Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LPL, PPL, CPL - where to start?

• 03-02-2009 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi folks.
    Im been an Aerial Camera op now for about a year. Ive always been interested in flying and always hoped to get my Helicopter Pilot Licence. But as time went on, flying around in a Piper Aztec with work, doing aerial photography, planes have got the better of me.

Being in Ireland, we dont get much good weather for flying, but i did manage to clock up 143 hrs in the aircraft - not as the pilot i might add, but as a camera operator/navigator.

The thing is, now im really keen to get the finger out and get on with getting a licence. At the moment, cos the weather is so bad here, im doing a desk job until the flying season starts again. I really cannot wait till i get back in the plane. I love all the strings that are associated with flying. The early starts, learning about the plane, looking out for other aircraft, seeing landscape from the air, listening to all the Comms and would you believe it, getting back on the ground after ive been airsick on the odd occasion.

I would love to become an Airline pilot, though at the moment, the way the economy is, and lack of bank loans etc, it looks even more distant that ever. Im always one for doing the thing today, as tomorrow might not happen. Trouble is, i just dont know where to start. Ive been looking around for sponsorships etc, but thats non-productive!

Is there anyone here can shine some light my direction?

Thanks in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Pigdog

This is probably the best light I can throw your way

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies-14/

There are a few really good 'sticky' posts at the top of the forum that everyone should read before (probably during and after too) starting to become a pilot.

Needless to say, there is NO sponsorship out there. You've got to put the money up yourself, or find it somehow. That makes it a bit of a gamble (gulp!) Finding your first job after spending between 50,000 and 120,000 euro on training can also be extremely difficult. And the pay certainly won't justify the amount you've spent on training.

That being said, there are people out there who do it successfully. And there is no greater feeling on this earth than being in a small aircraft on your own and watching the sun-lit earth falling away from you. Mmmmmm.

I myself intended to get my commercial licence but my circumstances changed to the tune that I had to move and had a serious income cut. Couldn't even think about spending money on flying. And looking back, it's probably the most practical decision that was ever thrust upon me. I'd be finished my training and looking for work with my shiney new licence about the time the downturn hit us all full in the face.

For me, flying is just a hobby I can't afford right now. (I think only hookers are more expensive!! from what I've heard! Ahem!!) but I will get back to it. As a hobby though.

Just make sure you go into it with your eyes more than wide open. (Nobody is going to listen or even care if you can't get a job and can't afford the repayments on your training loan.)

But I really don't want to discourage you. If it's what you want to do, then you have to go for it. Everytime I see a plane go overhead I think about what could have been.

I do have a PPL and that's something that you should consider getting regardless. It's the first step on whatever path you choose. And great fun. With your knowledge already, it should be easy. Damn, it's easy anyway. I honestly believe that the average driver with the right motivation can become a good pilot.

Anyway, whatever you decide make sure it's a decision you can live with. Definitely get a PPL, and enjoy your flying. If you decide to put the money up and go for the training then I really hope it works out for you. I wish you a very happy flying career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bing2385

Pigdog wrote: »
    This is probably the best light I can throw your way

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies-14/

There are a few really good 'sticky' posts at the top of the forum that everyone should read before (probably during and after too) starting to become a pilot.

Needless to say, there is NO sponsorship out there. You've got to put the money up yourself, or find it somehow. That makes it a bit of a gamble (gulp!) Finding your first job after spending between 50,000 and 120,000 euro on training can also be extremely difficult. And the pay certainly won't justify the amount you've spent on training.

That being said, there are people out there who do it successfully. And there is no greater feeling on this earth than being in a small aircraft on your own and watching the sun-lit earth falling away from you. Mmmmmm.

I myself intended to get my commercial licence but my circumstances changed to the tune that I had to move and had a serious income cut. Couldn't even think about spending money on flying. And looking back, it's probably the most practical decision that was ever thrust upon me. I'd be finished my training and looking for work with my shiney new licence about the time the downturn hit us all full in the face.

For me, flying is just a hobby I can't afford right now. (I think only hookers are more expensive!! from what I've heard! Ahem!!) but I will get back to it. As a hobby though.

Just make sure you go into it with your eyes more than wide open. (Nobody is going to listen or even care if you can't get a job and can't afford the repayments on your training loan.)

But I really don't want to discourage you. If it's what you want to do, then you have to go for it. Everytime I see a plane go overhead I think about what could have been.

I do have a PPL and that's something that you should consider getting regardless. It's the first step on whatever path you choose. And great fun. With your knowledge already, it should be easy. Damn, it's easy anyway. I honestly believe that the average driver with the right motivation can become a good pilot.

Anyway, whatever you decide make sure it's a decision you can live with. Definitely get a PPL, and enjoy your flying. If you decide to put the money up and go for the training then I really hope it works out for you. I wish you a very happy flying career.

Pigdog, thanks for your kind words.
    I have my mind firmly set on getting the LPL/PPL to begin with, and maybe by then, we will all be in a better position to know what way this recession is going to play out.

There is a guy i know who completed his flight training, up to a frozen ATPL back in September last year. He has now secured a job with a big airline over here, and is starting in a couple of weeks. Things have definately worked out very well for him indeed!! I was so envious to see all the pics and videos of him during his training appearing on Facebook!

I shall keep you posted on what happens.

Thanks again,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

You should have a chat with some of the Aztec pilots. They must have gone through the same process and will know the ins and outs of the job.

