Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to regain money instead of hitting the Public Sector

Options
  • 03-02-2009 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

As we have all seen the FF/Green government has yet again played a stormer and kicked the bollocks out of the average Nurse,Garda,Solider,Firefighter and Civil Servant.

These people are paying for the corruption of the private sector, such as the Banks,Landlords,Builders etc

Here are a few idea's that could help :

1.) Landlords in Ireland 99% are or were making money hand over fist and not paying tax, how I know this well the PTRB has a list of registered landlords within Ireland and it seems that a small fraction only register but this does not oblige the PTRB to pass on the details to revenue,this degenerates are effectively running businesses and not paying tax, why has'nt the government tackled this imagine the revenue to be made from people with more than 1 house as you can live in more than one at the same time, hence you are running an illegal business...

2.) We have ten's of thousands of illegal immigrants from Non-EU states and the lovely corrupt country Nigeria, why are we paying 100's of millions for these "Criminals" as they basically have entered the country under false pretenses and should be either put into a detention camp and returned to their point of Origin, weither it be the UK,France,Holland etc...EU law dicatates the first country an asylum seeker lands in they have to seek it in that country...I don't know of any direct flights from China or Nigeria DO YOU !

3.) Social Welfare payments to Non Irish citizens, again although these people are in the EU, their home countries are not obliged to recpricate what we do here... Another Massive saving of money to economic tourists...

I can go on and on but whats idea's would you have in regards to this current destruction of the countries morale and economy by the worst and most corrupt government in the existence of this State...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Zionist wrote: »
    should be either put into a detention camp
    Considering your nickname, I'm choking on the irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

As we have all seen the FF/Green government has yet again played a stormer and kicked the bollocks out of the average Nurse,Garda,Solider,Firefighter and Civil Servant.

These people are paying for the corruption of the private sector, such as the Banks,Landlords,Builders etc

Here are a few idea's that could help...

Civil Servant eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Here are a few idea's that could help :

1.) Landlords in Ireland 99% are or were making money hand over fist and not paying tax, how I know this well the PTRB has a list of registered landlords within Ireland and it seems that a small fraction only register but this does not oblige the PTRB to pass on the details to revenue,this degenerates are effectively running businesses and not paying tax, why has'nt the government tackled this imagine the revenue to be made from people with more than 1 house as you can live in more than one at the same time, hence you are running an illegal business...

2.) We have ten's of thousands of illegal immigrants from Non-EU states and the lovely corrupt country Nigeria, why are we paying 100's of millions for these "Criminals" as they basically have entered the country under false pretenses and should be either put into a detention camp and returned to their point of Origin, weither it be the UK,France,Holland etc...EU law dicatates the first country an asylum seeker lands in they have to seek it in that country...I don't know of any direct flights from China or Nigeria DO YOU !

3.) Social Welfare payments to Non Irish citizens, again although these people are in the EU, their home countries are not obliged to recpricate what we do here... Another Massive saving of money to economic tourists...

I can go on and on but whats idea's would you have in regards to this current destruction of the countries morale and economy by the worst and most corrupt government in the existence of this State...

This would basically be the same government (minus the Greens) that created the HSE (full of fine public sector workers), that increased the number of state quangoes (again public sector workers), that gave benchmarking awards to state employees firstly to match their private sector counterparts (who happen to be paid more because sometimes they lose their jobs and they don't usually have defined benefit pensions) and someitmes under the pretence they would be more productive.

Most people would see this and the last two governments being too good to the public sector.
    BTW ordinary workers in the private sector are paying as well :mad:

Try and stop blaming foreign workers for our ills.
    BTW they are entitles to welfare if they have contributed to out tax system, something some of our habitually unemployed have not.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Listen, the public sector has been guilty of hundreds of millions, and probably billions of waste. They can't do their own jobs hence why they need to constantly hire consultants. PPARS, the bailout of the religious orders, Pulse, road contracts, faked overtime, pay rises way out of whack with the international norm, bonuses for top civil servants all of whom have always performed excellently apparently, Farmleigh house, the Taoiseach's residence, Luas, Dublin Port tunnel, MediaLab Europe, inability to estimate the cost of things like the medical card for over 70s, GPs being overpaid,a whole Govt department that nobody knows what it does (dept of health), FAS, voting machines... It all goes on. the public service can't do its job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

jdivision wrote: »
    Listen, the public sector has been guilty of hundreds of millions, and probably billions of waste. They can't do their own jobs hence why they need to constantly hire consultants. PPARS, the bailout of the religious orders, Pulse, road contracts, faked overtime, pay rises way out of whack with the international norm, bonuses for top civil servants all of whom have always performed excellently apparently, Farmleigh house, the Taoiseach's residence, Luas, Dublin Port tunnel, MediaLab Europe, inability to estimate the cost of things like the medical card for over 70s, GPs being overpaid,a whole Govt department that nobody knows what it does (dept of health), FAS, voting machines... It all goes on. the public service can't do its job.

I take it that you are applying for a job in the Indo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Economics and public-service bashing is part of the the job description of the Indo's food critic.

That's private sector efficiency for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

All this would probably cost more, not the mention the whole moral issues behind it, alot of these people cant go home, its plain racism to brand them all as criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Zionist

wylo wrote: »
    All this would probably cost more, not the mention the whole moral issues behind it, alot of these people cant go home, its plain racism to brand them all as criminals.

It's plain racism to come to a country rip it off because of our good nature and make false claims..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's plain racism to come to a country rip it off because of our good nature and make false claims..

It's plain fraud, not racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

its clearly apparent that in the last few weeks , every public servant in the country has attended some tutorial or other where they were each briefed on what the party line is on how to aruge against public sector cuts and criticism

are you applying for a job at the sindo
    we didnt create this mess

to a man and woman like clones , they all come out with the same jargon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Zionist - I'm going to ignore the more rightwing ideas in your OP - but I agree 100% with the above bit.

I am a landlord (and have been for the last 6 years). I pay my taxes. I know of at least 4 mates who are renting properties out and none of them are paying taxes. I always bring it up over a few pints and they say "If we paid tax on the rental income then we couldn't afford the mortgage". Well if the revenue had clamped down on this a long time ago then it would've slowed the property boom down a bit over the last few years as less "investors" would've dipped their toe in if they couldn't actually afford it.

When I hear rumblings about increasing taxes (or introducing property taxes) on second homes I just know that as usual it is going to hit people who are properly paying their taxes all along and not the ones who have been dodging !!

The problem the government / revenue have now is that if they do start clamping down on rental tax dodgers then a lot more mortgages will become bad debts.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭deisebabe

Since the indo has implemented paycuts in all their papers I dont think so.

This country is in dire straights because of a combination of the overpaid civil servants and contractors as well as financing refugees that come here to take the p*ss. We need to cut back in all the areas not just one.

I'm also a "landlord" and i pay my taxes. I've also paid stamp duty on both houses i've purchased and the government is taking the P*SS coming after the likes of us again.

If the civil servants had gotten their affairs in order long ago money wouldn't be wasted on contractors and these cutbacks would not be necessary.

Another thing...to help the taxi drivers and bus drivers, put a stop to the nigerians with corsas as taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

scargill wrote: »
    I know of at least 4 mates who are renting properties out and none of them are paying taxes. I always bring it up over a few pints and they say "If we paid tax on the rental income then we couldn't afford the mortgage". Well if the revenue had clamped down on this a long time ago then it would've slowed the property boom down a bit over the last few years as less "investors" would've dipped their toe in if they couldn't actually afford it.

When I hear rumblings about increasing taxes (or introducing property taxes) on second homes I just know that as usual it is going to hit people who are properly paying their taxes all along and not the ones who have been dodging !!

The problem the government / revenue have now is that if they do start clamping down on rental tax dodgers then a lot more mortgages will become bad debts.....

Report the fnckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

What branch of the public service are you working for? The public service is bloated, doesn't work hard enough, is treated with kid gloves and is massively overpaid even before pensions are taken into account. how was this paid for? Largely through tax receipts from property. Who encouraged this? The public service by introducing tax incentives and not removing tax loopholes. You can dole out criticism to private sector but can't take it. The irony. Mollycoddled for far too long, you can't face the real world. Look at the backlog in the applicants for jobseekers allowance etc in the Dept of Social Welfare. They didn't have to do work for a decade and guess what, they can't handle doing their job now.

A fireman is overpaid, you must say that him when he is cutting you out of a car or saving your life.

A Garda is overpaid when he is tackling hardened criminals and risking his/her life.

A Solider is overpaid when he/she is in chad etc putting his life at risk or doing CIT in Ireland.

A Nurse is overpaid when they are helping you in a hospital,delivering your children or saving your life...

Please change your tune as it is both false and disinformation, there are plenty of civil servants doing there jobs as well as ones who do not.

The Private sectors are more responsible for this.....Why so I/We bail out the Banks, why should I pay for directors massive bonuses...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

some part of each will strike over this anyways. the nurses will go, civil service will pull out social welfare, county council will pull out clerical and so on.

it just not going to work. it is biased there are good hard working people who have got hit hard over this. i was looking at the figues and if you earn 30K its 5.8% on top of your 1% levy. if you earn 35K its 6.4% on top of your 1% levy. thats a .6% increase.

But if you earn 200k its 9.4% and if you earn 300K its 9.6%. only a .2% increase on 100K more earnings. also the people on this high a salary in the civil service have recived a 1.1% increase in their wages recently which wipes out the 1% levy.

scargill wrote: »
    Zionist - I'm going to ignore the more rightwing ideas in your OP - but I agree 100% with the above bit.

I am a landlord (and have been for the last 6 years). I pay my taxes. I know of at least 4 mates who are renting properties out and none of them are paying taxes. I always bring it up over a few pints and they say "If we paid tax on the rental income then we couldn't afford the mortgage". Well if the revenue had clamped down on this a long time ago then it would've slowed the property boom down a bit over the last few years as less "investors" would've dipped their toe in if they couldn't actually afford it.

You are one of few and I commend thee, my idea's may seem right wing but it is what is on most peoples minds...

I have been in Refugee camps (Real ones) in Rwanda,Tanzania,Bosnia and Chad these people are refugees they are not the corrupt middle classes from nigeria here to rip us off economically and claiming asylum...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 truthflyer

Lets face it, the Civil Servants had it coming.......:P

The only problem is the measures did not go far enough

David Begg is in the firing line as being responsible for destroying the country.

Please please just one day in our history could we have a strong leader.

What's needed now is a Maggie to sort out these parasites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I thought this thread was set up to come up with ideas to generate money that don't centre on the Public Sector. Interesting to see that the majority of (I assume) private sector workers/unemployed people here are just using it to vent their misplaced anger and ignorance.

Zionist, I agree with your landlord point.

Unfortunately, your other points are slightly ridiculous. Not all Nigerian people entering this country are doing so under fraudulant reasons. Also, as for foreign workers receiving benefits after they have worked here, they are entitled to do so, especially if they are part of the EU. If you would like us to leave the EU, then say so, but also outline where you think the money is going to come from to help us rebuild ourselves.

As for everyone else whinging about the public sector, get a hobby, it's getting boring and your ignorance really shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

deisebabe wrote: »
    Another thing...to help the taxi drivers and bus drivers, put a stop to the nigerians with corsas as taxis.

Is that because they are black? Or have you something against Corsas? Are black Corsas particularly evil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

As for everyone else whinging about the public sector, get a hobby, it's getting boring and your ignorance really shows.

That's just the way it goes.

The private sector are ignorant of the public sector and the public sector are ignorant of the private sector.

Is that because they are black? Or have you something against Corsas? Are black Corsas particularly evil?

I'd only ever get in to a green Corsa... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

A fireman is overpaid, you must say that him when he is cutting you out of a car or saving your life.

Thats their job
    A Garda is overpaid when he is tackling hardened criminals and risking his/her life.

They are well paid for what they do. How about the Gardai going on a go slow at the emigration desks at Dublin Airport because their meal allowance isn't to their liking.
    A Solider is overpaid when he/she is in chad etc putting his life at risk or doing CIT in Ireland.

Again thats a vocational choice. I have never heard of someone wanting to be a soldier to get rich in any country?
    A Nurse is overpaid when they are helping you in a hospital,delivering your children or saving your life...

Won't argue with you about nurses they go above and beyond the call of duty. However from my experience in hospitals (from attending because of family illnesses) there are an awful lot of admin staff.
    Please change your tune as it is both false and disinformation, there are plenty of civil servants doing there jobs as well as ones who do not.

Yes but what are your solutions to the ones that are not pulling their weight. If for example 10% of the workforce are not doing their jobs or have no jobs beyond a title what would your solution be to that?
    The Private sectors are more responsible for this.....Why so I/We bail out the Banks, why should I pay for directors massive bonuses...

Actually imho the Government are suppose to be managing the economy and they dismally failed in this respect. The private sector is already paying a heavy price as has been clearly demonstrated in this thread and the many others on this forum. The money is not there to pay a bloated Pubilc Service so there has to be a correction. This is the start of that correction and if we want the Gardai, the Nurses, the Soldiers and the Firemen to have the resources that they deserve to do their challenging and necessary jobs we need to cull the dead weight who are not necessary. Thats the reality.

BTW you never answered what part of the public service are you in?

Vegeta wrote: »
    That's just the way it goes.

The private sector are ignorant of the public sector and the public sector are ignorant of the private sector.

Wow, what a totally ignorant thing to say. I've worked in both, am now in public but married to someone in private. There are many, many more like myself. In fact, the majority (I will go out on a limb to say this) of public sector workers know full well of what is happening in the private secto.

They also have their own opinions on things that need to be done (shock horror), maybe everyone here could try to read back over other threads and posts to figure that out before they make the same point again and again and again.

Do you all think that yous are the first person to vent your spleen on this forum about that topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

stevoman wrote: »
    But if you earn 200k its 9.4% and if you earn 300K its 9.6%. only a .2% increase on 100K more earnings. also the people on this high a salary in the civil service have recived a 1.1% increase in their wages recently which wipes out the 1% levy.

It's a 3% income levy on that money, not 1%.

I'm sure the figures weren't plucked out of the air...if you earn €15k now and pay 3%, your pension is still going to be based on the salary of the person NOW employed in the grade you retired at. NOBODY in the average private sector job gets that.

This problem could be entirely averted if the public sector was told it was getting a defined contribution pension and paid for it entirely.

I do not accept the misguided view of any citizen of this state that they are paying for the banks, least of all public service employees. The recap will make a return that no current expenditure can, and if the banks failed there would be no wages, no change in the supermarket, no laser card processing, no credit card processing, no import/export. We would be WORSE off than Iceland.

Read that paragraph 5 times and if you still don't get it you never will.

gandalf wrote: »
    Thats their job

They are well paid for what they do. How about the Gardai going on a go slow at the emigration desks at Dublin Airport because their meal allowance isn't to their liking.

Again thats a vocational choice. I have never heard of someone wanting to be a soldier to get rich in any country?

Won't argue with you about nurses they go above and beyond the call of duty. However from my experience in hospitals (from attending because of family illnesses) there are an awful lot of admin staff.

Yes but what are your solutions to the ones that are not pulling their weight. If for example 10% of the workforce are not doing their jobs or have no jobs beyond a title what would your solution be to that?

Actually imho the Government are suppose to be managing the economy and they dismally failed in this respect. The private sector is already paying a heavy price as has been clearly demonstrated in this thread and the many others on this forum. The money is not there to pay a bloated Pubilc Service so there has to be a correction. This is the start of that correction and if we want the Gardai, the Nurses, the Soldiers and the Firemen to have the resources that they deserve to do their challenging and necessary jobs we need to cull the dead weight who are not necessary. Thats the reality.

BTW you never answered what part of the public service are you in?

My Solution, very very simple to make the Public/Private Sector really effective... Remove their job security meaning, when in either of the above they can be dismissed for lack of progession, lack of meeting performance levels, pay increases based on performance and not a sliding scale for time in the role.

If we treat them like the private sector they can no longer, sit there and do nothing they have to work or they will be let go...The current hit on them although is wrong for the rank and file.

As for the public servants I mentioned they have a needy purpose in this country weither they choose the profession or not they are vital servants that are being tarred with the same brush as the entire government services...

I am a solider a public servant and should'nt have to take a hit for Anglo Irish Bank, Sean Fitzpatrick or any corrupt part of the private sector..

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

EU law dicatates the first country an asylum seeker lands in they have to seek it in that country...I don't know of any direct flights from China or Nigeria DO YOU !
    Infracted and banned, per charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

No sympathy here for the public sector worker. They are being asked to put their own money into their own pensions that they themselves get back when they retire !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Pal wrote: »
    No sympathy here for the public sector worker. They are being asked to put their own money into their own pensions that they themselves get back when they retire !

No, they are being asked to put MORE of their own money in, pay the 1% levy and forego an agreed pay rise.

Thats a de facto 15% paycut.

Have a little think about that when the inevitble industrial action happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 truthflyer

No, they are being asked to put MORE of their own money in, pay the 1% levy and forego an agreed pay rise.

Thats a de facto 15% paycut.

Have a little think about that when the inevitble industrial action happens.

Roll on the industrial action you will get NO sympathy!

Advertisement