Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow speeds with BT tonight ??

Options
  • 03-02-2009 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Anyone experiencing slow speeds with BT tonight ?

I've an 7.6MB connection and this is all I can get out of it, download speeds won't go any higher than 50kb/s

403786130.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Not too bad here, syncing at 8217 up and 571 down..

403792029.png

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Yes you're not the only one. I have the pelletstown exchange and things are the same with my 7.6mb connection, can't get higher download speeds than around 80kb/s. It used to be 800kb/s :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055476471

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

kleefarr wrote: »
    Not too bad here

You're ping is pretty awful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

My sync is the same as always, 7616 Kbps up & 672 Kbps down, NM & LA dB are the same as always too, ping is usually 20 - 40ms and I'm not over my cap either :confused:

JoeyD wrote: »
    Yes you're not the only one. I have the pelletstown exchange and things are the same with my 7.6mb connection, can't get higher download speeds than around 80kb/s. It used to be 800kb/s :(

Maybe it's the weather.
    JoeyD wrote: »
    You're ping is pretty awful
    Even at 68ms my speeds were fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

Dont complain, I never get more than 200 kb/s on BT. I have just installed eircom on another line and am getting 3 Meg. BT support - WOEFUL!!!

ken90 wrote: »
    BT support - WOEFUL!!!
    I've always found them very helpful.

Near enough back to normal by the looks of it, probably the weather.

403849396.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

my bt broadband is down at the moment. I'm using 3g mobile phone as a backup. Anyone know what the story is??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Jesus H. Christ when will BT fix this problem?:mad: Almost a week now, their customer service is a joke too. After pressing nearly every goddamn number on the phone this asian guy just told me to take off the filter and give it another go. Did that, it worked for about 3 minutes and now its ****ed again. :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Speeds are gone again, couldn't even use the net at all yesterday it was that slow.

409837141.png

409837699.png

409839833.png

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

i read in one of the threads here that bt arent happy with the market share tehy have and want to pull out.... could the **** net and this be connected, log in next time, disgruntled bt customers, same url , same protocal!

kaahooters wrote: »
    i read in one of the threads here that bt arent happy with the market share tehy have and want to pull out.... could the **** net and this be connected, log in next time, disgruntled bt customers, same url , same protocal!
    Ah great :rolleyes:, well i'm not going back to Eircom, you have a link for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Not great here either....

Downstream Rate: 7687 Kbps
    Upstream Rate: 507 Kbps

Dublin
    409843926.png

Limerick
    409845316.png

Galway
    409846852.png

Network trace shows where it fails again.

Why is my network trace showing Los Angeles :confused:

93393769li7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

there it si, alrdy linked by somone better than i

Just seen this on TimesOnline
    BT’s profits fell by 80 per cent in the third quarter to £113 million, with Global Services making an operating loss of £501 million. Last month the group was forced to take a £336 million write-down after admitting that executives had overstated profits of the division.

article here:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article5720981.ece

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I am getting atrocious download speeds at the moment, and while sites like boards.ie are fast - US based sites are very slow to load!!!!

This has been occurring at weekends on and off for weeks now, its a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Boots2006

We've been having very on and off BT broadband since Dec08. It was off for most of the xmas hols. It would be mega slow one evening (as in way slower than dialup), effectively cut off. It would be normal speed (2 Mb) other nights - I could get around 180 kb/s download speed on a good night. I was on to them over the past few weeks, and they eventually found and fixed a line fault. Or so I thought, until it went off again all day yesterday.

Question is: would we be better off with EIRCOM or UTV internet? Or is it a line / contention / exchane issue, and not BTs fault?
    We're on the Malahide exchange, and I think we're stuck with the landline ADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Why is my network trace showing Los Angeles :confused:

93393769li7.jpg

Thats because the website you are using (easynews.com) are doing a trace route from their connection to your IP address.

If you wanted to test your connection, you would be better off opening a command prompt in windows, terminal in unix or network utility in OSX.

Then run a trace route from your connection to somewhere a little closer to home such as www.rte.ie, www.bbc.co.uk or your primary DNS. Think it is 192.111.39.1 for BT.

This should get you a more acurate result.

• Advertisement
Advertisement