Generally people are recommending a slow gradual approach to training at the moment with this downturn. PPL first, then build hours while doing the exams then following up with the CPL and multi engine Instrument rating. Then you can get work back on the Aztec until Ryanair take you in like your friend.:D

The main thing is the make a decision to start and get your PPL at least.

You should have a chat with some of the Aztec pilots. They must have gone through the same process and will know the ins and outs of the job.

Generally people are recommending a slow gradual approach to training at the moment with this downturn. PPL first, then build hours while doing the exams then following up with the CPL and multi engine Instrument rating. Then you can get work back on the Aztec until Ryanair take you in like your friend.:D

The main thing is the make a decision to start and get your PPL at least.

Yea, I had a chat with our pilot today, and he was saying pretty much the same as yourself, the only difference being that I should head over to USA and do the PPL there. Then when I come back to wet old Ireland, I do a few hours training here, just to get used to what our weather throws at us!

The LPL he said wud be a bit dodgy, as normally by 25hrs of a PPL, you wouldnt want to go out on your own, so dont aim that low! In my own opinion i think that the PPL IS definately the way to go. Id rather lose £6k than £60k to not getting a job afterwards.

The one thing i will have to get properly checked out is my eyesight. Cos im on this desk job at the moment in front of two CRT monitors for 8hrs in a dark room, I feel it isn't doing my eyes any favours!

At my last eye test the Optician said my eye sight was better than 20:20 corrected, though my left eye is my dominant eye.

Dont know if anyone here has had experience with their eyes causing problems obtaining a licence?

Oh and I should have said, if anyone knows when the $ V £ exchange rate will improve, do let me know! LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Pigdog

Just when you mentioned about eyesight there, it made me think. The best advice to anyone starting out is to definitely have your eyes checked properly. 20:20 corrected is no use to you, if they're outside the acceptable range uncorrected. Get it checked.

(In the USA the standard is based on corrected vision, here it's based on uncorrected. I knew a guy who had to wear bottle-ends. Very bad sight. But he got a US PPL, and flew over there on his holidays. There was absolutely no way he could ever get a licence anywhere in Europe. Funnily enough, he could fly here! As long as he was flying a US registered aircraft (N-reg) he was perfectly legal, i think. There may have been more to it than that, but that was my understanding of it.)

In fact, if you're serious about getting a CPL, it is well worth getting a Class 1 medical done now. It'll cost a fair bit (a couple of hundred-ish) but is well worth it. You'll need one anyway and there is nothing worse than forking out for your training and only afterwards realising that your ticker has an irregular tick! And they'll do the eyesight check for you too. I do think it's possible to save a few quid if you get it done in eastern europe, including flights and a bit of a holiday, but you'll need to do your research for the details on that one.

All the best. If you have any other questions, just ask. Either myself, or someone here, will be able to help. Can't help with the exchange rate though... if I knew that one I'd be richer than I am!! :)

Pigdog wrote: »
    Just when you mentioned about eyesight there, it made me think. The best advice to anyone starting out is to definitely have your eyes checked properly. 20:20 corrected is no use to you, if they're outside the acceptable range uncorrected. Get it checked.

(In the USA the standard is based on corrected vision, here it's based on uncorrected. I knew a guy who had to wear bottle-ends. Very bad sight. But he got a US PPL, and flew over there on his holidays. There was absolutely no way he could ever get a licence anywhere in Europe. Funnily enough, he could fly here! As long as he was flying a US registered aircraft (N-reg) he was perfectly legal, i think. There may have been more to it than that, but that was my understanding of it.)

In fact, if you're serious about getting a CPL, it is well worth getting a Class 1 medical done now. It'll cost a fair bit (a couple of hundred-ish) but is well worth it. You'll need one anyway and there is nothing worse than forking out for your training and only afterwards realising that your ticker has an irregular tick! And they'll do the eyesight check for you too. I do think it's possible to save a few quid if you get it done in eastern europe, including flights and a bit of a holiday, but you'll need to do your research for the details on that one.

All the best. If you have any other questions, just ask. Either myself, or someone here, will be able to help. Can't help with the exchange rate though... if I knew that one I'd be richer than I am!! :)

Cheers Pigdog - will be due another eye test once im back on board the plane anyway - just to see if the computer work has done me any damage. I was diagnosed with dry-eye at the start of my 18week (and counting) stint on the computers, but i really hope its nothing more than lack of fluid on the eye. I just wont be happy if its caused deterioration of my sight levels!

fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yep eyetest first man. I am up to about 9 hours of my PPL and failed the class two medical due to my left eye being really shortsighted and allmost useless. I can still enjoy it as a hobby and fly with an instructor or other PPL holder so its not the end of the world, but you must do it if you plan to go commercial.

In New Zealand currently the Dollar has fallen to 0.39 to a Euro. An hours lesson at Wellington International will set you back 70 Euros. Perfect flying weather 80% of the time. There are commercial schools in Christchurch and Hamilton that will get you to airline employable levels for FAR less then Ireland or maybe the US.

Also check out South Africa or Australia though their currencies are way stronger. If you have Euros to spend, NZ is the place :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Hi bing2385
    As some of the other posts said the medical should be done first it costs 600 euro there is only one place to do this mater private.

its well worth the money as they will pick up on any thing out of place hence why im wearing glasses for the first time im 33 now.

you can also get your PPL A in florida for about 7000 euro including flights and accomadation from ireland and the licence is a UK JAA regonised through out europe.

any futher Questions just shout

Advertisement