Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Question

Options
  • 03-02-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

I recently moved to a new house and tried bringing my Smart BB with me.

I had to cancel the existing contract with smart and sign up again at the new address.

This involved getting eircom to put a line in at new residence and then informing Smart once the line was activated. I had to pay Eircom for this but cant remember how much...

Smart then unbundled the line. All in all it took about four weeks to get sorted. Most of this time was waiting for Eircom t activate the line. A lot less hassle than the fisrt time I switced from eircom but still, it should be made easier than this.

If you have an old AOLynk router then take it with you. Smart lock down the their new Thomson routers making it impossible for you to change firewall settings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

Hi!

How long does it take to get Smart up and running from when Eircom istalled the line - days or weeks?

What's that about regarding the router???

Ta! M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Kanedmick wrote: »
    How long does it take to get Smart up and running from when Eircom istalled the line - days or weeks?

Anything from 1 to 3 weeks. Probably about 2 weeks.
    Kanedmick wrote: »
    What's that about regarding the router???

The modem/routers that Smart supply, are crap. I got a Speedtouch, or something like that, and it's rubbish. I replaced it with my Zyxel router. Use your own if you can. Any ADSL2+ modem/router will do the trick, you'd just need to know what the settings to use are. You'd also get no help from Smart's support people for router related problems, if using your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

Hi Jor El! Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

jor el wrote: »

The modem/routers that Smart supply, are crap. I got a Speedtouch, or something like that, and it's rubbish.
    I still use the Aolynk they supplied me with and have never had a problem in 3 years so that generalisation isn't true.

You'd also get no help from Smart's support people for router related problems, if using your own.
    Seriously. Any company selling a product would have reservations solving any problems that were outside their products TOS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

d22ontour wrote: »
    I still use the Aolynk they supplied me with and have never had a problem in 3 years so that generalisation isn't true.
    They used to proved good routers, as in the Aolynk ones, but recently they've been providing crappy ones. The Speedtouch is without a doubt, absolute shit.
    d22ontour wrote: »
    Seriously. Any company selling a product would have reservations solving any problems that were outside their products TOS.

I didn't mean to imply that Smart were doing anything wring, no company will support equipment that they didn't supply. Smart are, without a doubt, the best DSL provider in Ireland, if not the best broadband provider. In my case, I had a line issue at one point, and Smart's support people wouldn't even talk to me until I plugged in the provided modem. Without it, they couldn't be sure it wasn't a modem problem, as opposed to a line problem.

Just know, that if you're using your own mode, you'll need to keep the supplied (possibly crap) modem to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

They used to proved good routers, as in the Aolynk ones, but recently they've been providing crappy ones. The Speedtouch is without a doubt, absolute shit.

Thankfully i have yet to upgrade my modem so i won't be looking for a replacement from Smart if/when a problem arises.

In my case, I had a line issue at one point, and Smart's support people wouldn't even talk to me until I plugged in the provided modem. Without it, they couldn't be sure it wasn't a modem problem, as opposed to a line problem.

Just know, that if you're using your own mode, you'll need to keep the supplied (possibly crap) modem to hand.

It does seem pedantic for them not to be more helpful but like all ISP's they have something to fall back on if such a problem arises ' a get out clause' if you may.You can't really blame them for such a stance but maybe blame them for providing poor tech modems maybe.

Infact similar type problems can be expected within warranty from Dell or similar type tech companies regarding self made upgrades that can make your warranty void.

Advertisement