Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website design and publishing costs.

Options
  • 03-02-2009 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hello ,wasn't sure whether or not to post in this forum.
    Basically my dad has gone and got a website made ,which cost him €900.
    I was going to get someone from boards to do it ,but I never got a price for it.
    Is 900 expensive for designing a basic site with a couple of link pages?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

depends entirely upon the quality of the site.

-does it look appealing
    -does it advertise the product/service well
    -is it properly constructed
    -is it easily found/crawled by google etc.
    -countless other factors

it's impossible to say without seeing it, but in general you'd expect something of quite high quality for in around the grand mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Thanks mirror ,it's cool so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

€900 is very cheap. There's not many professionals who would do something that cheap, so it's possible the quality might be very low for that price.

the guy that did it ,has worked for a big company over here and has just started out on his own.

He was over in the states as part of his training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

For €900 it's unlikely to be of top quality, however, if he's starting out by himself, you might just be lucky that he is desperate for work!

Why not post the URL so we can give some feedback and of course you can get some link love! :)

Tom

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

got a link to your dads site ?

Basically you'll find people charging anything from 10 quid to 10,000 ...

Really its impossible to say if the 900 quid is good without seeing the final site. His own site looks quite nice .. but the client portfolio doesn't really live up to it.

Are you getting a custom design or are you getting a template based site ... are you getting a content management system for that ?

Don't have a link to the site yet :o ,don't see my dad that often ,someone else told me he got the website done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

ah fair enough post back when you've got the address and we can give a breakdown of it for you :)

he seems to be of a fairly decent standard, and if your dads site is along the lines of his site and those of his portfolio then i wouldn't say you've been hard done by at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Yeah he looks pretty decent alright. The only thing you could do then is question the process and the aftercare service. Like does he do anything in terms of getting the site found etc.

Tom

Thanks for the replies ,I honestly know nothing about interweb business. The service end does make a lot of sense and I suppose that is were the value for money is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Is 900 expensive for designing a basic site with a couple of link pages?

Yes, that's very expensive.

Have a look at outsourcing it on www.scriptlance.com. You'll get a good quality basic website for about €100.

Note: I will be attacked by Irish web developers (i.e. people with a vested interest) for posting this. Check out the link I gave you and make up your own mind.

Doesn't display properly in my browser. IE7 v7.0.57 @ 1280 x 1024. Not good.

AARRRGH wrote: »

Have a look at outsourcing it on www.scriptlance.com. You'll get a good quality basic website for about €100.

Note: I will be attacked by Irish web developers (i.e. people with a vested interest) for posting this. Check out the link I gave you and make up your own mind.
    i disagree with the idea that €900 is necessarily cheap, without seeing the site. in general, people who aren't in the business will consider a site that doesn't do anything "fancy" to be "basic". but there are many good reasons to pay that much money for a so called "basic" site.

i do agree with the idea of outsourcing though, if you can get what you need for less, why not?

The reason I said basic in my original post is because ,I can't see the site being anything more than a homepage ,with maybe three link pages.

I'd consider a more advanced site ,one with payment pages and ordering forms ,with direct links to a business etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

I'd take AARRRGH's comments with a pinch of salt. He always comes onto web pricing threads saying websites should cost no more than 100, seems to have a grudge against professionals earning a wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

:rolleyes: No you'll be "attacked" for saying that a price is very expensive based on the OP using the word "basic".

If and when we see the site, maybe then you can comment; until then, the cost of a half-day's implementation of a generic template site cannot be compared. :mad:

As posted a million times : Minumum wage is €10 an hour in this country, and anyone that can get a unique, compelling site done in 10 hours without the cost of telephone calls or meetings is a psychic! I've talked to some clients for half that long and STILL only had a vague outline of what they wanted/expected.

Add in improving / resizing / cropping images provided, sourcing additional ones, "basic" SEO, testing in all browsers, (as well as a possible CMS and training) and you're still looking at at least €1,500 for a site that - to outsiders, might still look "basic".

P.S. I've also heard of people who charge €750 per day, so there is scope for a rip-off, but claiming €100 is a joke! :rolleyes:

P.P.S. The bottom of the media83 site menu is cropped in IE7...

It's cool , at a glance the site looked like an ebay type listing.From a professional point of view (not IT) ,it would never be an option.
    For a start ,personally I'd spend 200 just to deal with someone on the phone (irish). Then obviously the time involved in getting things right can take a lot of time up.

I really feel I shouldn't of started the thread now ,I can appreciate how hard it is start up a business. And then to have your work dissected without your knowledge isn't fair.

I'm greatful for the replies and insight into things ,

I knew the attacks from Irish web developers would start...

heggie wrote: »
    I'd take AARRRGH's comments with a pinch of salt. He always comes onto web pricing threads saying websites should cost no more than 100, seems to have a grudge against professionals earning a wage.

A basic website, outsourced, can be done very cheaply.

My comments have nothing to do with any sort of grudge against Irish web developers - I myself am an Irish web developer. I'm just being honest.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    :rolleyes: No you'll be "attacked" for saying that a price is very expensive based on the OP using the word "basic".

If and when we see the site, maybe then you can comment; until then, the cost of a half-day's implementation of a generic template site cannot be compared. :mad:

As posted a million times : Minumum wage is €10 an hour in this country, and anyone that can get a unique, compelling site done in 10 hours without the cost of telephone calls or meetings is a psychic! I've talked to some clients for half that long and STILL only had a vague outline of what they wanted/expected.

Add in improving / resizing / cropping images provided, sourcing additional ones, "basic" SEO, testing in all browsers, (as well as a possible CMS and training) and you're still looking at at least €1,500 for a site that - to outsiders, might still look "basic".

P.S. I've also heard of people who charge €750 per day, so there is scope for a rip-off, but claiming €100 is a joke! :rolleyes:

P.P.S. The bottom of the media83 site menu is cropped in IE7...

If you read my post, you will see I said the OP could get a decent basic website done for about €100 if he outsources the project.

€900 is expensive compared to €100.

The OP can decide for himself. I am just giving him the information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

is €900 a good price for a car?

This is another subjective question.

The question can not be answered objectively.

egan007 wrote: »
    is €900 a good price for a car?

This is another subjective question.

The question can not be answered objectively.

The OP isn't asking if €900 is expensive for a website, he is asking if €900 is expensive for a basic website with a homepage and three "link" pages. That's no where near as vague as "is €900 a good price for a car?".

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

i have dealt with many projects where the development work was being outsourced to another country. Often the quality of work done is much lower than if being done by irish companies. There is often a lack of understanding on what is actually being agreed.

If you are prepared to pay a low price, then you also need to be prepared for managing much of the project yourself, and ensuring that you get what you asked for.

Skadi wrote: »
    i have dealt with many projects where the development work was being outsourced to another country. Often the quality of work done is much lower than if being done by irish companies. There is often a lack of understanding on what is actually being agreed.

As someone who has outsourced a lot of projects, there are only problems if the person managing the project does a bad job. If you specify exactly what you want, you will get exactly what you want.

I accept the OP may be poor at managing projects so outsourcing may not be for him.

It's not difficult though. It just requires a bit of cop on.

Skadi wrote: »
    If you are prepared to pay a low price, then you also need to be prepared for managing much of the project yourself, and ensuring that you get what you asked for.

Agreed.

I accept the OP may be poor at managing projects so outsourcing may not be for him.

It's not difficult though. It just requires a bit of cop on.

Agreed.

Thanks for that ,so in your defense I'm stupid.:rolleyes:
    Thats cheap alright!

Thats cheap alright!

:confused:

I don't think you're stupid.

With outsourcing you need to assume the developer can't read your mind, so you have to define every single detail. As stated, this in itself isn't difficult, but it does require a certain amount of cop on, and gets easier with experience.

I have never said outsourcing is for everyone, but I do think everyone should consider it. Done correctly, it is very cost effective.

Again, I have nothing to gain by saying this. I'm just being totally honest from my many years of dealing with website development.

Thats cheap alright!
    lol, i can see why you're offended, but i get what he means. outsourcing can go horribly wrong unless you're very specific and generally a good knowledge of the way web development operates is necessary to convey properly what you need. which is why outsourcing just isn't an option for everyone. i don't believe he meant any offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

As someone who has outsourced a lot of projects, there are only problems if the person managing the project does a bad job. If you specify exactly what you want, you will get exactly what you want.

On the surface you may get what you asked for. As for quality of work that is another matter.

Well I'm not going to apologise ,he shouldn't have posted in this thread as he knew what little knowledge I have of things.

Cop on works both ways.

• Advertisement

Well I'm not going to apologise ,he shouldn't have posted in this thread as he knew what little knowledge I have of things.

Cop on works both ways.

I think you have misinterpreted what I was saying. I know nothing about you. I said you might be poor at managing projects - that does not mean you are poor at managing projects. It means I have no idea because I don't know you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement