Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MWg Zinc II phone?

• 03-02-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Phone is here http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=161302 for 250euro. It seems like a good phone. The only downfall I see is the camera. I'm coming from an N95 phone. I like the idea of a windows phone. I've had one before from Asus the p535 or something, but that didn't last long with me as I found it a pain texting people.

Anyone have any experiences with this phone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Seems alright.
    I think it generally gets solid reviews. Good processor. Only nag I'd have is the 64mb ram which isn't much for a wm device these days, but if used wisely it'll do!
    I've read reviews saying it's better than the HTC tytn (they just lack htc's marketing force)...
    I used a tytn for a while, so I can't say I like that kind of slide-out keyboard...I prefer a decent front-facing keyboard (especially when that screen's only 2.8'' - a bit fiddly for text entry on the go imho)...

But to answer your question: No! Have no experience with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Hey Strecker, thanks for taking the time out to reply. I've been looking on review sites and you have pretty much covered all the points, although I didn't read that its better than the tytn, thats cool. Shame about the RAM, but I would be frugal with my application usage; ie I wouldn't have more than 1 open at a time.

Sniipe wrote: »
    Hey Strecker, thanks for taking the time out to reply. I've been looking on review sites and you have pretty much covered all the points, although I didn't read that its better than the tytn, thats cool. Shame about the RAM, but I would be frugal with my application usage; ie I wouldn't have more than 1 open at a time.

Yeah, used smartly, 64mb is alright!
    I still use a treo 750v now and again, and have no probs.
    Plus, with a little apps like pBar or some other 'taskmanager' that ensures 'x' really closes an app, things are a lot smoother!

If you go for it, make sure to report back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Sniipe, is the cost of it a budget thing or is it just that you like it?

Cause if you are willing to spend more and wait a month or so I would recommend the Nokia N97

Sniipe, is the cost of it a budget thing or is it just that you like it?

Cause if you are willing to spend more and wait a month or so I would recommend the Nokia N97
    yeah, well:
    and wait 7 months and get toshiba's snapdragon controlled TG01... wait 9 months and get the n99... iphone '3'...
    always sth better on the horizon!

The advantage of winmo is that there are good ways to sort of stay up to date with rom-updates, a gigantic 3rd-party apps catalogue, registry tweaks, new UI- replacements etc etc

I'm unfortunately always pretty up-to-date phonewise (iphone, e71, treo pro, aus p550 :eek: :rolleyes:), yet, ever so often I use my old treo 750, and cam aside, even when not using it for 6 months or so, I usually just spend a couple of hours getting new apps, updating others, and it's doing the 'job' just fine, and it's definitely sturdier, more stable and reliable than many of today's hotshot-models that treat us as guinea pigs for firmware-experiments!
    what I'm saying is: that zinc is a tried and tested model, with a good version of wm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Cheers for the input Dara, yea budget is the issue at hand. Plus I'm not terribly fond of the Nokia phones, I've either had that or a sony ericsson. I'm a programmer also so the windows OS appeals to me, who knows I may develop an application or two for it.

I've never tried the iphone, looks good, but doesn't tie in as easily as a windows phone would to my lifestyle. I had the Asus P535, but sold it after a short while for the N95. I couldn't get around the whole no keys aspect of it. I've it on order, or so I think. I'll report back when I've tried it a bit.

[edit] Forgot to ask, what did u make of the Asus P550? [/edit]

Advertisement