Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GUI slower copying

• 03-02-2009 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else noticed this. I regularly copy files from my main PC to my HTPC. If I open the mount in nautilus and drag and drop the files I get a max of 2mb/s but usually ~1.5mb/s. But if I scp the same file from the console I get 4 or 5mb/s. I know there's overhead of using the gui but that's a major speed difference.

This is over a Netgear powerline connection btw hence the slow speeds even from the console. I know it would be a lot faster over a cable connection but it suffices.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Are you using Samba to access your HTPC share? If so, guess there could be some overhead there, especially in comparison to SSH (even though encryption's involved!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

nope - ssh. Samba not even installed on the htpc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Bah! Don't think I expressed that right first time. I mean if your HTPC is running Windows, then Linux box will have to be speaking its second "tongue" as such -- as opposed to NFS -- to talk with it, hence a possible overhead. Then again, could be *way* off ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

When you open the HTPC folder in nautilus,
    what is the address given in the bar?
    Does it start with sftp: or fish: or smb: or what?

What distribution versions are you using on both machines?
    What version of Nautilus ?
    There's a lot of work been done on gnome vfs in the last year.
    It could make a huge difference depending on what you're using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Mythbuntu 8.04 64 bit on the HTPC, Ubuntu 8.10 32 bit on my main PC. It connects using SFTP in nautilus.

I'm not that worried about this - just thought it was curious. I usually use scp from the console anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement