Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Chemistry / Physics as an adult

Options
  • 03-02-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I am applying for a third level course (as a mature student). While the course does not require Leaving Cert Chemistry or Physics, it is recommended. I want to complete these to LC standard while I am waiting to start my course (sep 2010). Any advice on how to go about this? Ideally I am looking for night course(s) that cover these subjects to LC standard.

Also would it be possible to do this by march 2010?

Any thoughts / advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Is it both courses you#re wanting to do? Get in touch with your local VEC, there are probably adult education night classes running somewhere near you that would cater for LC Chemistry and Physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If you think you have the dedication, too, you could just get the text books and read them. Obviously this isn't ideal if you don't get things/they're explained badly, but it's something, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Can I ask If you want to complete them both at higher level or ordinary level?

Either way it is possible, with a lot of determination and berocca.
    I would advise you to get Dan O Regan's "Real World Physics and Declan Kennedy's Chemistry Live.
    Just work through each chapter slowly making sure you understand everything and can complete the exercise questions.
    And sure If you run into any problems, the nerds here will be more than happy to help you out. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm currently on the Access to Science & Engineering course at UCD. The modules you study are Chemistry, Maths, Physics, Biology/Maths for Engineering and Study Skills which prepare you for entry to uni.The classes are 3 times a week. http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/courses/ex430.htm

Or try a PLC college like Plunkett's where they do single leaving cert subjects http://www.plunketcollege.ie/adultspt.php

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Woofer

Thanks for all the replies. Big help :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement