seem (i.e. vote Yes and ratify) the more legitimate a destination we are for FDI from the States.

And no, I wouldn't jump off a cliff just to please someone before you think of asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

There are other issues of more importance inducing me to vote no, mistrust of the manipulative nature of the political elite is just one of them.

That is a distinct issue, seperate completely from the Treaty. You should be voting for or against the Treaty based on its merits and worrying about who represents us and how in the proper forum, i.e. elections and direct dealings with those representatives.
    As for "am I qualified" to be consulted on a treaty that directly effects my future and that of my line well I don't see how you think I could possibly not be qualified. Democracy you see, that's how it works, it's a Greek word or so I'm told, meaning the rule of the People. In a corporatist oligarchy on the other hand the People would not be consulted.

Were you consulted on the Cluster Munitions Treaty last year, the text of which was agreed here in Dublin? Would you have been qualified to do so? I know I wouldn't have been. And here-in lies one of the biggest mis-interpretations of the vote last year. You were not voting on the Treaty itself, but on the amendment to the Constitution that would be required for the Treaty to be ratified by Ireland. We are never called upon to vote on an international Treaty directly AFAIK.

And what was intended in the "are you qualified" comment was to point out that this is a complex legal document (remember all the fuss over how hard it is to read?) that references other complex legal documents relating to the governance of a union of 27 countries. I don't think I'm particularly qualified to vote on that, at least not without going through a period of educating myself as to the specifics of the Treaty itself.
    Ireland has not been involved in the drafting of the treaty, if it had you would know lots of people whose opinion had been canvassed as to what the content should be. There would have been public debate on the provisions to be made. Nor was any any other European nation consulted on the matter. That is why if it was put to vote in most other places the People there would also say no.

The Irish people weren't canvassed on the previously mentioned Cluster Munitions Treaty. Even the Good Friday Agreement was negotiated by our Government on our behalf. That's one of the things we elect them to do. It's part of the job profile. If you are not happy with that and want it changed there's little point in talking to Europe about that, it's a domestic "issue". Although I can't imagine you'll find any great support for getting national involvement in the ratification of all treaties!
    I feel as a democrat that even if I agreed with the treaty I still have a duty to those people to vote no because in their not being asked democracy itself is being thwarted.

It's nice that you can judge other sovereign nations procedures for governance like that. I can't imagine you'd be too impressed though if other countries were questioning our systems democracy using their own imperfect standards as the base-line!
    Yes you're right. It was a flourish of subjective opinion and I should have kept my mouth shut.

If you're not willing to discuss a point that you riased on a discussion board then maybe you should have on that one!? :confused:
    But you see I don't care about the content of a treaty that people were not consulted on. Like I say, it could be the best treaty in the world and because of the anti-democratic way it has been arrived at I'd still have to vote no on behalf of those people who are being given no opportunity to do so.

So you would have voted No on the Cluster Munitions Treaty then? Wow! I mean, just wow! :rolleyes:

Educate themselves. The information is there.....just a thought.

Sounds to me like you've a much bigger issue with our democracy as a whole. But if voting for our representatives is indeed useless then why bother getting involved at all, even in discussions on the topic?

You can't, and the EU cannot, make this kind of demand. It is up to each member state to ratify as per their system and up to their people to change it if they are not happy. We did with Crotty 20 odd years ago. It seems that you cannot accept any other version of democracy other than your own, which itself is anti-democratic.

I have highlighted the important word there for you. And the State is as close as you can get to a proxy given that we elect those who speak on the States behalf. Anything closer and you're talking about removing the sovereign states in favour of a super-state EU where your voice and mine would be considerably weakened and concensus would be hard to come by given the broad range of cultures etc.

Exactly.

In this case who is to blame for the ignorance though? In an age of unprecented access to information surely the electorate are the ones at fault? And so how can any of us expect to get "proper" representation, if we as a body of people are in no position to even know what that is????

You can't blame the representatives for that now can you!?

sink wrote: »
    O'Coonassa seems to hold the position that everyone's opinion is equal,

Indeed. All men are equal. That's the fairest way. I believe the Nazi's did not see things like this and unfortunately for me and my kind they won the second world war ;)

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Swaziland, however, doesn't have half a billion citizens - it has, instead, a population about the size of Dublin (and were you consulted on the DTO's traffic plans for the Green?).

