Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Out of Focus and Off Topic

• 03-02-2009 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

With seven stickies on the boards I think this thread is taking up valuable real estate, reply if you agree with me if not then let this thread dissappear .....

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I disagree, it was decided to be created to prevent off topicness, its getting use, off topic banter is occuring there, with some regularity... stops the mods modding and the b1tches b1tchin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Its pointless i.m.o last time i looked there were drinking pints :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Its pointless i.m.o last time i looked there were drinking pints :confused:

woo.. another off topic thread. bring on the 'in before the lock' mayhem :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I asked for people to respond if they agreed with me and to ignore it if they didnt, I have no interest in this becoming a bitch fest just want to judge the opinion of the populous, if nobody agrees with me, nobody will respond and the thread will soon go away........

Get it?

the thread is just a concentration of how boards used to be... so when you view it all in one place it seems like a shocking waste of time.. which eh.. boards umm.. totally isnt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

The Who am I?? sticky is another one to face the chop imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

No i like the who am i sticky..... Sure all it requires is to click the link for page 2 and theses plenty more space!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I asked for people to respond if they agreed with me and to ignore it if they didnt, I have no interest in this becoming a bitch fest just want to judge the opinion of the populous, if nobody agrees with me, nobody will respond and the thread will soon go away........

Get it?

well people do agree with you...and i disagree... if you wanted to gauge the communities outlook on a topic , maybe ya shoulda had a poll as opposed requesting that only people who support your views post??? Kinda irritating when folk does that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

With seven stickies on the boards I think this thread is taking up valuable real estate, reply if you agree with me if not then let this thread dissappear .....

This thread was created at an Admin's request. It works elsewhere and for now, I would prefer to see it stay in place. If you do not want to read it, you are not compelled to do so.

With regard to the number of stickies on the front, they are up for review.

1) Exhibition thread - will be gone when the exhibition is complete.
    2) Who am I sticky - can probably go as there's no reason why people can't introduce themselves in Out of Focus now that it exists.
    3) Legal proceedings thread is non-negotiable.
    4) Charter is also non-negotiable
    5) What camera/Lens should I buy was a Christmas special. It's problematic in that we still get a load of gear threads in the forum main. It can probably go but the FAQ will need to be updated following its demise.
    6) FAQs need some updating. I have done a little lately but it's still a work in progress.

In short, two stickies are non-negotiable, 1 is time limited and two more are up for the chop anyway. In real terms, we will probably get down to 4 or 5 stickies in the next two or three months.

drop the what camera thread then and ban all newbies that ask 'what camera should I buy for two hundred and fifty six euro, forty seven cent'? Or a megamerge. Let them trudge through that for a response to their vile, torturous questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Actually, can't say I've ever read it or looked in it.

Certainly wouldn't miss it so. :D

well people do agree with you...and i disagree... if you wanted to gauge the communities outlook on a topic , maybe ya shoulda had a poll as opposed requesting that only people who support your views post??? Kinda irritating when folk does that...

My whole point was I didnt want this thread taking up valuable real estate aswell so if there was no objections to the OOF thread then this one would soon go down the ranks!

Get it now??

So if any users think the OOF thread is a wate of time, respond to this thread if not then.........................!

Paulw wrote: »
    Actually, can't say I've ever read it or looked in it.

Certainly wouldn't miss it so. :D

So in that case, your opinion probably doesn't matter too much here.
    My whole point was I didnt want this thread taking up valuable real estate aswell so if there was no objections to the OOF thread then this one would soon go down the ranks!

Get it now??

So if any users think the OOF thread is a wate of time, respond to this thread if not then.........................!

DK, I'm sorry - I actually think that threads die of their own accord regardless of what opinions are voiced with in them...If people do think that the OOF thread is a waste of time, that's fine, but I also think that those who disagree with you are entitled to voice their view as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Calina wrote: »

I'm sure it matters just as much as anyone else posting, thank you very much. :eek:

Paulw wrote: »
    I'm sure it matters just as much as anyone else posting, thank you very much. :eek:

I just assumed that people who actually read the thread might have more weight.

However, you're right, you are entitled to an opinion.

no he's not.. ban him! :D

Sorry Calina I cannot let this go, PaulW is one of the most helpful and well respected posters on this forum, to say his opinion doesnt matter because he hasnt bothered to read your thread is shocking and I think he deserves an apology.

I may be accused of basck seat modding but the insult was public lets hope the apology is too!

In addition I do think there is a place on Boards for the type of posts that are in the OOF thread, that place is after hours!

all the more reason he should be banned tbh. He's a free range helpful radicle on a one way mission to actually make a difference. ban him now before it's too late!

Sorry Calina I cannot let this go, PaulW is one of the most helpful and well respected posters on this forum, to say his opinion doesnt matter because he hasnt bothered to read your thread is shocking and I think he deserves an apology.

I may be accused of basck seat modding but the insult was public lets hope the apology is too!

In addition I do think there is a place on Boards for the type of posts that are in the OOF thread, that place is after hours!

You might want to check the time stamp. I acknowledged he was right and I did it before you took me to task over it.

I'd also like to point out - again - that the thread in question was put in place at DeVore's request. It is not, as such, my thread. I don't own it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I'm all for keeping the stickies to a minimum cos i hate the screenspace they take up but ffs cull something else, the OT thread was brought in as a response to people saying something had to be done and it's popular, if you don't like it, scroll down just that teeny tiny bit...

damned if you do and damned if you don't... can't please everyone all the time... *wanders off mumbling*

• Advertisement

jeez.. nutcase.. ban her too.

You might want to check the time stamp. I acknowledged he was right and I did it before you took me to task over it.

I'd also like to point out - again - that the thread in question was put in place at DeVore's request. It is not, as such, my thread. I don't own it.

I started writing the response and had to stop mid way to attend to something here, so when I started writing the response you hadnt responded!

Is acknowledging someone is right the same as apoligising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

rymus wrote: »
    jeez.. nutcase.. ban her too.

Are you just on a one man mission to get this thread locked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I think were all getting a bit petty here......

both of you are quite right.. but you should still both be banned.

Okay.

DK has a point up for discussion. Get back to that point please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I think it'll become pretty obvious if oof is dying on its feet. I quite like it's silliness as an antidote to the more weighty topics on the artistic merits of flower pics and
    such like.

I have no real desire to go and play in the childish piranha pool of ah. Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age:) The appeal of the oof thread lies in the fact that its occasionally entertaining, often silly and its contributors are in general pretty committed to the community spirit of this forum.

It doesn't really bother me if its stickied or not, if it gets enough support, it'll survive, if not it'll go the way of all bad threads into the wastelands of page 2 and beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I think if you kill the OOF you'll just see nonsense start to creep slowly back into regular threads...

Why dont you un stickie it and let it stand on its own 2 feet, if its used it will stay on page 1 !

• Advertisement

Why dont you un stickie it and let it stand on its own 2 feet, if its used it will stay on page 1 !

What's the story, why do you hate that thread so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

DK, I'm sorry - I actually think that threads die of their own accord regardless of what opinions are voiced with in them...If people do think that the OOF thread is a waste of time, that's fine, but I also think that those who disagree with you are entitled to voice their view as well.

I would regard PaulW as one of the people I have learnt most from on boards... Is everyone not entitled to an opinion then whats the point of boards..

Lol sometimes this stuff makes me laugh... I had a post written out but really theres no point..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I'd leave it stickied, a lot of blood was spilt for it during the night of the long knives.
    It seems popular enough.
    I'd cull a few of the others though, that charter one especially seems pointless.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

I'd leave it stickied, a lot of blood was spilt for it during the night of the long knives.

A lot of blood was NOT spilt for the out of focus thread. As far as I remember, blood was spilt over the right to converse naturally (ie. somthines swaying slightly off topic) in threads and not be confined to such strict modding with the feeling that somebody somewhere is scrutinizing your every word. Nobody fought for a specialized off topic thread. I vote for dumping it too, and bring freedom back into conversation once and for all!!!

Photographers Unite!
    go_team_go.jpg

Twas a compromise....
    We also have the all new friendlier Calina who in tandem with myself has seen a new dawn on this wasteland that is Tallag...er I mean photography forum.
    Although tonight there were traces of the norty Calina.

Overall the forum has been nicer since the uprising with peace and love on both sides, the unity government has also served its purpose, although some members are getting bloody sick of snow pictures. :P

TelePaul wrote: »
    What's the story, why do you hate that thread so much?

I diont hate anything, just think it is a waste of space and the fact that nobody has posted there in 11 hours kinda proves my point, its time to rename it the OOS thread (Out of Sight)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

I think it should be replaced with a thread of useful links and resources, tutorials would be an example. Canon and Nikon specific links, kenrockwell.com would be an example and general photography sites etc.

What do ye guys think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

eightcell wrote: »
    I think it should be replaced with a thread of useful links and resources, tutorials would be an example. Canon and Nikon specific links, kenrockwell.com would be an example and general photography sites etc.

What do ye guys think?

That sounds like the FAQ Sticky.

nobody has posted there in 11 hours

Dude there are days when I go eleven hours without taking a leak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

eightcell wrote: »

What do ye guys think?

I think it's already there in the FAQ thread - a request at the end for some more posts.

TelePaul wrote: »
    Dude there are days when I go eleven hours without taking a leak.

Thanks for sharing but tbh I dont see your point!

• Advertisement

400+ views of this thread.

5 posts agree with Dodgykeeper.

It's not an exact science but since you told people who didn't agree with you not to post and a lot of people appear to have looked at the thread and not responded...

I'm sorry Dodgykeeper, for the time being I see no reason to remove the thread.

@eightcell - FAQ and I am happy to take suggestions to update it.

400+ views of this thread.

5 posts agree with Dodgykeeper.

It's not an exact science but since you told people who didn't agree with you not to post and a lot of people appear to have looked at the thread and not responded...

I'm sorry Dodgykeeper, for the time being I see no reason to remove the thread.

@eightcell - FAQ and I am happy to take suggestions to update it.

I never asked for it to be removed, remove the sticky and lets see how the thread fares!

BTW Have you apoligised to Paulw yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mowgli-mcnob

Can anyone tell me how to create a new post/thread??? I'm new to this!

Can anyone tell me how to create a new post/thread??? I'm new to this!

eh..... click the 'new thread' button at the top of the forum display (well just above the threads)

Its ok - it puzzled me originally too. Maybe not as intuitive as could be intially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mowgli-mcnob

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    eh..... click the 'new thread' button at the top of the forum display (well just above the threads)

Its ok - it puzzled me originally too. Maybe not as intuitive as could be intially
    You must have more buttons than me! all i see is thread option for printing etc. and rate thread! anywhere near there?!

OK Calina I admit defeat , you lock up here and meet me in the Virtual Juice Bar for a Mango and Passionfruit Smoothie!

You must have more buttons than me! all i see is thread option for printing etc. and rate thread! anywhere near there?!

Probably just my lame description; A picture tells a thousand words - highlighted below.

72046.jpg

My page hasn't got that black squiggly marker bit. :(

OK Calina I admit defeat , you lock up here and meet me in the Virtual Juice Bar for a Mango and Passionfruit Smoothie!

I'll have the same, thanks. And can I have some strawberries in mine? Thanks a million.

@AnimalRights, neither has mine. I think AnCatDubh has some special Nasa operating system. I'm quite envious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

I don't imbibe either of these brands and I'd hate to see 5 ltrs go to waste so you are all more than welcome to join me for a chill out beer!

656C96C683314A08BF4FEB4B1C2A449F-500.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement