Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in/near trim

Options
  • 04-02-2009 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Apologies if i'm repeating previous posts. I'm wondering about gym prices in and around the Trim areas.i'm particularly interested in knightsbrook as it's pretty close. Also which is the best gym to join? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Are you aware of the new council gym and pool opening soon (aprrox 2 weeks) in Trim. It will be run by Aura who also run the one in Navan. It would be cheaper than the other gyms. You can pay as you go as well. I have a 3 months membership in Navan and its around 50 per month. There is an article about it in this weeks Meath Chronicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Leisure complex and pool opening 16th of Feb:

- 25m pool

- gym

- sauna

- steam room

- sports hall

- 2 all-weather pitches

• Registered Users Posts: 8 marron_

there's one in knightsbrook hotel but its exspensive. there isn't that much equipment either. the pool isn't huge. 14 or 17m. i dont know much about the new council place but i'd say its a better option :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭annon123

Thanks a million. I must check out that gym so. I never heard a bit about it. Moving home now in couple of weeks so that will be perfect timing :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Archeron

I've been in the one opening in Trim and it looks like its gonna be a very nice place. Lovely looking pool, very well kitted out with cardio machines and nice and modern and loads of parking. Not sure of fees as they couldnt confirm that yet, but there's an open day on later in the month, the 21st I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Archeron

Well, was in the new one in Trim, and they are looking for €500 a year membership (€560 if you pay by direct debit).
    I think thats waaaayyyy too dear because although its nice, its not exactly huge, and there seems to be little in it to justify that price.

I said to they guy in there that it seemed a bit expensive to see if they were in a bargaining mood, but his justification was "its cheaper than Knightsbrook" and there was no room for movement on price (apart from the €50 off if you join before March opening offer if anyone is interested in joining)

Considering Knightsbrook is a 4 star hotel, being cheaper than them is hardly something to sing about.

Shame, I was hoping to join, but it looks like I'll continue with laps around the garden instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PLM

I joined the new trim gym complex yesterday, i thought it was excellent value! a familly membership for €850! considering ALL the classes are in the price are included - Knightsbrook costs €750 per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

There isn't a whole lot in Knightsbrook to justify its prices either, I think they just took advantage of a local monopoly while there was no alternative and their prices will most likely come down with the opening of the Aura complex.

Knightsbrook offers a pretty small (<15m) pool and hot tub with a claustrophobic equipment room, for 750e a head. I say claustrophobic because the treadmills and bikes were on top of one another the last time I was in it.

Aura offers a 25m pool and equipment room for less than 500 per head per annum, less than 10 quid a week, if you're going to be using it even once a week, never mind twice or more, there's really not much wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

marron_ wrote: »
    there's one in knightsbrook hotel but its exspensive. there isn't that much equipment either. the pool isn't huge. 14 or 17m. i dont know much about the new council place but i'd say its a better option :)

I was a member in knightsbrook and have tried out the new Aura one and to be honest the Knightsbrook gym is better overall. It is not true to say that there is not much equipment there - there is a wide range of equipment. I would agree that the pool is small and that the Aura pool is bigger and better but I mostly go to the gym with the pool etc as an extra so I am ok with the size. If you do plan to attend classes the classes in Knightsbrook are excellent, classes though are not for everyone.
    When I went to the new Aura gym I found it more difficult to get on some of the equipment and the showers were COLD. This could be teething problems. Based on that there is no way I am going to join Aura initially, I will let it settle down and try it on and off to see what it is like the times that I go to the gym.
    I would advise you to try both out and speak to the people running them regarding costs etc. Competition is there and you should get the best overall deal for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 alscrxangels

The new sports and leisure centre in Trim is a good overall facility at a good price. They price match their memberships locally but are also governed on their admission fees by the Trim Council. They don't offer bargaining on membership price unless you can get a group together and then the main guy there Adrian is there to do deals. All other gyms in the area are small, I've checked them all out but some people prefer smaller training areas instead of the big open one in Trim. The staff there are well motivated to keep you going and keep an eye on your progress. They even come out and help you out when you're at your work out.

The price is not too bad if you utilise the classes they run and there's a big cost saving there from doing them seperately. If you're a serious weights person the new place probably isn't the place for you but for overall choice I'd have to give it to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement