Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning permission for a Polytunnel?

• 03-02-2009 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41

Hi all,

I received the "The Polytunnel Handbook" in the post yesterday and last night read a paragraph that said to check with the local authority re planning permission. Thinking it was a silly idea but nevertheless cautious I rang the county council today and was told that "Yes" I definitely need planning permission to erect a polytunnel in my garden. I never mentioned size. If it was farmland then no problem I was told up to 300 square metres.

I was told this also applies to the Lean-To pollytunnels that attach to the side of a garage.

Can anyone verify? Or had similar experiences?

G. (In Galway)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Three minutes on google brought up this bit from Galway Council re exemptions to a house extension - includes conservatories. If a conservatory can be exempt from planning application subject to the regulations, then why not a temporary structure like a lean-to.

I would ask the council for chapter and verse on the planning regs - and ask again at another time to see if you get the same answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 gibbers

Thanks Minder. Thats led me to do a bit more searching on the Galway CoCo site and I found this Section 7 - Can I Build a Garage.

These conditions don't just apply to Garages but also to greenhouses so I presume Polytunnels fall under the same category. It appears that as long as the structure is behind the building line and less than 25 sq metres in size then it should be ok! I would always like to get that in writing from them though based on past experience. Talking to the right person in the council is the problem.

If anyone else has any experience on this subject let me know thanks.

G.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

isn't a poly tunnel a temporary structure as the plastic can be taken down & the whole lot can be moved in a day if you want to reposition it .

I'm cynical when it comes to any planning application - it always seems to be accompanied by money, even if the application is invalid. You fill out your application, enclose a cheque only to be told that you didn't need planning permission in the first place. Refund? no chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Gozer

gibbers wrote: »
    Hi all,

I received the "The Polytunnel Handbook" in the post yesterday and last night read a paragraph that said to check with the local authority re planning permission. Thinking it was a silly idea but nevertheless cautious I rang the county council today and was told that "Yes" I definitely need planning permission to erect a polytunnel in my garden. I never mentioned size. If it was farmland then no problem I was told up to 300 square metres.

I was told this also applies to the Lean-To pollytunnels that attach to the side of a garage.

G. (In Galway)

Dont bother to apply it's only a money making exercise for the County Council.
    the only time it could become a issue is
    1.A neighbour complains about it or
    2.You sell your home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

Hi all,

G. (In Galway)

I am in Galway and want to get a polytunnel that will be fairly sturdy - what with the winds and all, and the only place (and cheapest) who do them with base and that look like they will not blow away if you sneeze are - firsttunnels.co.uk - but I got onto them and the postage alone is 75 sterling. Did you get one somewhere in Galway, and is it sturdy? Can you PM me details if so?

Cheers!
    D2G

Sent you a PM with some details in it but in short for everyone else, I went with Firsttunnels.co.uk and they delivered last Thursday, about a two week turn around. I found the service very good, and the product options and quality excellent compared with some of the Irish options. As usual they were even a lot cheaper than their Irish counterpaths and had more build options.

So there were lots of reasons for going with them but primarily the strength of the tunnel for our very exposed site. It's going up next weekend or the weekend after which is fine as our seeds are just started in propogaters. Hopefully our neighbours across the road will be nice and neighbourly and not view our purchase with envious eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Gozer wrote: »
    Dont bother to apply it's only a money making exercise for the County Council.
    the only time it could become a issue is
    1.A neighbour complains about it or
    2.You sell your home.

That looks like running the gauntlet and probably bad advice. A Polytunnel is a commercial structure and all Comm structures require Pl App.

The CC do not require a complaint from a neighbour to act on unauthorised development which is what a PT would be in a residential area.

A polytunnel can be classed as a commercial structure - it depends on the size. This bumf from First Tunnels applies to the UK
    What are the planning regulations for Polytunnels?
    In general you do not need planning permission for sheds, greenhouses, summerhouses or polytunnels. However you will need to apply for planning permission if the polytunnel is nearer to any road than the nearest part of the house, unless there’s at least 20m between the polytunnel and a road. You can’t build over 3m high (or more than 4m if it has a pitched roof). A pitched roof has its ridge at the centre, and both sides slope down at the same angle - this accurately describes a polytunnel roof.

Take extra care if your site has a listed building or resides in a conservation area, national park, or area of outstanding natural beauty. There are further restrictions to planning in these cases. Please click here to download a planning guide for householders.

If you are thinking of ordering a large commercial sized structure or more than one or you have any worries at all, have a word with your local planning department. Please click here to download a planning guide for farmers.

Get chapter and verse from the local council.

So your right, best to hear it from the horses mouth. I went into the Co Co today and spoke with some of their planning assistants who liased with the planners while I waited.

The good news is no Planning permission is required provided you follow some rules. I posted a link above in one of my earlier posts. In short, as long as its below 25 sq meters in size, below 3 meters high, is behind the building line and not used for commercial purposes your exempt.

What gets me is when I rang about 2 months ago I was given a completely different story. Moral of the story is speak directly to them rather than over the phone where you can be dismissed easily. I also got some photo copies of the rules from their official planning regulations book.

Happy days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

So your right, best to hear it from the horses mouth. I went into the Co Co today and spoke with some of their planning assistants who liased with the planners while I waited.

The good news is no Planning permission is required provided you follow some rules. I posted a link above in one of my earlier posts. In short, as long as its below 25 sq meters in size, below 3 meters high, is behind the building line and not used for commercial purposes your exempt.

What gets me is when I rang about 2 months ago I was given a completely different story. Moral of the story is speak directly to them rather than over the phone where you can be dismissed easily. I also got some photo copies of the rules from their official planning regulations book.

Happy days...

From what I hear, the co co is almost bankrupt anyhow:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

Also thinking of a polytunnel in a windy spot in Connemara in Co. Galway. Did you put up the PT yourself gibbers and if so would you let me know how you got on? I'm worried that the first Atlantic gale would rip it out of the ground here....

Hey. I didn't get round to it this weekend to be honest but next weekend weather provided, it will be going up. Normally it would be straight forward enough to erect when it's going on grass, but I'm making three raised beds on a stoney area. And because of the stone I also need a mini digger to help me out.

In the mean time have a look at the firsttunnels website as they offer anchor plates for the ground and storm braces to provide extra strength for the tunnel. If your thinking of buying a large tunnel then your probably best to bury the plastic covering as well as getting crop bar supports (which are handy for hanging baskets, suspended staging or even a hammock!).

I'm going to with the Base Rail option, again because my stoney site makes burying the plastic difficult. It will still be strong enough.

Also have a look at the wind break netting they provide which will also help you.

Gibbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭John mac

i just bought one from them 14 foot x 25 foot super (€88 for delivery)
    i also live on an exposed site so went with storm braces and crop bars. (hammock sounds nice):D

Well it arrived on Friday.
    Spent Sunday digging the foundation holes and Concreting in the foundation tubes.
    also put the Hoops together.
    today put the rest of the hardware on and fitted in position.

Next is to dig the trench for the Polythene.

They even included a Tea bag with the instructions! to have while you studied them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 derekg7723

Hi there, I bought a house in co Galway a year ago in a very windy area. There was a poly tunnel already there. Its about 4 years old and its still standing! There was only half doors on either end so that "the wind can blow through and not cause any damage", according to the previous owners! I fitted full doors and totally improved things with it. Anything we sow in it grows and its a good past time. We planted some potatoes on 17th march and they are about a foot tall already. Good luck with it and enjoy.

now for a Calm warm day :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

but nevertheless cautious I rang the county council today and was told that "Yes" I definitely need planning permission to erect a polytunnel in my garden.

Call me cynical but, beware of thumb-twiddlers trying to justify their existence and salaries in the present climate.

All done :)

Quite a bit of work backfilling the trench, will post a pic later (if anyone is interested!)

There you have it.
    Now for the planting :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

John mac wrote: »
    now for a Calm warm day :eek:

When I see that photo of the trench, I'm glad I bought the aluminum base rail kit :D

I notice you have Door end Rail supports up to the ridge, I didn't get any for the Door end Supports, just the crop rails, where they extra???

Qwerty? wrote: »
    When I see that photo of the trench, I'm glad I bought the aluminum base rail kit :D

I notice you have Door end Rail supports up to the ridge, I didn't get any for the Door end Supports, just the crop rails, where they extra???

no thats the way they came.

it may be the design of the 'super high sided' tunnel as the top of the hoop is about 8 feet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

John, good work on the tunnel it looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bonnyjishop

I am in Galway and want to get a polytunnel that will be fairly sturdy - what with the winds and all, and the only place (and cheapest) who do them with base and that look like they will not blow away if you sneeze are - firsttunnels.co.uk - but I got onto them and the postage alone is 75 sterling. Did you get one somewhere in Galway, and is it sturdy? Can you PM me details if so?

Cheers!
    D2G

Hi D2G !
    I know this is quite an old post but did you put up a polytunnel? if you haven't yet here's a great link for building your own ! i have had a good look and it seems that this project looks a very easy economical build !

http://www.overthegardengate.net/UserPages/pp_view.asp?FName=Polytunnel&Page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1 772sar

I know this is a long time after the last post but a 14 x 25 ft polytunnel is equivalent to 32.5 sqm so 7.5sqm over the stipulated 25sqm allowance quoted for planning permission. I wouldn't go below this size for a useful tunnel however as I've packed my neighbours one to the limit easily.

It all depends on what you want to do with it however and how urban your situation is. My neighbours wife also packs the tunnel out with washing as it's the only way to get anything dry in glorious Donegal!

I'm looking at putting up an tunnel whose frame was origionally an old mushroom tunnel as all the mushroom farms in this area seem to be closing down since the grant incentives ran out. The frames for the tunnels are made from quite substantial tubing to suspend the insulation needed to grow mushrooms and the frames can go very cheap. Coming in at 30 ft (9.1m) x 60 ft (18.2m) = 1800 sqft (165.6 sqm) I think I may have to apply for planning permission but at least I'll be able to provide all my vegetable and floral desires and be able to get out and enjoy the glorious Irish summer!

How much will the County Council be ripping me off for a planning application?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Does anyone know for sure what the rules are for Poly tunnels? Or is the answer, County Council dependent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Somewhere in the back of my head I have the notion that they are considered temporary structures so they are fine. Give polydome a ring, they'll know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

How temporary a structure are they normally?, seems like a lot of effort if they need to be replaced every few years, wouldn't a large aluminium poly greenhouse be a better long term solution? Genuinely curious.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It's a technical term. You would hope your tunnel would last a lifetime, with the cover needing replacing every 10-15 years. But it's still very easily removed. Take down the timber gables and pull up the foundation tubes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement