Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Started

Options
  • 03-02-2009 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭

Ok - have read a number of threads in here and have been interested in RC Helicopters for a while - without ever using one.

What I'm looking for is practical advice on how I should start, what I'm hoping to do is mount a camera on it (after I become proficient)....and mix both of my hobbies. (Photography and RC Heli's)

(Before someone mentions it - I am aware that the camera will suffer from vibrations)

At the moment there is no budget - whatever I need will be bought (over a long time) , I'm hoping that this will go for a number of years - but like most people - dont really want to learn ...just want to be able to do it straight away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

PCPhoto wrote: »
    but like most people - dont really want to learn ...just want to be able to do it straight away.

I think most people do want to learn. It's the challenge of learning new things and progressing that keeps it interesting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

... I am aware that the camera will suffer from vibrations ...
    Only if you insist on putting a piston liquid fuel engine inside it. Electric is sooooo smooooth by comparison.
    ... dont really want to learn ...just want to be able to do it straight away.
    Well if you don't want to be out practising all the time, get a plane instead. The learning curve with planes is far less steep, and we bash them a lot less. Now assuming your camera is going to be inside ......
    ... whatever I need will be bought (over a long time) , I'm hoping that this will go for a number of years
    If you get a glowfuel engine model and fly it with electric, you will have substantial toughness wrapped around your camera gear. I would suggest a 60" wingspan Boomerang with a 600 watt premium brand electric power system inside, or a 800 watt asian power system. Then it will fly fine, and handle the bad weather conditions the nitro models are justifiably well regarded for flying in. But the vibration and fuel residue all over it on landing will be absent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

apologies (Workaccount) ...... what I meant was that everyone (IMO) wants to know everything straight away, dont want to go through the learning curve but would prefer to know all about it ASAP.

At the moment it looks like I will be getting a number of Helicopters over the next couple of months - increasing my experience and knowledge as fast as possible, from reading the other threads - start indoors, then go outdoors and then upgrade to proper equipment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If you get a 450 outdoors like the Bluster 400 you will get a flight simulater software included with it, then you can skip the indoors phase. But be sure to rack up at least 200 crashes on the sim before playing with the actual heli.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fiqa

well i think to start with you are better of buying a twin propeller helicopter. If you get a trex 450 or bluster 400 it will be more expensive because you can get a twin propeller for about 100 euros and its comes with a cable you can use it to connect it to your computer and download fms and you can practice your flight and beleive me twin propellers are very stable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Someone experienced in flying in conjunction with a simulator is a good way to go. As in an experienced flyer teaching the basics on the simulator and the beginner practices after that. The twin rotor helis probably would help but possibly by becoming competent on the simulator it would`t be too difficult to step up to a full 6 channel heli. And hooking 2 radios up is also a great learning method. Its certainly possible to learn with just the simulator, but would take longer and then setting up the heli would be tricky.

I dont think the heli learning is all that more difficult than planes myself. I used to hear that when i was only flying planes, but when i tried the heli`s i did`t find it any harder than first learning to fly the planes. A bit more involved setting up, and easier to get disorientated while flying, but anyone interested can learn, but its easier the younger you start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

fiqa wrote: »
    well i think to start with you are better of buying a twin propeller helicopter. If you get a trex 450 or bluster 400 it will be more expensive because you can get a twin propeller for about 100 euros and its comes with a cable you can use it to connect it to your computer and download fms and you can practice your flight and beleive me twin propellers are very stable

I'm interested in starting RC heli flying too. Can you recommed a good starter twin propeller model that comes with the simulation software and where to get it? Would need a model whose parts can be reltively cheaply and easily replaced. I see myslef going the simulation -> back garden -> big field route to learn.
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I myself think that if you feel your going to have a good interest in learning to fly the rc helicopters, then your better off going straight to a full function one such as trex 450, its a great heli i found,

On the other hand if you just want to try the twin rotor type and see if you want to progress further then it might not be a bad idea, definitely cheaper anyway, but if you have a big interest then i think your better going straight for the trex 450, and a simulator and if possible some assistance, others may have different suggestions,

One thing for sure, plenty of practice until you find the simulator easy to hover is a good idea before flying the trex 450 type heli.

Where do you live

well the best one is twister hawk and there is a shop near ennis where you can get it for about 100 euros. maplin and smyth toys also sell some but beleive me they have no control. you need something with full function and stable hover and you will get all this in twister and it also come with about four spare blades and all the spares are available easily

I think the twin rotor is the way for me as i can have a terribly short dedication duration to my latest interests :o Another issue is time and space.
    I did get one of those tiny foam frame twin blades before, the kind thats about €25 and i thought it was rubbish. It wasnt my flying skills, honest! The 2mins of charge infuriated me.

i live dublin

fiqa, is this the one you are on about? What kind of flight time do you get on a full charge?
    Any idea of the name of the shop near ennis?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

fiqa wrote: »
    well the best one is twister hawk and there is a shop near ennis where you can get it for about 100 euros. maplin and smyth toys also sell some but beleive me they have no control. you need something with full function and stable hover and you will get all this in twister and it also come with about four spare blades and all the spares are available easily

Bit biased are you? What makes that one "The best"?

Are Toyota's the best or Bmw's? Are Dell laptops the best or HP's? None of them are the best.

They all have good points and bad points like everything else - I'm sure he would have a choice of a few in that price range which wouldn't be far off each other.

Dont just criticise, suggest a few so! :p
    Have to say that the twister hawk does tick alot of the boxes for what i'm looking for but am open to other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Most Coaxial rotor helis on the market are just too easy to fly, you will get bored with them fairly quickly and will not gain much skill that you can use when moving to a more advanced heli.
    Learning to fly RC helis takes time and plenty of practice, so if you have a "short dedication duration" then maybe it’s not for you.
    I would suggest taking the cash that you would have wasted on a coaxial and save some more to get something a little more advanced (like a blade 400), you will gain more from it and it will probably keep you interested longer.

well this is the one. you get about 15 min of flight and beleive me its more then enough for a flight

well i started my rc heli hobby from a heli like blade 400 beleive me if you r new they r hard to fly and yes everybody crash and then you need to get spares and beleive me its really hard to get so in the end you have a heli on your shelf waiting for a spare part and that make you loose interest this it what happened to me finally i got the twister it is good and it is very stable so you get most fun out of it right now i have a raptor 30 n and i can fly it easily because of the twister and the simulator

Advertisement