Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politician = Public Sector?

Options
  • 03-02-2009 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure about this, but are politicians Public Sector? And if they are/are not, does the new levy apply to them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Not sure either, but methinks it had better apply to them... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

TDs are 'Public Sector' with their pay levels determined via the Review Body on Higher Remuneration in the Public Sector like most senior civil servants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Fishtits wrote: »
    Not sure either, but methinks it had better apply to them... ;)
    But perhaps not to their expenses and 'secretarial' allowances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Abstar

Well I certainly hope our TDs don't suffer a reduction in their salaries going by Mr O'Donoghue's comments below.... can we afford "poorer quality policitians...."? :P

"02 Feb 2009

Ceann Comhairle says reduced salaries would mean poorer quality politicians

Ceann Comhairle John O'Donoghue says reducing TDs' salaries and expenses would result in poorer quality politicians.
    Speaking exclusively on Radio Kerry's Kerry Today programme, the South Kerry TD says he's already introduced a fairer system for expenses that makes the system more transparent.
    He says although the country may be in an economic crisis, reducing Oireachtas members' salaries and expenses is not the answer.
    Almost two years into his role as Ceann Comhairle, John O'Donoghue admits he misses being a Minister". Source: Radio Kerry News http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/search.php

The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Isn't both their salary and pension paid by the State?

If the public servants in general are going to have to pay this new pension levy then the Politicians should be included as well and only rightly.

• Advertisement

Abstar wrote: »
    Well I certainly hope our TDs don't suffer a reduction in their salaries going by Mr O'Donoghue's comments below.... can we afford "poorer quality policitians...."? :P

Don't think some of them are poor if it has anything to go by this article - some are collecting a pension as well as a salary. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Abstar

Saibh wrote: »
    Don't think some of them are poor if it has anything to go by this article - some are collecting a pension as well as a salary. :)

I think the 'poor' refers to the quality we would get if we suddenly started paying our monkeys politicians in peanuts....

I think the 'poor' refers to the quality we would get if we suddenly started paying our monkeys politicians in peanuts....

Nothing new then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oh well , okay

The new levy will apply to politicians but how bout this little theory I was thinking about earlier ....

Mr Cowan , ministerial colleagues and some high ranking civil servants took a voluntary 10% pay cut late last year however their pension plans are still based on their full earnings . Now they are in the situation ( I reckon ) where they're paying the new levy based on 90% earnings but gaining pensions based on 100% earnings so in effect they themselves will be avoiding the full levy in relation to the pensions they receive .

I could be wrong on all this of course .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

"02 Feb 2009

Ceann Comhairle says reduced salaries would mean poorer quality politicians

Ceann Comhairle John O'Donoghue says reducing TDs' salaries and expenses would result in poorer quality politicians.
    Speaking exclusively on Radio Kerry's Kerry Today programme, the South Kerry TD says he's already introduced a fairer system for expenses that makes the system more transparent.
    He says although the country may be in an economic crisis, reducing Oireachtas members' salaries and expenses is not the answer.
    Almost two years into his role as Ceann Comhairle, John O'Donoghue admits he misses being a Minister". Source: Radio Kerry News http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/search.php

The mind boggles.

That is fantastic. How did he come up that one?

Of course their pay should be cut. I know it's clichéd to harp on about how much politicians get paid, but a pay equally shared is only fair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement