Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Website help.

Options
  • 03-02-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Ok, not sure if this in the write forum or not, but anyways..
    Im in the process of building a basic Html website for a school competition and it has to be in in 2 weeks. Now, I don't no that much about Html code, I know most of the basic but I'm a quick learner for it as I'm interested in it.

I've the about two pages so far, but thats taken about a month (other work main reason). Basically, I'm using a downloaded template, which Im editing on Notepad but I will need to swich to a differetn template as the 1st one didn't fit the purpose (Damn teachers :D) So, what would be a quick way to switch from one template to another without having to rewrite the content?

Thanks
    ~kwl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi KWL,

You've come across quite a common problem (not just in web design) that your data and presentation are mixed together.

Cascading Style Sheets are supposed to help with this, allowing you to separate the presentation and data. From memory DIV Tags in the HTML, and specific their location in the CSS file.

You are currently working with Static HTML pages(/files), even with your basic knowledge you could move to Dynamic HTML pages. Going with dynamic pages, say in PHP, allows you to separate out the various parts of your site into different files.

If you are sticking with static HTML pages(/files) get a "What you see is what you get" editor. This will generate the HTML file, based on your design.

Kwl wrote: »
    Im in the process of building a basic Html website for a school competition and it has to be in in 2 weeks. Now, I don't no that much about Html code, I know most of the basic but I'm a quick learner for it as I'm interested in it.

I've the about two pages so far, but thats taken about a month (other work main reason). Basically, I'm using a downloaded template, which Im editing on Notepad but I will need to swich to a differetn template as the 1st one didn't fit the purpose (Damn teachers :D) So, what would be a quick way to switch from one template to another without having to rewrite the content?

Thanks
    ~kwl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Thanks
    ~kwl
    There's this thing called a clipboard. The best way of imagining it is as a virtual clipboard. You can copy bits of text to that clip board. You can then past things from that clip board to something else.

Copy and paste your content in to the new website template.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Anything you need, your bound to find it here

http://www.w3schools.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Ass wrote: »
    There's this thing called a clipboard. The best way of imagining it is as a virtual clipboard. You can copy bits of text to that clip board. You can then past things from that clip board to something else.

How patronising.

You could copy&paste but if you're not too familiar with HTML concepts you could end up copying <div>'s etc without closing tags and messing up the template. If you have dreamweaver or another visual editor you can open the two templates in design mode and copy and paste the parts you want.

Using notepad is just bad. If you have no other editor try Notepad++, it's free and colours your code properly. Also, get firebug and web developer plugin for firefox, they're brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

slightly off topic,

firebug has saved my ass 100's of times when it came AJAX and IE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Kwl

Ass wrote: »

I've tried copy & pasting, but as I'm only using notepad, its far to difficult to keep track of whats new in my document and I've made a mess of it while trying that already.
    grasshopa wrote: »

Using notepad is just bad. If you have no other editor try Notepad++, it's free and colours your code properly. Also, get firebug and web developer plugin for firefox, they're brilliant

Could you give me a link to Notepad++?
    I should be able to find the other two on add-ons for Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Editplus would be a notepad++ alternative.

I'm going to move this over to the Web Development and Design forum, you'll probably get a bigger response over there.

Could you give me a link to Notepad++?
    I should be able to find the other two on add-ons for Firefox.

srsly..... http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=notepad%2B%2B

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kwl

grasshopa wrote: »

Er, thanks.... I think?

You're welcome

• Advertisement
Advertisement