Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website design and publishing costs.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Skadi wrote: »
    On the surface you may get what you asked for. As for quality of work that is another matter.

You could say the same about an Irish developer. Look, wages are very high in Ireland when compared to (for example) eastern Europe. It makes sense that this means it will cost a lot more for the same thing in Ireland. This applies to everything - houses, food, clothes, etc.

There are advantages to using an Irish developer - fluent English and lives within the Irish legal system - but if money is a factor, outsourcing should be considered. I am not saying "don't use an Irish company", I am saying "consider outsourcing". As the OP asked about costs, I assumed money was a factor for him.

I don't see why people should be attacked for mentioning outsourcing. I understand most of you guys are Irish web developers, but you should let people mention alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I think you have misinterpreted what I was saying. I know nothing about you. I said you might be poor at managing projects - that does not mean you are poor at managing projects. It means I have no idea because I don't know you.

But if I knew anything about web development ,surely I wouldn't be posting a thread like this ?

I can appreciate that it would be good business practice to outsource web development ,especially if you are sub-contracting a few jobs every week.
    But from my point of view ,it's part of what I'd be paying for is the knowledge that a company would share.
    Also the knowledge of how local networks/web works and lists things.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    But if I knew anything about web development ,surely I wouldn't be posting a thread like this ?

I can appreciate that it would be good business practice to outsource web development ,especially if you are sub-contracting a few jobs every week.
    But from my point of view ,it's part of what I'd be paying for is the knowledge that a company would share.
    Also the knowledge of how local networks/web works and lists things.

OK, use an Irish company. I was just trying to help you by offering some alternative advice. Take it or leave it, but do realise I went out of my way to respond to your topic in an attempt to help you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

OK, use an Irish company. I was just trying to help you by offering some alternative advice. You did ask for advice... nevermind.

Sorry if I offended you ,I do appreciate knowing there is cattle market style products out there. But in this instance and considering of all people it was for my dad ,communication is the key at the end of the day.

Thanks for sharing the information with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 canadiantz

I am trying to start a website, basically just to put up a few photos, and the name and contact details up.
    I have no idea where to start, other than I know I need to get a domain name etc...
    but how do i actually make up the site, and make it accessable on google?
    any help would be great,
    I'm doing this as a favor for an 83 year old woman, so the less expensive the better.

• Advertisement

canadiantz wrote: »
    I am trying to start a website, basically just to put up a few photos, and the name and contact details up.
    I have no idea where to start, other than I know I need to get a domain name etc...
    but how do i actually make up the site, and make it accessable on google?
    any help would be great,
    I'm doing this as a favor for an 83 year old woman, so the less expensive the better.

Would something like http://sites.google.com work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

egan007 wrote: »
    is €900 a good price for a car?

No chance! You'd have to be CRAZY to spend that much on a car!

I was in the Czech Republic a few years ago and a friend of mine picked up a car for around €100!!

Four wheels on the ground, doors to get in, steering wheel for directing yerself! sure what more do you need!?!?!

Not really Aarrrgh,

looking for something a bit more like .com or .ie, something simple for people to find. I have no problem buying a domain name for a couple hundred euro, but would need to find a host ?? for some software that can help me actually design the site.

i've heard about freewebs.com but you get something like .co.nr and it never shows up on google.

canadiantz wrote: »
    Not really Aarrrgh,

looking for something a bit more like .com or .ie, something simple for people to find. I have no problem buying a domain name for a couple hundred euro, but would need to find a host ?? for some software that can help me actually design the site.

i've heard about freewebs.com but you get something like .co.nr and it never shows up on google.

If you host the site in Ireland it will appear as an Irish website when you search on Google, regardless of what domain extension you use, e.g. i.e. or .co.nz. On the other hand, if you use a .ie domain you can host it anywhere and it will appear as an Irish site.

I host my websites in the US as it is a lot cheaper, and any speed difference (i.e. a server in the US compared to a server in Ireland) won't be noticed by a human, assuming you are not streaming movies or something like that. Have a look at www.webhostingtalk.com for recommendations.

Regarding building a website... either do it yourself, pay an Irish developer, or outsource it. Note a lot of hosting packages also include a basic "website builder" option which might work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Regarding building a website... either do it yourself, pay an Irish developer, or outsource it. Note a lot of hosting packages also include a basic "website builder" option which might work for you.

No need for a designer then? :eek:

• Advertisement

heggie wrote: »
    No need for a designer then? :eek:

Am I going to be criticised for everything I say? Seriously, some of you need to grow up.

He wants a very basic website for an 83 year old woman who wants to put some photos online. By all means he can hire a graphic designer as well as a web developer, but I think most people would consider that overkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Am I going to be criticised for everything I say?

Probably, going by your track record I think it's fair enough.

heggie wrote: »
    Probably, going by your track record I think it's fair enough.

Because I suggest outsourcing as an option to people on a budget? Give me a break.

I know it's easy to be the tough guy on the Internet, but you're just being petty.

aarrrgh,

thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.
    ps. don't let them get to ya, ha ha ha

thanks again,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

facepalm.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement