Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunlaoghaire Shopping CTR should pay retailers to set up there.

• 03-02-2009 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed the amount of businesses that have moved out of Dunlaoghaire shopping ctr that have not been replaced particularly upstairs and whats left seems to be quite.

The former Autocare store has not seen a new occupier in well over 5 years, The computer and games shop is still vacant after two years, other places are used as storage or for displaying art etc.

I would say Tesco is the only place that is keeping that place alive, at that it shuts early and has also lost much business to Bloomfields.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I work above it and it's such a crappy shopping centre.

Where would they get the money to pay retailers to move in though?

I wouldn't say they are exactly raking it in with all those empty units. Car park probably the only thing left that makes any kind of income above costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I work above it and it's such a crappy shopping centre.

Where would they get the money to pay retailers to move in though?

I wouldn't say they are exactly raking it in with all those empty units. Car park probably the only thing left that makes any kind of income above costs.

Its also an ugly lump of a place designed in the mid seventies by some short sighted idiot that should have never placed the car park on the sea facing side. I drive a van and make use of the free loading bays in the town. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I enquired about a unit there last year. We were looking at opening a childrens clothing shop. If we employed no staff and only one of us took a decent wage, we would have lost €100k over two years.

Bloomfields would have bankrupted us even sooner.

These places are empty because they are stupidly over priced rent wise. it seems landlords would rather have an empty unit than rent it out for what they consider to be lower than market value prices.

probably explains why Bloomfields is now empty.

I inquired about a unit there last year. We were looking at opening a children's clothing shop. If we employed no staff and only one of us took a decent wage, we would have lost €100k over two years. .
    You would probably make more in one day opening a stall at a Sunday market than working a 6 day week at a shopping CTR. The management also don't realize that on line shopping is hitting these places, no rent, no overheads, most operate out of town or at home. A lot of women try out expensive fashion in these places, take note of the sizes and then order them on line.
    Bloomfields would have bankrupted us even sooner..
    I could possibly see the likes off these places particularly the newer establishments running into trouble if enough tenants pull out and it could go that way with the way some of the UK franchises are going under.
    These places are empty because they are stupidly over priced rent wise. it seems landlords would rather have an empty unit than rent it out for what they consider to be lower than market value prices. Probably explains why Bloomfields is now empty.
    Like Dunlaoghaire S Cr The only thing keeping Bloomfields open is Tesco. Roll on Lidl or Aldi moving to Dunlaoghaire.

Like Dunlaoghaire S Cr The only thing keeping Bloomfields open is Tesco. Roll on Lidl or Aldi moving to Dunlaoghaire.

Boo-urns to that:p

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

There's no need for two tesco's in the town. The one in the shopping centre needs to go for something decent or upgraded a little. Same for the Dunnes there.

jenizzle wrote: »
    There's no need for two tesco's in the town.
    Both make money so why not?
    The one in the shopping centre needs to go for something decent or upgraded a little.

It's been refurbished several time recently in various aspects, offo replaced, self scan put in, shelves re-laid. It not one of the worst Tesco's by a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭livindadream

There's no need for two tesco's in the town. The one in the shopping centre needs to go for something decent or upgraded a little. Same for the Dunnes there.

theres already two Lidls in deadnsgrange?!! we're dying for an Aldi, we get the brochures in the door, but can never travel out to it for the bargins!

Dun laoghaire is gone to waste now though, i go to college there and its a joke. I remember when that trashy fake ugg/abercrombie shop moved into it upstairs, everyone flocked to it cause it was somthing new!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I can't imagine Tesco would be too comfortable with anything other than a Tesco in their backyard/basement :D

The two seem to complement each other quite well and both appear to do good trade. after all, Dun Laoghaire is Tesco town isn't it!

I was in there today and noticed the downward escalator out of order at the QFor U side. I wonder is this done on purpose as an attempt to make people use the one at the far end of the SC to make the place look busier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

theres already two Lidls in deadnsgrange?!! we're dying for an Aldi, we get the brochures in the door, but can never travel out to it for the bargins!

What's the problem with travelling to Nutgrove for Aldi???:rolleyes:
    I would love to see one of the two Lidl move from Deansgrange nearer to DL. Just don't know where the space for it would be. Or for an Aldi instead.

xia wrote: »
    What's the problem with travelling to Nutgrove for Aldi???:rolleyes:
    I would love to see one of the two Lidl move from Deansgrange nearer to DL. Just don't know where the space for it would be. Or for an Aldi instead.
    There yet may be space, it looks like the old Murdox building opposite the library has stopped in its tracks. Dunlaoghaire would be a hassle for parking for any of the German chains unless they doubled up at Nutgrove or the DSC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭livindadream

ahh the building that used to be iceland?!?! whats the going to be now, does anyone know?!

And travel to the nutty for Aldi? what a trek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭bullpost

It should be knocked and the businesses moved out into the high street. Concieved at a time when there was no cornelscourt or dundrum.
    Whatever replaces it should be more in scale with rest of Dl town centre.

Dun Laoghaire is Tesco town isn't it!

Tis for sure.
    I've heard rumours the shopping centre is to be painted white red and blue:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

And travel to the nutty for Aldi? what a trek!
    Therefore my smiley;) I don't go there eighter even though I am nearby on some Sundays before / after hill walking.

@ run_to_da_hills: I was mainly thinking lack of parking spaces when I talked about space.

Hmm. Maybe where Crawford's used to be :)

bullpost wrote: »
    It should be knocked and the businesses moved out into the high street. Concieved at a time when there was no cornelscourt or dundrum.
    Whatever replaces it should be more in scale with rest of Dl town centre.

Yeah, cos that is practical:rolleyes:

And it does fit in scale with the rest of DL. Between the port/ churches/ Dunnes/ Pavilion+ apartments/ Royal Marine and hospital there are plenty of big bulky buildings in Dun Laoghaire. Just take a walk to the end of the pier and look back. It's not out of place at all.

And at least it's not grey:D

Advertisement