Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV 7.6 Boadband (Me Arse)

Options
  • 03-02-2009 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

i have been with UTV for over 2 years and the past 6 months i have been getting 512Kbps on average (IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE!!) 403676590.png

Should i call and complain or is every on having this same problem with utv

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you're on the 7.6meg package it's advertised as "up to".

You should report it to them anyway I reckon though. That's very poor. Did you get the higher speed before 6 months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

What are the line stats from your modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭BIGButters

Random wrote: »
    If you're on the 7.6meg package it's advertised as "up to".

You should report it to them anyway I reckon though. That's very poor. Did you get the higher speed before 6 months ago?

yes i am well aware that the speeds are "up to" 7.6 meg but like EVERY SINGLE DAY I AM ON BELOW 1MEG and yes i did get higher speeds at one stage about 3.5 Meg was the max

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

I was on the 3Mb service, always got 2.6Mb....got a free upgrade about a month ago to the " upto 7.6Mb " which in turn gave me this

403726100.png

I phoned UTV but the said that if they log a call I would probably have to pay Eircom if they say no fault with my line, I looks like I'm not the only UTV customer with probably " no " fault.

My Modem sync's at 5.1Mb down and 512k up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I was on the 3Mb service, always got 2.6Mb....got a free upgrade about a month ago to the " upto 7.6Mb " which in turn gave me this

403726100.png

I phoned UTV but the said that if they log a call I would probably have to pay Eircom if they say no fault with my line, I looks like I'm not the only UTV customer with probably " no " fault.

My Modem sync's at 5.1Mb down and 512k up.

Did UTV check you line stats when you were on to them. The first step as suggest above when you are having speed problems is to check your line stats - they will give you a general idea of when your line is capable of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Dao

BigB,
    I have a similar issue. A few months ago I got a "free" upgrade from 3Mb to 7.6Mb....ever since then I have not had a consistant speed....I have logged a complaint (my second one since Christmas) but I expect the same answer as I got previously..."your line is not showing any faults"....so they have 1 more chance to provide me with a decent answer as to why my ping times are outrageous...online gaming is a nightmare if at all....

http://www.speedtest.net/result/403747994.png

By the way I am on the Rush exchange in Co. Dublin, and am a customer over 3 year.

Dao

Yes, they checked my line stats and said that there seems to no fault, hence thats why eircom will charge me

here is my stats:

Type Interleave Path
    Status SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
    5120Kb 512Kb

Noise Margin
    12 12

Attenuation(dB)
    37 17 .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes, they checked my line stats and said that there seems to no fault, hence thats why eircom will charge me

here is my stats:

Type Interleave Path
    Status SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
    5120Kb 512Kb

Noise Margin
    12 12

Attenuation(dB)
    37 17 .

Your noise margin looks iffyish to me. Do you ever check to see if it falls below 10?

dub45 wrote: »
    Your noise margin looks iffyish to me. Do you ever check to see if it falls below 10?

Yes, I check it WAY too much, it usually is around 17 with a different router, I used this one to rule out the router.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BIGButters wrote: »

I'm curious did you even call them about this issue at all, if you haven't then its hardly fair to complain about a company when you have not even attempted to get the issue resolved, the issue could be caused by...
    - poor quality line unable to support higher speeds
    - physical connections within your premises
    - line fault

I'd suggest you review the Broadband Charter/FAQ thread before calling, it may save you the cost of a phonecall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

i have been with UTV for over 2 years and the past 6 months i have been getting 512Kbps on average (IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE!!) 403676590.png

Butters, do you have sky digital in your home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Anon47

I have been with UTV for over five years. I have had to drop down to 1Meg just to get a reliable connection but it was due to poor wiring in the area (confirmed off the record by the Eircom engineer who came out to check it out and lost interest immediately when he heard I was with UTV) UTV still use the old ADSL standard so I am looking to switch to Magnet or Smart who use ADSL2+ and can get better speeds even over the crap Eircom copper.

Butters, do you have sky digital in your home?

yes I do have sky and y does that make a diffrence

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

yes I do have sky and y does that make a diffrence

If you have sky odds are its connected to your phone line, if its connected to your phone line it should be correctly filtered with a ADSL microfilter...I'd imagine thats what he's getting at :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    If you have sky odds are its connected to your phone line, if its connected to your phone line it should be correctly filtered with a ADSL microfilter...I'd imagine thats what he's getting at :)

no it's not connected to the phone line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Check your line speed in the morning or after 12am to see if it's not contention. Downloading an ISO from Heanet single thread now, running at 40-60KB/sec on 7.6mbit line. Normally would get 770KB/sec (6Mbit) but from 5-12 the contention has kicked in severely. So it's possibly an eircom problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

check out these ratings , UTV are well down the ladder :

http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

check out these ratings , UTV are well down the ladder :

http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/

:rolleyes: Not a great site, its missing alot of major ISP's. Magnet is winning with only 5 votes

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Not a great site, its missing alot of major ISP's. Magnet is winning with only 5 votes

I'd agree, ratings on that site are very far from accurate,
    eircom also only have a 2 star rating yet you can see for yourself on this forum they hardly ever have many complaints when compared to likes of BT

I'd imagine people are letting their pure hatred of eircom cloud their rating of it, the other aspect of it is people are alot more likely to post a negative review then a positive one and the fact that most people have totoal misunderstanding of how ADSL works so they blame their ISP for all their issues

Advertisement