Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Application recommendations...

• 03-02-2009 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    fancy recommending any choice applications.
    I'll kick off the ball: I'm loving Moonlight lite - it a Mahjong solitare game. Free.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Shazam for music tagging and identification

Tweetie for Twitter

Byline for RSS feeds

Google Earth for..... google earth

Remote for controlling my iTunes

Ebay for ..... Ebay

Pixup for putting ...er.... pics up ( on picasa flickr or whatever)

And terminal for the irssi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Facebook
    Icanhascheeseburger
    Eirtext
    Guitarchords
    Fring
    Ishoot lite
    Deezer
    Wordpress
    Vnc
    Flashlight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Some good apps mentioned already, here are some of my other favourites (* cost €)...

Stanza: great ebook reader
    BBCReader: download news to read offline
    midomi: music search
    Google: voice search
    Translator

Games:
    Lux Touch: Risk on the iphone
    Touch hockey: air hockey, 2 players over wifi
    *Hero of Sparta: Hack 'n' Slash fun
    *Toy Bot Diairies: a good platformer

If you have a jailbroken iPhone/Touch, Cydia has some good stuff..

Cycorder: video recorder
    Backgrounder: run apps in the background
    hClipboard: cut & paste
    *Adblock: block ads in safari
    SwapTunes: sync with multiple libraries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

My personal favourites

Facebook - Self Explanatory
    Tweetie - Twitter feeds
    NetNewsWire - RSS Feeds
    UNO - Class game
    TV Plus - Browse Sky listings and set to remote record from your phone!
    Wikipanion - Wikipedia access. The paid version is excellent.
    Shazam - Music recognition
    IGN - reviews from the website
    Simplify - music streaming from your PC/Mac to where you are. Works grand over Edge even!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Ishoot
    Facebook
    Palringo
    Xbox360
    PBJ Time ( good to keep the sprog entertained!)
    Live Poke (links with facebook)
    Darts
    EirText

Visua Radio would be up there but struggles without 3G/Wifi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

I have had an IPhone since Christmas. I have been trying to install the most useful applications on it. I have unlocked my IPhone so I could install a few more applications such as video recording.

What applications do you have on your IPhone and why?

Mine are:-

Remote - Very good for playing music from my laptop at parties and controlling it from my phone

WunderRadio - Great for listening to the radio over 3g.

Labyrinth LE - [game] My only game. Good to show people how good the gyroscope is.

Eirtext Pro - Great for using my quota of free texts online

Fring - Haven't used this properly. Can message on Skype and Google talk

Google Earth - cool app. Just slightly cooler than google maps

Google - Good for checking all my google account info especially beneficial for my google calendars.

Shazam - Good fun application for recording a small portion of music to get name and singer / band

Translator - Handy for when I'm away. Uses Google translator I believe

Currency - Good for comparing Euro against select currencies

WifiTrak - Not really used yet but tells you all Wifi available

Zippo Lighter - Good fun app showing use gyroscope and mic (I could not afford the beer app)

VideoRecorder.org - Great for Video Recording with Iphone (IPhone needs to be unlocked)

[Wanted] Logmein - Remote access to my computer from IPhone over 3G. Looks cool but just a bit too expensive at the moment.

Feel free to comment on my applications or just mention your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've merged this thread with the one from a few weeks back. :)

Might as well keep them all in the one place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Lets not forget scoop or shovel for all your digg stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Have a search of this forum too. This question has been asked numerous times. You might find something not mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Some of my favourites:

AllRadio: Use it every day to stream internet radio stations in the car. Works very well.
    Shazam: Very good for pin pointing that classic tune on the radio
    Facebook: the girlfriend is never off it ;)
    Transmission: Web interface for the torrent client. Control torrents from your armchair
    Stanza: Great book / magazine reader
    Jelly SMS: JSMS for the iPhone. Plugging my own app here. It lets you send O2, vodafone ,meteor , voipcheap, etc texts in an easy to use interface.
    Twinkle: twitter client
    Fring: Skype and IM
    Last.fm: Great for recommending music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Midomi - Like Shazam, but you can also hum or sing a bit of a song and it will try to work it out.
    Beacon - Drop a beacon wherever you are and the iPhone's GPS will tell you what direction to go in order to get back there.
    iTalk - Sound recorder.
    Webcam free - Directory of webcams from around the world
    WiFinder - Find out what wireless networks are around you, including ones that are hidden.
    ShopShop - Shopping list editor.
    Units - Unit and currency converter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

List some of you fave/most-used apps. The app store has so much crap that it's almost impossible now to find the good apps among the crap. I've a lot of apps installed that I hardly use, the ones below are the ones I use regularly, I've a few others that might get used once in a while.

My fave app is not actually in the app store but in Cydia:
    BiteSMS - Over here in Germany txts are stupidly priced, usually 17-19c outside of a bundle, maybe 10-12c with a bundle and then international txts are usually between 40 & 50c. With biteSMS it's a flat 6c worldwide using your data connection. Never had a single problem with their service and their app is excellent, it's bascially the default SMS app with lots of extras like landscape, quick reply, smileys...

Gazette - Nice RSS reader that syncs with google reader.

Facebook - obvious!

Shazam - listens to a song that's playing and returns the artist and song details. Fantastic app, I was at a gig where it was loud and a song was playing in the background before the band came out and it still got me the details!

Converter - handy for converting currencies and lots of other things like speed, distance, weight, volume, etc There are a lot of similar apps but I went with this one because the guy already had this app for free in Installer long before the app store came about.

EPL Premier League - got this in a sale, handy for keeping tabs on scores when you are out and about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

jester77 wrote: »
    List some of you fave/most-used apps. The app store has so much crap that it's almost impossible now to find the good apps among the crap. I've a lot of apps installed that I hardly use, the ones below are the ones I use regularly, I've a few others that might get used once in a while.

My fave app is not actually in the app store but in Cydia:
    BiteSMS - Over here in Germany txts are stupidly priced, usually 17-19c outside of a bundle, maybe 10-12c with a bundle and then international txts are usually between 40 & 50c. With biteSMS it's a flat 6c worldwide using your data connection. Never had a single problem with their service and their app is excellent, it's bascially the default SMS app with lots of extras like landscape, quick reply, smileys...

Gazette - Nice RSS reader that syncs with google reader.

Facebook - obvious!

Shazam - listens to a song that's playing and returns the artist and song details. Fantastic app, I was at a gig where it was loud and a song was playing in the background before the band came out and it still got me the details!

Converter - handy for converting currencies and lots of other things like speed, distance, weight, volume, etc There are a lot of similar apps but I went with this one because the guy already had this app for free in Installer long before the app store came about.

EPL Premier League - got this in a sale, handy for keeping tabs on scores when you are out and about!

Actually, you know what? There is a similar thread over on Mobiles/PDAs, I'll move it over here and merge the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Joost-Free music videos, TV shows and Films. Alot of old and public domain content but the App is free so still worth it. Can be quite annoying to use as there can be streaming problems. There's even some Irish film about how these guys cheat the Leaving Cert (of course this is a fiction film).

Capital FM- Great English Radio Station.

FlyTunes-A free App that gives you many internet radio stations.

Instapaper-Allows you to save and read internet pages offline. Can be a bit awkward to use to begin with but you'll get used to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Some of my favourites I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Conversions: for converting between any type of units

Wikiamo: Brings wikipedia to the iphone, nicely formatted and with caching to keep pages offline

Top 3 Solitaire: The only app I've paid for, best solitaire on the iPhone

Peter B wrote: »
    [Wanted] Logmein - Remote access to my computer from IPhone over 3G. Looks cool but just a bit too expensive at the moment.

There is at least one VLC client on Cydia. It works well enough to do very simple tasks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

alot of the ones i find useful have been mentioned already

for anyone with a jailbroken phone

SBSetting (upgrade to BossPrefs). Instant access to turn on or off stuff like airplane mode, bluetooth, edge, 3G, wifi, location services etc, all from one location

I'm also gonna mention the aqwoah theme...u can skin everything from dialer to keboard...way nicer than standard theme IMHO. U have to donate a few dollars, and he'll send u the cydia source for his stuff.

Five Icon Dock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Streamitall - Radio app, if you can listen online this will play it. I listen to newstalk everyday and I'm in the US!

Zombies - Very entertaining

Lightbike - TRON anyone!!

NYTimes - News

Mobile News - AP News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Have to give a thumbs up to Pocket God - great fun altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

*Bump*

Anybody have experience with the Makayama app 'Free Wifi'?

Description here:

http://www.makayama.com/freewifi.html

Can't find a list of hotspots by country/county so not sure what kind of coverage we'd have here. There isn't a single review of this in the app store (though it's fairly new afaik).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

*Bump*

Anybody have experience with the Makayama app 'Free Wifi'?

Description here:

http://www.makayama.com/freewifi.html

Can't find a list of hotspots by country/county so not sure what kind of coverage we'd have here. There isn't a single review of this in the app store (though it's fairly new afaik).

The problem with most of these apps is that when it comes to ireland the internet is still in the dark ages here many shops, organisations, bars clubs any business premises dont put up websites and details and most of these apps base their information on the internet so with little or no information available for them to use your going to get bad results not the apps fault more lagging irelands fault. Check how limited google maps is for finding stores or business premises in ireland(dublin) and compare it to to other major cities.

With the wifi ones i believe that it will show you a good list(sort of up to date) of wifi spots but it will just show you wifi spots not whether they are free or not. so you could get to a wifi spot and discover its one of those pay for time wifif zones ala bitbuzz(although thats free for us o2 iphone customers)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Monopoly here and now edition and uno were two I paid money for and they are very good. Especially the Monopoly - I've spent hours on that.

I also like:

Cribbage
    budget app - great for keeping track of our budget when out and about
    iDie - tells you how long you have to live based on the average life expectancy and your age - I'm %31 through my life :eek: I drunkenly like to share this with strangers on the bus!

Thanks to Jilm for suggesting toy bot diaries. I downloaded it and my OH is now obsessed. I haven't heard a peep out of him all night (I haven't got anywhere near my ipod either!)

Advertisement