Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rockabilly

Options
  • 03-02-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Any other Rockabilly fans out there?

Im a big fan. I mostly listen to the early more well known stuff like Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash, Charlie Feathers, Bo Diddley, Gene Vincent.

Im just wondering are there any venues in Dublin that play Rockabilly? Seen Chuck Berry when he was here earlier in the year and it was great but there doesnt seem to be a lot of interest in general in rockabilly:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Thomas House on Thomas Street (of all places!) have a Rockabilly night every Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The closest i've gotten to Rockabilly is Link Wray...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Apparently there's a revival happening
    Don't know where though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Got a Matchbox CD and thought it was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Load of rockabillies used to hang out in the Dice Bar on a Sunday IIRC. Your kind of tunes too. Not sure if they still do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Not into Rockabilly but I like their style. And it's one that seems to be garnering a growing interest from the public. I popped into Thomas Reads a couple of months back and they had a Rockabilly night on downstairs with a band playing (Aces Wild or something). The others I was with demanded we leave for the Turks Head. It's possible that they run one in Thomas Reads every week or month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Spineless

Babybing wrote: »
    Im just wondering are there any venues in Dublin that play Rockabilly?

Here's the current line-up:
    28th of Feb: The Recession Club in Cassidy's Westmorland St!
    Rocket 88 - Rockabilly Club once every month in Cassidy's Westmorland St.
    Dice Bar - Rockabilly Night Every Sunday!
    Thomas House - Rockabilly Night Every Saturday

And then the 12th of March there's Imelda May at Tripod of course...
    You can get your quiff from Linda at the Waldorf barber shop (highly recommended!) - Westmoreland Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

As soon as I read the thread title, I thought of Imelda May - her single is fantastic.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwmhMzuBA2Y

She's from the Thomas Street area too...

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

I'm into rockabilly and more so psychobilly. For what's going on in both scenes check out http://www.spellbound.ie and join the forum. And this is me: http://www.myspace.com/o_prez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Thought this thread had died a death.

Thats good stuff fella's. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 goodrockindaddy

Hi. There's a rockabilly night in the Thomas House, Thomas Street, every Saturday night.
    thomastake2card.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30 superelectric

Spineless wrote: »
    You can get your quiff from Linda at the Waldorf barber shop (highly recommended!) - Westmoreland Street

You're right about Linda in the Waldorf, I was in there today for the first time. She's quifftastic, will definately make regular visits and for anyone else that might be interested, she only works Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 caragnomes

You're right about Linda in the Waldorf, I was in there today for the first time. She's quifftastic, will definately make regular visits and for anyone else that might be interested, she only works Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Does Linda/Waldorf also cut women's hair? Can anyone recommend a good hairdresser for shorter rockabilly cuts for women? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

shebeen chic on Georges Street seems to have some rockabilly nights downstairs... was there the other weekend ... it's a fairly funky place but very small and very hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Goldstar101

Imelda May is a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I love the round of this type of music, but i never got into it. Any recommendations of where to start? I have Johnny Cash live at San Quentin and live at Folsmem prison also.

The last track on San Quentin is great, its a melody. But the part i like most is Carl Perkins part, its great, his voice is fantastic and the guitar he plays through the album is awesome. I think Carl Perkins would be a good place to start?

I listen to alot of early blues from the 1920's and 30's, and i can really hear it in rock n roll

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

You should get yourself down to Kilkenny for the rhythm and roots festival usually held around the May bank hiliday. Plenty of rockabilly to be enjoyed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Morlock

Is there any Rockers from the John Treacys era, John Treacys on Caple Street Dublin.
    We would meet there every Friday night. It was ran by a couple called Kevin and his wife Helen (I think).

We where moved from capel street to a basement of a pub called The City Hall , across from Dublin Castle .
    Some of the best nights out I had, I would love to find someone out there That would have any photos from the Day.
    The only nicknames/names I recall :
    Blade,
    Jimbo
    Spider
    Brian Duggan
    Audrey Poole
    Ray

Anyway keep on rocken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Check out this website and book.
    Morlock wrote: »
    Is there any Rockers from the John Treacys era, John Treacys on Caple Street Dublin.
    We would meet there every Friday night. It was ran by a couple called Kevin and his wife Helen (I think).

We where moved from capel street to a basement of a pub called The City Hall , across from Dublin Castle .
    Some of the best nights out I had, I would love to find someone out there That would have any photos from the Day.
    The only nicknames/names I recall :
    Blade,
    Jimbo
    Spider
    Brian Duggan
    Audrey Poole
    Ray

Anyway keep on rocken

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Morlock

bullpost wrote: »
    Check out this website and book.

Great Thank you , I actually found one guy in there that I knew back then,