Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BJ planned to retire after GSP fight

• 03-02-2009 9:23pm

Linky

“I have no clue what is going on in my head right now. I was going to make this my last fight and finish up fighting GSP. In my head, I was with [the UFC] for nine or ten years and I kind of just wanted to be finished with this whole thing after this. So I don’t know where my head is right now.”

GSP did us a favour so. I love watching BJ fight, I don't want him to retire but can 100% understand why he would.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I posted a story earlier in the week hinting about this. Anyways there was no way Dana would let someone vacate two titles at once.

rovert wrote: »
    I posted a story earlier in the week hinting about this. Anyways there was no way Dana would let someone vacate two titles at once.

Horses mouth > hint :)

Em, theres not a whole lot Dana could have done about it. He can't make him fight.

Horses mouth > hint :)

Em, theres not a whole lot Dana could have done about it. He can't make him fight.

I dont know how many fights Penn has left but the UFC are pretty ruthless in getting what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Tell Randy that. As long as you're Champion your contract keeps extending. That's what made Randy return.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ta2liam

I dont know how many fights Penn has left but the UFC are pretty ruthless in getting what they want.

They sure are but it just sounds like he is taking the loss very bitterly. He'll fight some micky mouse "title contender" in the LW devision, kick crap outta him and get his confidence back then he'll be the same old glove licking BJ as always:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Tell Randy that. As long as you're Champion your contract keeps extending. That's what made Randy return.

Yeah but Randy didn't want to retire. He wanted to fight Fedor in a different organisation. If BJ really wants to retire, UFC can't do a thing. If he doesn't want to fight anymore his exclusive fighting contract with UFC is pretty worthless tbh and it will eventually run out.

I for one hope BJ stays around as he is an awesome fighter at 155.

ta2liam wrote: »
    They sure are but it just sounds like he is taking the loss very bitterly.

Given his belief in himself Id say this loss rocked him to his very core.
    ta2liam wrote: »
    He'll fight some micky mouse "title contender" in the LW devision, kick crap outta him and get his confidence back then he'll be the same old glove licking BJ as always:D

Either that or he'll wake up on his next birthday and decide to knock the training lark on the head and go back to his old ways. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ta2liam

Given his belief in himself Id say this loss rocked him to his very core.

he is very big headed but he lost at 170 so he shouldn't be that upset, he should stick to the 155 devision. as much as i'm not a big fan of BJ it would be a big loss to see him leave the UFC and mma in general.

woooo232 wrote: »
    Yeah but Randy didn't want to retire. He wanted to fight Fedor in a different organisation. If BJ really wants to retire, UFC can't do a thing. If he doesn't want to fight anymore his exclusive fighting contract with UFC is pretty worthless tbh and it will eventually run out.

I for one hope BJ stays around as he is an awesome fighter at 155.

Randy tried to "retire" to try and get out of his contract to fight Fedor IIRC. This is just BJ looking for sympathy IMO. He even said on facebook that he may be fighting Florian in June.

Randy wanted to keep fighting not retire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

Randy was pissed at the money he was making and decided to "retire".

Not true was more to do with office relations and them not valuing him.

Actually:

- He wanted to fight Fedor
    - He wasn't happy with how the UFC were treating him.
    - He felt he wasn't getting paid what he deserved relative to others like Chuck and Hughes.

And also....he didn't "retire", he "resigned".

If BJ wanted to retire the UFC cannot stop him. the only thing they could stop him doing is coming back and fighting in another org. So stop with the stupid debate on that. It's not slave labour we're talking about here.

That was about as credible as when Tito said it. Randy tried retiring to try and get out of his contract to try and fight Fedor. Dana smelled a rat and wouldn't let him go. Hence the whole year long legal battle which only ended because Randy's bank acct diminished

Actually:

- He wanted to fight Fedor
    - He wasn't happy with how the UFC were treating him.
    - He felt he wasn't getting paid what he deserved relative to others like Chuck and Hughes.

And also....he didn't "retire", he "resigned".

If BJ wanted to retire the UFC cannot stop him. the only thing they could stop him doing is coming back and fighting in another org. So stop with the stupid debate on that. It's not slave labour we're talking about here.

Yea thats it thats the one.

That was about as credible as when Tito said it. Randy tried retiring to try and get out of his contract to try and fight Fedor. Dana smelled a rat and wouldn't let him go. Hence the whole year long legal battle which only ended because Randy's bank acct diminished

Source please.

Dave Meltzer, Johnathen Snowden et al. have very differing accounts to yours. Dont talk about credible sources when you offer none.

Also see post #14

Evaluate office relations pls and where can i find d source pls

Source please.

Dave Meltzer, Johnathen Snowden et al. have very differing accounts to yours. Dont talk about credible sources when you offer none.

Eh I don't see any sources for the comments that you have made in this thread... eg:
    Anyways there was no way Dana would let someone vacate two titles at once.

Show me a source of how exactly Dana or anybody in UFC could stop a fighter retiring no matter how many titles they have?? Seriously don't start getting pedantic about sources unless you can back up your points too.

Eh I don't see any sources for the comments that you have made in this thread... eg:.

Except the ones I named in the post of mine which you quoted. Would never made that post if it was for JohnMc1's dismissive reply. As I said in my previous "don’t talk about credible sources when you offer none" JohnMc raised the issue of credibility not me.
    Show me a source of how exactly Dana or anybody in UFC could stop a fighter retiring no matter how many titles they have?? Seriously don't start getting pedantic about sources unless you can back up your points too.

You know the difference between fact and opinion is right? Well that was my opinion after following how Dana has done business for the last 8 years and how title lineage is so important in combat sports.

Could u post a link rovert to the sources of the names that u supplied, would be nice u know:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Could u post a link rovert to the sources of the names that u supplied, would be nice u know:D:D:D:D:D

Wha? I already did.

In what thread then?

In what thread then?

This thread post #17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'm not sure about Snowden, but Meltzer counts Joe Silva as one of his best friends. About as good a source as you can get, along with Dana too

Snowden's book, Total MMA, is an extremely well-researched book

Do you really think that the UFC wouldn't put up the hardest fight that they could to get BJ not to retire if he'd won both titles? Dana's already convinced BJ to train to his fullest potential in the past, I think he'd figure out a way to appeal to BJ's ego

I'd still love to see him fight Guida, Diaz, Florian and a few others. I'm sure he'll be back

Fozzy wrote: »
    I'm not sure about Snowden, but Meltzer counts Joe Silva as one of his best friends. About as good a source as you can get, along with Dana too

Snowden's book, Total MMA, is an extremely well-researched book

Do you really think that the UFC wouldn't put up the hardest fight that they could to get BJ not to retire if he'd won both titles? Dana's already convinced BJ to train to his fullest potential in the past, I think he'd figure out a way to appeal to BJ's ego

Or gulit trip him.

Not only that Dana/UFC traditionally loathe tournaments.

Yea they could TRY all of these things. But at the end of the day, if BJ had his heart set on retirement there is SFA they could do about it.

Fozzy wrote: »

But what could they actually do if BJ had made up his mind? Nobody doubts that UFC would try and get him to change his mind. Of course they would as he is one of their biggest stars. But the point is that they couldn't do a thing about if he made his mind up.

rovert wrote:
    As I said in my previous "don’t talk about credible sources when you offer none" JohnMc raised the issue of credibility not me.

You are far too defensive and far too often your pedantic posts drag threads off topic. If it was up to me I would ban you every time you said:
    rovert wrote:
    I posted a story earlier in the week hinting about this.

Seriously who cares???

You are far too defensive and far too often your pedantic posts drag threads off topic. If it was up to me I would ban you every time you said:

Once again Ill explain this to you as I did in post#20 I would never made that post if it was for JohnMc1's dismissive reply. As I said in my previous "don’t talk about credible sources when you offer none" JohnMc raised the issue of credibility not me. Please dont accuse people of dragging threads off topic when I have repeat points to you.
    Seriously who cares???

It was a supporting point in case you didnt notice....

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

If BJ wants to retire no one can stop him but Dana could make life difficult for him as he did for randy. I remember seeing something on youtube where BJ said he wanted to concentrate on BJJ comps for awhile.

Randy mentions a number of things in wrestling for mma about his issues with the UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

This thread has taken a turn for the worst. No more back and forth arguing. If you dont have something constructive to post, dont post it.

Advertisement