Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the Origin of Species

Options
  • 03-02-2009 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

As this year is the 150th anniversary of the publication of this famous work by Charles Darwin, I was wondering if anyone here ever read it.
    Tagged:

Comments

I'd say most have, at least most seem to have done so anyway. I have, it's a good idea of read them consecutively with his other books - The Voyage of the Beagle and The Descent of Man - two very good books.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I haven't read more than a chapter or so, many moons ago.

I'm sure it's everything it is supposed to be, but life too short to be plowing through 150 yr old books. I get my science from the odd newer tome, and mainly read for recreation. That's having a kid for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've read it and also the updated version by Steve Jones, Almost Like A Whale. I found the latter easier to read as it wasn't written in ye olde tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I'm on my 3rd reading now in 4 years or so. I still enjoy it but do prefer the more modern takes on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Haven't read it. Probably won't bother. Not too fond of non-fiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Haven't read it. Probably won't bother. Not too fond of non-fiction.

**Tries desperately to avoid making Bible Joke**

Gambler wrote: »
    **Tries desperately to avoid making Bible Joke**

Huh? I haven't read the Bible either...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Haven't read it either. While it was ground breaking at the time there have been so many advancements and additional evidence gathered since that it is more of an interest for it's historical significance than to anyone interested in understanding evolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I bought it a while ago but haven't read it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Galvasean wrote: »
    I've read it and also the updated version by Steve Jones, Almost Like A Whale. I found the latter easier to read as it wasn't written in ye olde tongue.
    Same here, I found Steve Jones series of homages to Darwin to be a great read. Y: The Descent of Man was an enjoyable read, but Almost Like A Whale is probably his best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Yep, read it a couple of times and liked it. It's kind of a pre-requisite for anyone involved in any way in biology I think.

I've been kind of wanting to read the bible actually, straight through, for a laugh, but can't bring myself to buy one. :eek: I should have picked it up along with the God Delusion that time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Malari wrote: »
    I've been kind of wanting to read the bible actually, straight through, for a laugh, but can't bring myself to buy one. :eek: I should have picked it up along with the God Delusion that time...

If only someone would be smart enough to come out with a place where you could rent books like you rent movies in xtravision? but instead of paying to rent them you could rent them for free! hmm... :rolleyes:

I've never read the Origin of Species, and don't plan to. I prefer to find a point, argue it, research more, argue more... rinse repeat. I find most books rather long winded and lacking of the dynamics that come from discussion.

"Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking." - Einstein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

It's boring, and you already know what it says. Don't bother unless you are studying it or really care about seeming intellectual. As mentioned, almost like a whale is more interesting.

If only someone would be smart enough to come out with a place where you could rent books like you rent movies in xtravision? but instead of paying to rent them you could rent them for free! hmm... :rolleyes:

Smarty-pants :p OK, I'd be deeply ashamed also of "renting" a bible from a library.
    I've never read the Origin of Species, and don't plan to. I prefer to find a point, argue it, research more, argue more... rinse repeat. I find most books rather long winded and lacking of the dynamics that come from discussion.

Reading and well-thought out discussion are not mutually exclusive you know!

Nah, it's a lousy business plan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

Seeing as it's so old, copyrights have long expired and you can download it for free here and even an audio book here..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

No. Although it is arguably the most important book ever written, it is out of date and written in Victorian English. Much shorter and modern books on the subject would convey more information.

That being said, I do feel a little embarassed I haven't (I have a copy, just never read it). Being a scientist, it's the same as being a Christian who's never read the bible.

No. Although it is arguably the most important book ever written, it is out of date and written in Victorian English. Much shorter and modern books on the subject would convey more information.

That being said, I do feel a little embarassed I haven't (I have a copy, just never read it). Being a scientist, it's the same as being a Christian who's never read the bible.

You should try it, being a scientist you still need to go back to original published papers and read them sometimes, instead of reading more concise and clearer reviews. They are helpful, but not original...I think :D

Malari wrote: »
    Reading and well-thought out discussion are not mutually exclusive you know!

I never said they where. I do believe however that they are not mutually beneficial. It depends on the individual tbh.

An analogy could be an individual running on a treadmill compared to running around a field playing a game of football. Both activities will give you exercise and work your muscles to make them stronger, the latter, however, I find a lot more enjoyable and a lot more engaging for the mind as it varies often and changes depending on who you engage with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

The Origin of Species is not the basis of science (other than evolutionary biology) is it? Surely the science equivalent of the Bible would be Descarte's Discourse on Method? Have you read it?

• Advertisement

Sure wasn't Darwin great? I think he did more than anyone else in history, along with Jesus Christ, to discredit racism.
    I prefer to find a point, argue it, research more, argue more... rinse repeat. I find most books rather long winded and lacking of the dynamics that come from discussion.
    This explains a lot.

j/k
    Books are important research tools. The written word is inseparable from informed and resourceful discussion.

Húrin wrote: »
    Books are important research tools. The written word is inseparable from informed and resourceful discussion.

Don't mistake my point, I am not against written word, I just prefer it in white paper, dissertation or thesis format.

Húrin wrote: »
    The Origin of Species is not the basis of science (other than evolutionary biology) is it? Surely the science equivalent of the Bible would be Descarte's Discourse on Method? Have you read it?

That's being a little pedantic, methinks. The bible isn't the source of Christianity, just the handbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Not much of a handbook if it requires interpretation and it is possible for two people to have wildly different ideas about what it is saying.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Re-reading it now to coincide with a quick trip over to the Galapagos in a week or so.

I got thinking...if the bible was the source of the religion, it should be called biblianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

That's being a little pedantic, methinks. The bible isn't the source of Christianity, just the handbook.

Apparently not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    Re-reading it now to coincide with a quick trip over to the Galapagos in a week or so.

Ahh nice :) That's proper tribute to an idea like evolution, actually seeing what helped form it in the first place.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Its a wonderful book to read. I really enjoyed how he eloquently puts forward his arguments without any knowledge of genetics.
    I did however skip the chapters on hybridisation etc that Darwin got wrong.

And its not all "ye ole English" as you may think!

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    Its a wonderful book to read....
    And its not all "ye ole English" as you may think!

Indeed, 19th century English is usually quite understandable. The language has undergone relatively little change since the Industrial Revolution started (due IMO to centralisation of institutions).

Advertisement