Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Mortgage

Options
  • 03-02-2009 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I'm debating changing mortgage provider but the get out fee on a 3yr fixed rate term is, wait for it... €4,996.00!! Do you know any banks who will take this fee on the chin for my business?? I doubt it very much!! The fixed terms ends in Oct regardless but I could be saving €400/month with interest rates the way they are. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

the 4996 isnt that bad mate . . if you took the hit now by the end of the year you could recoup your losses but dont forget you will need to fork out for legal fees and val fee's . . .

why dont you wait until october chances are the rates could be lower and it will be cheaper . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

What size id the mortgage and what rate is the fixed rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mjmorrisroe

Ogham wrote: »
    What size id the mortgage and what rate is the fixed rate?

€368,000 @ 4.79%, Property value a tentative €460,000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

The best variable rate you could get is 3.25% (AIB)
    Based on a 25 year mortgage - the repayments would be 1792 - a saving of about 300 on your current repayments. (I worked it out over 25 years too) For 9 months this is a difference of about 2700 - so it would not be worth your while breaking the fix with a 5k penalty. There is a chance that variables will come down again though - which would increase the savings and would also probably mean a bigger penalty.
    Some lenders pay towards legal fees for switching (BOI Halifax and sometimes AIB)
    It's only 9 months - if it was me I would probably stick with it till October.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mjmorrisroe

Ogham wrote: »
    The best variable rate you could get is 3.25% (AIB)
    Based on a 25 year mortgage - the repayments would be 1792 - a saving of about 300 on your current repayments. (I worked it out over 25 years too) For 9 months this is a difference of about 2700 - so it would not be worth your while breaking the fix with a 5k penalty. There is a chance that variables will come down again though - which would increase the savings and would also probably mean a bigger penalty.
    Some lenders pay towards legal fees for switching (BOI Halifax and sometimes AIB)
    It's only 9 months - if it was me I would probably stick with it till October.

Yeah, hopefully rate might drop again.. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Just a quick Q! Is that break-put penalty charged upfront. Or is it added to the principle of the mortgage? We're in a similar situation and our fixed is up in May of next year, which would mean a saving of approx 4k at 3.5%.
    We would probably stay with the same institution, so legal fees will not apply.

Advertisement