Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux???

• 03-02-2009 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

just bought a laptop with linux as the operating system on it, is this any use?
    or is it just like windows?

someone please shed some light on this!
    thanks, sean.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Nah, you should use MacOS

*runs away*...

...*comes back again*

On a more serious note, you might get a more informed response here.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 seanos2

could i put macOS leopard onto this system?

I"M A MAC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from Laptops.

thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Depends on what you want it for and how you'd rate your ability with a computer.
    Since you don't know what linux is I'd guess you should probably try get a hold of a copy of windows before you start pulling your hair out.

• Advertisement

i know what linux is, just never used it before, i'll be using the notebook for photo editing and sound editing, i used to using mac and i need to get a tiny notebook for college. is it possible to put mac or windows onto this system ?

There should be no reason you can't.

Seifer wrote: »
    There should be no reason you can't.

Yeah, assuming you're willing to part with €100+ for a copy of Windows. Call me crazy, but that wouldn't be my first choice...

Linux-based operating systems are easier to use than ever. Many tasks are even easier in (for example) Ubuntu than in Windows. I'd suggest spending a little time getting to know the OS and trying out the huge wealth of free software available. Seeing as you need to work with multimedia, it would be worth looking at Ubuntu Studio.

Then, if you end up liking it, you have an extra €100 to spend (not to be taken lightly in a recession, eh?)

FruitLover wrote: »
    Yeah, assuming you're willing to part with €100+ for a copy of Windows. Call me crazy, but that wouldn't be my first choice...

Linux-based operating systems are easier to use than ever. Many tasks are even easier in (for example) Ubuntu than in Windows. I'd suggest spending a little time getting to know the OS and trying out the huge wealth of free software available. Then, if you end up liking it, you have an extra €100 to spend (not to be taken lightly in a recession, eh?)

is it good for using programs like photoshop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

The alternative to photoshop available in linux and windows would be GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). http://www.gimp.org

• Advertisement

cool thanks man i'll give it a try when i get the laptop, i suppose mesing around with it and trying stuff out is the best thing to do!

Linux-based operating systems are easier to use than ever. Many tasks are even easier in (for example) Ubuntu than in Windows.
    And many others are so much more complicated.
    But yeah try it out and see if you like it, you've nothing to lose.

good luck! as they say... "linux is a hobby, not an operating system"

eightcell wrote: »

yeah ...ok! ?

seanos2 wrote: »
    yeah ...ok! ?

you'll know what i mean when you start using it properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The alternative to photoshop available in linux and windows would be GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). http://www.gimp.org

If you're used to Photoshop try GimpShop. It's GIMP hacked to have similar menus to Photoshop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Macros42 wrote: »
    If you're used to Photoshop try GimpShop. It's GIMP hacked to have similar menus to Photoshop.
    damn was going to post that

with windows you have to get all your programs and install them one by one
    most open source os's have things like openoffice , pfd reader and stuff already installed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

So the crowd running the Large Hadron Collider are hobbyists?

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/scientific_linux_is_part_of_the_large_hadron_collider_grid

So the 87.8% of the top 500 supercomputers running Linux are run by hobbyists?

http://www.top500.org/stats/list/31/osfam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

nah. linux is a way of life :)

So the crowd running the Large Hadron Collider are hobbyists?

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/scientific_linux_is_part_of_the_large_hadron_collider_grid

So the 87.8% of the top 500 supercomputers running Linux are run by hobbyists?

http://www.top500.org/stats/list/31/osfam

In the case of seanos2 it is, when someone is taking up an Linux for the first time it is like a hobby, as so much time is spent playing around with it, configuring it, breaking it, reinstalling it etc. I am a linux sys admin and work on Linux servers all day every day... so you do not need to be throwing random statistics around to try and shoot down a comment I made!

Plus this thread is about the linux "desktop" users, and not servers or mega clusters.

• Advertisement

In the case of seanos2 it is, when someone is taking up an Linux for the first time it is like a hobby, as so much time is spent playing around with it, configuring it, breaking it, reinstalling it etc..

Dude, he's bought a machine with Linux pre-installed... what configuring would he need to do?

Sorry if I seemed a bit over-zealous but there's enough people slagging off the Linux out of ignorance.

Sorry if I seemed a bit over-zealous but there's enough people slagging off the Linux out of ignorance

I think you've kind of missed his point there Ted, I don't think he was slagging it...

I think you've kind of missed his point there Ted, I don't think he was slagging it...

The OP "asks is this any use"?
    Reply is "Linux is a hobby".

Linux has enough if an image problem as it is. The guy has bought Linux pre-installed so I assume the usual configuration difficulties are not relevant, therefore I expected the discussion to be about applications, usefulness.

WOW so serious! :D

This was not intended to throw this thread off topic and of course i was not slagging linux off. Mearly stating the fact that there will be challanges ahead if the user is coming from a Windows background, if you are willing to put the time into learning linux and how it works (the same one would do with any "hobby") then the rewards will be worth it in the long run.

WOW so serious! :D

I really believe the GPL and FOSS can make the world a better place. That's why I'm serious.

ehhh... :confused:
    you've all lost me i just wanted to know if it was any use for photo editing or should i just change it to mac or windows, i'm used to using mac!

'Mac' is a computer, you're presumably talking about 'MacOS', which can't be installed on a PC legally, to the best of my knowledge.

The choices are: either spend a bit of time learning about linux, or shell out over €100 for Windows, and even more if you want to use Photoshop.

(Or you could try some other OS, such as FreeBSD, but I'd go for linux)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

It can do it...

I'd be more worried about your netbook being able to run it. Photoshop would murder a netbook, but GIMP is a little more forgiving. Some people have had problems with OEM installs, so you might weant to do it yourself.

Second... don't be afraid to muck around with things. There isn't only Gnome, for one thing.

Look at it this way, seanos... no matter what you do, you never have to worry about product activation on your OS. You never have to worry about randomly deciding it's pirated if you reinstall (XP did that once...) You might also pick up some Terminal skills that'll translate to your Macintosh.

And there's nothing to stop you installing the same OS on your Mac of the disk supplied with your machine.

---

IIRC, Apples EULA requires OSX to be installed on an Apple-Labelled computer. I don't think it specifically mentions that it has to be made by Apple... just labelled Apple. Put an Apple logo on your palmrest and be smug.

You don't have to worry about viruses either - at least for the time being. Hardly anybody running Linux bothers with anti-virus - it's really not an issue.

• Advertisement

i've done a bit of research on it and it seems to be pretty good i'll have the laptop tomorrow and i'll let you all know!
    thanks again everyone! :D

Advertisement