TBH size is not the issue. What was lacking in Europe that was present in technologically backwards/poorly serviced Swaziland was the will. The political class of Europe did not even attempt to raise the level of debate or consult the People on the shape of their new Constitution but an African dictator did at least do this. I know you maintain that people were consulted but like I say I've yet to meet anybody who even knows someone who knows someone. (I don't live in the big shmoke so I wasn't consulted about traffic at any point either).
    Ah, well there we're going to have to agree to fundamentally differ. You are part of the very small fraction of people who are interested in politics. Maybe 1% of people at most are actually interested in politics on an ongoing basis, and almost all arguments take place within that 1%. As a result, almost anyone who is actually involved in politics of their own free will is by that very fact unrepresentative of the wider public. Since standing as a representative is open to anyone, while the number of places available as a representative are limited to a few hundreds, there is no reason for there to be a gap in the market. At the end of the day, therefore, the only real test of how the 99% wish to be represented is by how they vote.

Therefore the claim that the people are not "really" represented by their elected representatives is, while easy to make, actually very improbable - it almost invariably collapses down to being the complaint of a member of the interested 1% whose political views the 99% are not interested in.

Unfortunately for your hypothesis, not being interested in how politics happens is a valid viewpoint - and a very common one. Those people who don't care how they're represented, and are happy to leave the choice up to people who do care, are in fact represented, despite not voting.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

We can indeed agree to differ but I know lots of people who don't vote because they think politicians are a bunch of tossers riding the one gravytrain, and that voting for them won't change anything. (In fact, will only encourage them) I can hardly consider myself or those people who don't vote to be represented. It's not so much that they aren't interested in politics as they think it is futile to engage the current system. I'm sure people who think like this exist right across Europe, well in fact I know they do. You may feel they are represented but they don't and really that's what counts to them.

Why is the electorate ignorant and how can there be democracy if the electorate is ignorant of the issues? That would only be a sham of a democracy surely?
    Indeed.
    Of course we need to govern ourselves.
    How? You don’t want elected representatives to have any authority? What’s the point in electing someone to a position if they required the constant approval of the electorate to do anything? It’s pointless.
    I believe so anyway. I think even that the common people of all Earth could reach a concensus.
    On very basic issues, possibly. But once issues become in any way complex, consensus becomes difficult to obtain. Take for example the aforementioned International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights; you would think it a given that most people would think this to be a good thing, right? And yet, there are more states in the world that have not yet ratified this covenant (29) than there are member states in the EU. Granted, most are relatively small nations, but there are some big players on the list; China, Cuba, Laos, Malaysia, UAE and Singapore, among others.
    Indeed. All men are equal. That's the fairest way.
    It’s not the fairest way at all. Like I said above, an opinion that is not based on fact is worthless. Your faith in humanity is admirable, but somewhat naive.

I notice you ignored my question regarding the hypothetical situation in which the electorate is consulted on the drafting of the budget. Do you accept that it’s not feasible? OR do you think the government should do whatever the electorate says, regardless of the consequences?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Indeed. All men are equal. That's the fairest way. I believe the Nazi's did not see things like this and unfortunately for me and my kind they won the second world war ;)

If all opinions are equal, why bother with education, why do we need experts? For if that is truly the case then someone who never even attended secondary school is just as worthy to consult on the location of a nuclear power plant and the possible health risks as a nuclear scientist with 30 years studying in the field. The former informed by what he heard on Joe Duffy the latter informed by the latest peer reviewed scientific papers. It is illogical to treat both opinions as equal and by doing so you are proving you are blinded by an ideological utopian vision that can never work. I'm all for democracy but the most pragmatic form of democracy is one where representatives are elected and they in turn hire experts to advise and they work in combination to make decisions on our behalf.

molloyjh wrote: »
    That is a distinct issue, seperate completely from the Treaty. You should be voting for or against the Treaty based on its merits and worrying about who represents us and how in the proper forum, i.e. elections and direct dealings with those representatives.

But the treaty is the product of people who I feel do not represent me or my interests. I don't see how the two can be compartmentalised as if they are seperate.
    Were you consulted on the Cluster Munitions Treaty last year, the text of which was agreed here in Dublin? Would you have been qualified to do so? I know I wouldn't have been.

So you are not qualified to say if dropping bomblets on civilian populations/areas is a good thing or a bad thing? Personally I feel that I am qualified and that it's very wrong. I fail to see how you are not qualified really, your opinion is what qualifies you.
    And here-in lies one of the biggest mis-interpretations of the vote last year. You were not voting on the Treaty itself, but on the amendment to the Constitution that would be required for the Treaty to be ratified by Ireland. We are never called upon to vote on an international Treaty directly AFAIK.

Well fair enough really that's just semantics and technically you're quite correct.
    And what was intended in the "are you qualified" comment was to point out that this is a complex legal document (remember all the fuss over how hard it is to read?) that references other complex legal documents relating to the governance of a union of 27 countries. I don't think I'm particularly qualified to vote on that, at least not without going through a period of educating myself as to the specifics of the Treaty itself.

And you do think your elected representatives are sufficiently educated? I admire your faith in them in the face of the current adversity. I do indeed remember all the fuss over how hard the treaty is to read. I don't for one second think that a treaty that is beyond the grasp of its signatories should be signed into law. Everybody should be fully aware of any small print IMO.
    The Irish people weren't canvassed on the previously mentioned Cluster Munitions Treaty. Even the Good Friday Agreement was negotiated by our Government on our behalf. That's one of the things we elect them to do. It's part of the job profile. If you are not happy with that and want it changed there's little point in talking to Europe about that, it's a domestic "issue". Although I can't imagine you'll find any great support for getting national involvement in the ratification of all treaties!

A more accountable form of democracy in which the people are consulted over big descisions is what I'm after really. Naturally because the talk here is of treaties we're latching onto ratification of treaties but the principal applies or should apply to any major legislative changes.
    It's nice that you can judge other sovereign nations procedures for governance like that. I can't imagine you'd be too impressed though if other countries were questioning our systems democracy using their own imperfect standards as the base-line!

To me 'sovereign nations' are merely instruments and inventions of the powerful. I do not see them as a natural organic unit like clan, tribe or family. Nationalism is a false division of the species that occured to serve the interests of an elite. What I'm saying is that I look at "other countries" as if their leadership is not really representative of the people who live in those countries.
    If you're not willing to discuss a point that you riased on a discussion board then maybe you should have on that one!? :confused:

Fair enough but in the end I did end up discussing what I meant by the comment in post #213.
    So you would have voted No on the Cluster Munitions Treaty then? Wow! I mean, just wow! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
    Educate themselves. The information is there.....just a thought.

You perhaps think then that the People should set up their own education system? The one they have that is run by the State is really not up to the job? So it would seem to me.
    Sounds to me like you've a much bigger issue with our democracy as a whole. But if voting for our representatives is indeed useless then why bother getting involved at all, even in discussions on the topic?

Merely to persuade others to withdraw their involvement or jam a stick in the spokes as best they can. Sedition lol
    You can't, and the EU cannot, make this kind of demand. It is up to each member state to ratify as per their system and up to their people to change it if they are not happy. We did with Crotty 20 odd years ago. It seems that you cannot accept any other version of democracy other than your own, which itself is anti-democratic.

What I'm saying is that the people in many countries have not been given the chance to change it. For instance I know that the German people are generally unhappy with the provisions of the treaty yet they are not to be asked to ratify. How my stating that this is a bad thing amounts to me being anti-democratic is beyond me.
    I have highlighted the important word there for you. And the State is as close as you can get to a proxy given that we elect those who speak on the States behalf. Anything closer and you're talking about removing the sovereign states in favour of a super-state EU where your voice and mine would be considerably weakened and concensus would be hard to come by given the broad range of cultures etc.

Aside from the minor input of immigrant populations there is really only European culture in Europe. I don't elect anybody and nor do lots of other people. If there was 100% turnout the State may well then claim to speak on the peoples behalf but in the absense of that I don't believe it can, it speaks only for a subset.
    In this case who is to blame for the ignorance though? In an age of unprecented access to information surely the electorate are the ones at fault? And so how can any of us expect to get "proper" representation, if we as a body of people are in no position to even know what that is????

Well personally I blame the education system, shabby media and rampant materialism for this state of affairs. I can hardly blame the newborn for what they will turn out like. If the will existed it wouldn't be hard to educate them to be responsible citizens in a participatory democracy I feel.
    You can't blame the representatives for that now can you!?

No, only their calibre and the people backstage who fund them.

sink wrote: »
    If all opinions are equal, why bother with education, why do we need experts? For if that is truly the case then someone who never even attended secondary school is just as worthy to consult on the location of a nuclear power plant and the possible health risks as a nuclear scientist with 30 years studying in the field. The former informed by what he heard on Joe Duffy the latter informed by the latest peer reviewed scientific papers. It is illogical to treat both opinions as equal and by doing so you are proving you are blinded by an ideological utopian vision that can never work. I'm all for democracy but the most pragmatic form of democracy is one where representatives are elected and they in turn hire experts to advise and they work in combination to make decisions on our behalf.

Sure anybody can hire experts and experts can be very wrong. There was no end of economic experts advising the Governments of the West over the last 20 years. Where did their "expertise" get us? I have little faith in so called experts, there appears to be a glut of educated fools amongst their ranks. IMO when given the facts the common man can make up his mind as well and as accurately as any expert.

Sure anybody can hire experts and experts can be very wrong. There was no end of economic experts advising the Governments of the West over the last 20 years. Where did their "expertise" get us? I have little faith in so called experts, there appears to be a glut of educated fools amongst their ranks. IMO when given the facts the common man can make up his mind as well and as accurately as any expert.

That might be the case in the so-called social sciences, but wouldn't apply to nuclear physics or medicine, for example. The problem with the social sciences is that they're barely empirical, and enormously prone to fads - there are entire schools of economics whose theories have never even been applied to the real world, yet which are believed with all the fury of zealotry.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

That might be the case in the so-called social sciences, but wouldn't apply to nuclear physics or medicine, for example. The problem with the social sciences is that they're barely empirical, and enormously prone to fads - there are entire schools of economics whose theories have never even been applied to the real world, yet which are believed with all the fury of zealotry.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Well I certainly wouldn't disagree with you regarding economists and social science. However the formerly widespread practice of lobotomy is just one example of medical "expertise" proven as misguided and reprehensible. I'm sure there are plenty of others, the eugenics movement springs to mind as does the medicalisation of childbirth. Physics is fairly hard science though, but even there you can see in the history of resistance to new theories and discoveries that the physics community is not immune to letting opinion masquerade as fact either. In light of this I think it is folly for people to surrender the decision making process to so called "experts". If the "experts" had a track record of always being correct then I'd certainly think differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

But the treaty is the product of people who I feel do not represent me or my interests. I don't see how the two can be compartmentalised as if they are seperate.

I understand your point fully. I do not believe that FF represent my views all that well, however I'm still in favour of the Treaty. That is because the Treaty itself isn't the express views of any one political party or any one particular group. It is a big bundle of compromises, middle-ground and common sense. And just because I don't feel FF represent me well, that doesn't mean I disagree with them on every issue either.
    So you are not qualified to say if dropping bomblets on civilian populations/areas is a good thing or a bad thing? Personally I feel that I am qualified and that it's very wrong. I fail to see how you are not qualified really, your opinion is what qualifies you.

That's like saying that your opinion of a murder case qualifies you to be a judge. That's simply not the case. As with any legal document it's far more complicated than the title alone.
    And you do think your elected representatives are sufficiently educated? I admire your faith in them in the face of the current adversity. I do indeed remember all the fuss over how hard the treaty is to read. I don't for one second think that a treaty that is beyond the grasp of its signatories should be signed into law. Everybody should be fully aware of any small print IMO.

I don't have much faith in the current bunch, but I will also come to their defense re the reading of the Treaty. I don't expect them to read every legal document, be it domestic laws or international treaties, that crosses their desks. That would waste far too much of their time. I would expect that they delegate (as management should do) the task to solicitors and/or other legal experts. These experts can then fill the TD in on the details. It makes far more sense that way.
    A more accountable form of democracy in which the people are consulted over big descisions is what I'm after really. Naturally because the talk here is of treaties we're latching onto ratification of treaties but the principal applies or should apply to any major legislative changes.

The budget is a "big decision". New laws on serious crimes are "big decisions". The changing of the national speed limit or closing times for pubs and clubs are "big decisions". Where do the "big decisions" start and end? How many times will we all be called for our input and how long would it ever take to implement anything (not to mention at what cost). Government are there to make these decisions for us and if we're not happy with them we elect someone else. Your argument that people don't vote so aren't represented is rubbish because if people aren't voting they can't expect to be represented. And they only have themselves to blame then.
    To me 'sovereign nations' are merely instruments and inventions of the powerful. I do not see them as a natural organic unit like clan, tribe or family. Nationalism is a false division of the species that occured to serve the interests of an elite. What I'm saying is that I look at "other countries" as if their leadership is not really representative of the people who live in those countries.

I don't really disagree, but unfortunately nationalism is a fact of life, and one we can't ignore.
    You perhaps think then that the People should set up their own education system? The one they have that is run by the State is really not up to the job? So it would seem to me.

I think there is plenty of info out there and if people can't be arsed looking it up for themselves that is their fault, noone elses.
    What I'm saying is that the people in many countries have not been given the chance to change it. For instance I know that the German people are generally unhappy with the provisions of the treaty yet they are not to be asked to ratify. How my stating that this is a bad thing amounts to me being anti-democratic is beyond me.

Every country has mechanisms for implementing change. Crotty did it here through the courts here in the 80's, which is why we voted last year. If the people of the other member states are that interested in changing their ratification procedures it is up to them to do it, and noone else. If they don't noone can be blamed for assuming they don't have that much of a problem with it.
    Aside from the minor input of immigrant populations there is really only European culture in Europe. I don't elect anybody and nor do lots of other people. If there was 100% turnout the State may well then claim to speak on the peoples behalf but in the absense of that I don't believe it can, it speaks only for a subset.

There are still differences between the European countries in terms of culture. We may not be worlds apart, but we are different.
    No, only their calibre and the people backstage who fund them.

So vote for someone else. In a democracy we can do that remember. Set up your own party. In a democracy you can do that too. And if enough people believe as you do and actually bother to do something about it then democracy will allow you to make the changes you want. The mechanisms are there. Don't blame the Government if the people fail to use them, or don't want to use them.

• Advertisement

Well I certainly wouldn't disagree with you regarding economists and social science. However the formerly widespread practice of lobotomy is just one example of medical "expertise" proven as misguided and reprehensible. I'm sure there are plenty of others, the eugenics movement springs to mind as does the medicalisation of childbirth. Physics is fairly hard science though, but even there you can see in the history of resistance to new theories and discoveries that the physics community is not immune to letting opinion masquerade as fact either. In light of this I think it is folly for people to surrender the decision making process to so called "experts". If the "experts" had a track record of always being correct then I'd certainly think differently.

That is, of course, a very popular view these days. Speaking as an ex-geologist/environmental scientist now in IT - all of those being expert fields - perhaps I am biased, but I can safely say that the value of the average lay person's view on likely mineralisation, environmental impacts, or software bugs is absolutely zero.

Where people usually go wrong is in thinking that that means the lay person has no right to an opinion on decisions taken on foot of the expert advice. Everyone who is not mentally incompetent has the right to make their own decisions, either with or against expert advice - because nobody is an expert at life.

Unfortunately, that mistake breeds a contrary mistake - the belief that expert opinion is only as valuable as lay opinion. That simply isn't the case in any wide sense. Arguments like "well, medical science used to favour lobotomy, so clearly they're wrong about everything they now think too" are just logical fallacies, as is tacitly recognised by most of the people who use them - when they're really sick, off they trot to the dispensers of modern medicine.

If you want a well drilled, a skyscraper built, a road laid, your cows inoculated, your children cured, a contract written or flood defences erected, the opinion of the bloke you met in the pub last night is not equivalent to that of an expert in the field - and all pretence and sophistry aside, we all know that, so arguments founded on the contrary "truth" that are just snake oil and organic fertiliser.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

What I'm saying is that the people in many countries have not been given the chance to change it. For instance I know that the German people are generally unhappy with the provisions of the treaty yet they are not to be asked to ratify.
    How do you propose that they be asked? Germans don't do things by referendum. Are you suggesting that the EU should force Germany to have a referendum?

But the treaty is the product of people who I feel do not represent me or my interests.
    In which case you probably won’t be in favour of the treaty itself, so why not read it and find out?

Suppose, having read it, you found that you were in fact in favour of the treaty? What does that then say about these people who do not represent you?
    A more accountable form of democracy...
    Governments are supposed to be held accountable by their electorate.
    ...in which the people are consulted over big descisions is what I'm after really.
    Define “big”. And how should they be consulted?
    You perhaps think then that the People should set up their own education system? The one they have that is run by the State is really not up to the job?
    I’m curious to know at what point in Ireland’s history did the ‘state’ and the ‘people’ become two distinct, separate entities?
    For instance I know that the German people are generally unhappy with the provisions of the treaty...
    How do you know?
    If there was 100% turnout the State may well then claim to speak on the peoples behalf but in the absense of that I don't believe it can, it speaks only for a subset.
    So as long as voter turnout is less than 100%, the government cannot claim legitimacy?
    IMO when given the facts the common man can make up his mind as well and as accurately as any expert.
    Care to play the role of the “common man” and give a demonstration?
    However the formerly widespread practice of lobotomy is just one example of medical "expertise" proven as misguided and reprehensible.
    Proven by whom? Doctors perhaps?
    If the "experts" had a track record of always being correct then I'd certainly think differently.
    If ‘experts’ were always correct then they wouldn’t be human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

oscarBravo wrote: »
    How do you propose that they be asked? Germans don't do things by referendum. Are you suggesting that the EU should force Germany to have a referendum?

+ 1.

The last time the Germans had a referendum they had a distinctly unpleasant experience which lead to 6 million German soldiers and countless civilians dying in a war. As a result Art 20 of the German Constitution provides:
    All state authority is derived from the people. It shall be exercised by the people through elections and other votes and through specific legislative, executive and judicial bodies.

To have a referendum would require an amendment to the German Constitution. Not all democracy has to be direct democracy. In fact I think the Irish requirement for a referendum is outdated, expensive and not necessary. We vote for TDs who we pay to make decisions for us so we should allow them to make these decisions (like most of the rest of Europe)
    The Germans have ratified the Treaty as their law requires so the idea that Ireland are somehow standing up for the rights of the German citizen by voting no is completely unfounded. Make the decision that is best for Ireland and leave the Germans to make their own decision according to their own constitutional processes.

In fact I think the Irish requirement for a referendum is outdated, expensive and not necessary. We vote for TDs who we pay to make decisions for us so we should allow them to make these decisions (like most of the rest of Europe)

While I agree that the referendum process is outdated in that it wasnt designed with the notion of approving international treaties. I dont feel its something we should get rid off a rethink maybe of how it works. But I rather not get rid of it completely, as it is something required to wake up the majority from their endless sleep every now and then. Yes at times this ends up being a bad thing when those woken up go and do stupid misinformed things but I blame the governments inability to inform for that mistake. The reality is though take away the referendums and the irish people will for the most part simply ignore the EU political process which while politically conveniant, its not what we want nor what the EU stands for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    While I agree that the referendum process is outdated in that it wasnt designed with the notion of approving international treaties. I dont feel its something we should get rid off a rethink maybe of how it works. But I rather not get rid of it completely, as it is something required to wake up the majority from their endless sleep every now and then. Yes at times this ends up being a bad thing when those woken up go and do stupid misinformed things but I blame the governments inability to inform for that mistake.

I agree that the government did a really bad job at informing people but I also think the Irish people were in a very contrary mood at the time. There was a feeling of look how well we're doing and we don't need you Europe. I couldn't believe how much traction the abortion/conscription/microchipping three year olds arguments got.

