Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever contributed anything to wikipedia?

• 03-02-2009 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭

This evening I was bored and was on Christian Bale's wikipedia page here, and found part of the page to be like this. I took a screenshot of the page as wikipedia is usually edited rather quickly.

Has anyone ever bothered to create or add anything to a wikipedia page, and if so, what?

In it's early days, I edited the Iron Maiden page due to it having no mention of guitarist Dave Murray, and once corrected the link to the official website of some software company (cant remember who). Aside from that, I've never bothered doing anything else

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes. They mentioned my town but had properties named in the wrong place streets and corrected them on spellings.
    Basic stuff that locals to each, would spot easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

yes i edited a few pages for my town also but got in a row with some tool who kept putting in the wrong info - then a few others were dragged in to it before we settled down. I was bored too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Yes... Dave McSavages page got my attention a few times :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I wrote an entry on the Toilet Bong. It was a perfectly valid topic and some bástard wikitard deleted it.

(for anyone interested, yes the Toilet Bong is indeed a real type of gravity bong and no, its not anywhere near as disgusting as it sounds)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You gotta love that toilet bong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

slideways wrote: »

Some good stuff up there at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

/Wipes tear away.

I miss *that* thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I messed with Steve Staunton's page when he get on my nerves once, and also Steve Coogan's.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well duuuh, I'm a knowitall who doesn't, so of course I have.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I did a spot of Wikivandalism recently to win a game of 5 links to Hitler:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58757334&postcount=21 :o

Yeah I have, have a handful of photos on there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Yep, just updated some equipment information on a musicians page. Some cnut changed it back the next day even though it was right. :rolleyes:

I fixed it again and it's fine now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

Have vandalised a page once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Problem with wikipedia is that opening it to anyone means it inevitably sinks to the lowest common denominator, and when you're talking POWER CRAZED INTERNET NERDS!!!! that's pretty bloody low.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Yes I do alot of Wiki vandalism, mainly to keep myself amused.
    My most recent was for a thread here yesterday (attatched)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

This evening I was bored and was on Christian Bale's wikipedia page here, and found part of the page to be like this. I took a screenshot of the page as wikipedia is usually edited rather quickly.
    You heard his rant on the radio this morning too?
    Pure gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I put my friend Aidan on Wiki and called him a child molestor. Still up there but I'm not going to link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Changed a few sports pages here and there and fixed a few vandalised pages about living people i'd rather not see abused. Otherwise very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

As I came across this story in the Times today it reminded me of some vandalism I found to the entry for Chris Tarrant the other day.

I personally think the greatest 'additions' are the ones that are just a small step above total nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i just edit the ones where people have ireland as part of the uk

A couple of photos I uploaded have been reused in other articles, one such example being the 2009 Bank of Ireland robbery. Can't complain, my work is being put to some use. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Slidey wrote: »
    Same here, as well as the pages for Ryan Turbidy, Gerry Ryan, Plank Kenny and Steve Staunton. Those tossers must be reversing the edits themselves because they disappear quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fingerbob

Edited my town's sport section describing how darts exploded onto the scene in the 90's as a joke (kind of in joke within my circle of friends) and it was mentioned in the next week's edition of the district newspaper, was amazed when I seen it, edited it in between watching episodes of peep show.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've thought about editing Wikipedia the odd time, but Weird Al's "White 'n' Nerdy" put me off :pac:

I'd love to be mentioned on the Bike though, if anybody's bored enough :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Never done it while sober.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Wikipedia is written by saps and nerds. I present to you Mr. Ben Schumin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Schuminweb

He is but one of many thousands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've done a sections on Deep Purple, Mercedes Benz w201, Irish Pirate radio, Jason King and a few others and the ocassional fact fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I contributed to wikipedia but then it kept saying my ip was violating the following sites. I used put in info like Rathkeale is the town of travellers. It has many amazing sites like the caravan park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

A few bits and bobs here and there, mainly science and sports.

Once I looked up the word scanger and there was a load of text and a picture with the caption 'Two typical Dublin scangers on a night out'. Only then did I realise it was two of my best mates! I told them going to that Slappers and Rappers party was a bad idea :rolleyes:

It only stayed up for about 3 days but man you gotta love the universal editing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most of the page on Irish tunnels is by me. I've done quite a few corrections to typos and rephrasings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I added to the profile of Moe from The Simpsons :) (info about his heritage and religions).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

I've fixed grammar and spellings on a few random pages before, but I've never vandalised or actually added anything to any of the pages. I had a year long IP ban that I have no idea what I did to deserve so I don't go near the stupid thing anymore. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yes when obvious errors/omissions drove me crayzzeeeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭b28

I never have, but I love wikipedia... its an excellent source.
    But how reliable is the content?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

ScabbyLeg wrote: »
    As I came across this story in the Times today it reminded me of some vandalism I found to the entry for Chris Tarrant the other day.

I personally think the greatest 'additions' are the ones that are just a small step above total nonsense.

The student's version of it in today's Irish Times: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0507/1224246059241.html

Advertisement