Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics,Chemistry,Biology

Options
  • 03-02-2009 11:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

anyone else doing the three for the L.C

Comments

Is there a purpose to this thread?

And, no. I'm only doing two of them - physics and chemistry. But, I also do applied maths, which is as much of a science subject as physics is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

ye there is a purpose. to see if im like the only one on this board which i believe i am

A thread for self-confirmation? That's a first.

But, I doubt you are the only person: I know of a few people who do all three, so, there's more than likely a few here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You are not a unique snowflake :)

I do all 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waheyyy

i do all 3 AND applied maths. game set match muahaha

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    You are not a unique snowflake :)

I do all 3.

damn. :pac::pac: how you getting on studywise for them mate?

waheyyy wrote: »
    i do all 3 AND applied maths. game set match muahaha

how you finding the study for them? pain in the behind isnt it?

celtic723 wrote: »
    damn. :pac::pac: how you getting on studywise for them mate?

Grand, sciences arent exactly the most labour intensive subjects.

Fad wrote: »
    Grand, sciences arent exactly the most labour intensive subjects.

maybe not but i find there is alot to cover especially when you leave it to the last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

You must like science :P

• Advertisement

celtic723 wrote: »
    maybe not but i find there is alot to cover especially when you leave it to the last minute

Then maybe you shouldnt have left them to the last minute?:pac:

creggy wrote: »
    You must like science :P

nah not really:pac::pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I hate physics.

Im one of those biology/ chemistry heads who is in the middle of a chemistry class which is full of chemistry/ physics students. Hahaha I love the conflicting interests between myself and the rest of the class. We just did chromatography last week and I found it amazing while the rest of the class hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

doing all 3 too :pac: i think it helps though because some of the stuff comes up in each of them (carbon/nitrogen cycle in chem + bio, atoms in chem + phys, diffusion definition in all 3, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I do all 3 and applied maths as well.

I like them all except biology which has some interesting parts but the rest is just tedious learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

I do all three and applied maths.

In order of enjoyment, interest, etc.:

1. Applied maths - My favorite subject. Never any study required. A great subject for anyone who wants to solve problems that require YOUR intelligence instead of a capacity to recite like a parrot. And the class really is a great laugh.

2. Chemistry - Once again, a great subject. Easy enough. I have a brilliant teacher who, although she marks tests extremely hard, still manages to make the subject enjoyable. The maths in chemistry is friggan retarded. Really like, 1st year stuff........

3. Biology - Dumbed down and often lacks detail. Still, I think, quite the fun subject. The practicals are great. It's basically a subject where most things can be explained diagrammatically, which is good. The subject would be far better, though, were it more detailed.

4. Physics - I hate it. Requires hardly any thought. Basically, they took the interesting parts of AM, managed to remove all the interesting aspects from these respective parts, and slapped them down as "physics". Our teacher told us at the start of the year that almost the whole course was a complete lie, so......... I mean, how can they have NO calculus in it? :eek:

Overall I wouldn't pick any other subject combination.

However, I'd make all the subjects more detailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

4. Physics - I hate it. Requires hardly any thought. Basically, they took the interesting parts of AM, managed to remove all the interesting aspects from these respective parts, and slapped them down as "physics". Our teacher told us at the start of the year that almost the whole course was a complete lie, so......... I mean, how can they have NO calculus in it? :eek:
    Actually, Faraday's Law is given in calculus-spek at one point. That's it, though. Don't actually use that expression of it ever. Calculus? Lord no!
    The physics course is a sham. It's not exactly WRONG, though. Just simplified to the point where you have to relearn everything anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Actually, Faraday's Law is given in calculus-spek at one point. That's it, though. Don't actually use that expression of it ever. Calculus? Lord no!
    The physics course is a sham. It's not exactly WRONG, though. Just simplified to the point where you have to relearn everything anyway.

chemistry is that way too i believe, except for the organic stuff. I would never put any calculus into physics, i cant stand the calculations as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

being broad saying this but this is a PUBLIC message board, people can put whatever threads they want regardless of length and as long as it's adhering to rules etc.

I'm sick of people leaving snotty "what is the purpose of this Thread's?" like if you don't want any threads then privatise the fricking site!!!

*SCOFF*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Dubs wrote: »
    chemistry is that way too i believe, except for the organic stuff. I would never put any calculus into physics, i cant stand the calculations as it is
    Physics becomes almost impossible without calculus about 2 seconds in to a university degree.

• Advertisement

Relax there damienricefan, relax. It'll be ok, it'll all be ok. If you don't like my comment, don't look at it. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I do Biology and Chemistry.

Would have loved to do physics, I loved it at JC level. But alas, my school didn't offer it. I was going to pick it up this year instead of Geography, but it seemed a bit like too much effort. As for Applied maths? I was going to take that outside of school. But again, it seemed like a bit too much effort and, quite frankly, I'm lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I do Physics, Biology and applied maths. Isn't it funny how applied maths sounds like it should be harder than pure maths but is pretty damn short and mostly grand? Hate projectiles though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

DID 3 sciences,2 maths in LC. all i can say is,get a good physics/maths teacher then you are sorted.with some hardwork of course.plus some science orientated brain?less emo etc would help too :P

that said,me friend did the exact same thing(total of 7 subjects tho) last time,got in medicine in the end,not that hard i suppose:)

Advertisement