You can never really bring the people up to speed on the intricacies of a treaty that amends two other treaties that have already been significantly amended. It would be better to have some reasoned debate in the Dail on the issue rather than hamstringing the main line viewpoint by forcing them to share airtime 50/50 with Sinn Fein during a referendum, even though FF/FG/Labour represent 90% of the electorate.

Slightly off topic but I really think the strongest argument for getting rid of the referendum comes with issues like the statutory rape issue when two years after the 1935 legislation was struck down we're still awaiting a referndum to fill in the gaps in the constitution. Time consuming, expensive and not good for the functioning of the country. - Just hope the govt does a better job next time

You can never really bring the people up to speed on the intricacies of a treaty that amends two other treaties that have already been significantly amended. It would be better to have some reasoned debate in the Dail on the issue rather than hamstringing the main line viewpoint by forcing them to share airtime 50/50 with Sinn Fein during a referendum, even though FF/FG/Labour represent 90% of the electorate.

I would agree with you here in that the current referendum process doesnt work with approving international treaties, it wasnt expected that such a system would form that there would be regular international updates and reformations that would require referendums.

And its all made worse by taking such a treaty and asking for a yes or no answer to it. More so when simply no is something that in the international arena is just not used.

It needs to be a No because of this, this, this and the referendum process doesnt show this and we need to do polls and thats more work and cost and then people dont believe or trust polls and justify everything or anything under the sun with *we said no* but no to what?

its headache inducing.

On the other hand though I think in a grand scheme of national/personal development referendums are important stakes in the ground to the development of an Irish identity. I consider it important at least in a symbolic nature that there is some manner of direct involvement when issues such as divorce and (hopefully soon) Gay Marriage come up. Its a declaration that Ireland has moved from such dark ages.

Of course then a referendum is simply a a PR exercise as on these sort of issues they wouldnt be put for referendum unless a Yes vote was a very much in the bag result. On the other hand treaties such as Lisbon have time restrictions on them which means they must be dealt with even in bad times.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    While I agree that the referendum process is outdated in that it wasnt designed with the notion of approving international treaties. I dont feel its something we should get rid off a rethink maybe of how it works. But I rather not get rid of it completely, as it is something required to wake up the majority from their endless sleep every now and then. Yes at times this ends up being a bad thing when those woken up go and do stupid misinformed things but I blame the governments inability to inform for that mistake. The reality is though take away the referendums and the irish people will for the most part simply ignore the EU political process which while politically conveniant, its not what we want nor what the EU stands for.

Well put. It's bad enough that people only wake up to the EU at referendums, but without referendums they simply wouldn't engage at all.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

You will (I hope) accept that we hold general elections and that this results in the formation of a Government democratically elected as per the provisions of the constitution.

All very well, but the constitution states:
    INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS

Article 29

4. 1° The executive power of the State in or in connection with its external relations shall in accordance with Article 28 of this Constitution be exercised by or on the authority of the Government.

Hence, the constitution - which was approved by the electorate in a referendum - gives the Government the task of conducting "external relations" which includes negotiating international treaties. So, the Government (whoever they may be) does represent you and your interests even if don't actually agree with how they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Well put. It's bad enough that people only wake up to the EU at referendums, but without referendums they simply wouldn't engage at all.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    I think you've highlighted a very strong correlation. Without a referendum, how would people "engage" in a meaningful way I wonder.

I think this goes to the case for making democracy more direct - if people have formal input to decisions (votes are counted so opinions matter), it's worth giving some time (those of us who would take an interest anyway are a minority).
    We've agreed before that people aren't ready for much direct democracy, clearly most people are way out of their depth with Lisbon since it involves national and international law as well as haut politique.

If a better future would be that people are more savvy about, and engaged in politics, I believe this is more likely to occur if they have direct input to decisions. The law of diminishing returns sets a limit to how much decision-making should be direct so we'll always have some specialisation of labour in the interests of efficiency and effectiveness.

As to quality, the kind of professional advice currently reserved for the government should be available to citizens who pay for it through tax contributions anyway, I consider such reports to be our collective property.

As for our media, hopeless, for TV you've got to tune in to Euronews, France24 et al. One might expect that in the only country with a direct say on the Lisbon treaty that there would be a greater market for EU reportage, are we as a people particularly disinterested in politics or something?

Advertisement