Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Extreme Metal Programme

• 04-02-2009 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Ok, Im putting together a new programme for a Scottish radio station which is going to feature Extreme Heavy Metal music, and I need your help here at Boards.ie

Basically, you will be able to listen to the programme through the webstream if you wish - more on that later - and we will be setting up MySpace, Facebook and possibly a full blown website dedicated to the programme

What I'd like from you guys, if you can, is to tell me what the phrase Extreme Heavy Metal means to you - more specifically what kind of artists would you expect to hear on that show?

Also, would you consider it to be exclusive, or would you consider branching into the occassional Machine Head or Alice In Chains song "jumping the shark?" - would Trash Metal and even Experimental Metal like Gothic Metal, Folk Acoustic Metal and Viking Metal be tolerated - or should it all be Black Metal/Extreme Metal? I obviously cant play mainstream Metallica but could I get away with playing 'Escape' or 'Phantom Lord' for the Trash Metal heads?

Id apprichate any advice or help any fans of the genre have on how the playlist should look and what kind of music you would expect to hear played and maybe what you wouldnt expect to hear played?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Get recordings of John Kennys metal show that was on 2fm a number of years ago.He played anything from Stone Temple Pilots to Cannibal Corpse to Kerbdog to Pungent Stench.Listen to his old shows,he didnt need anything to sell it,just good music.My 1 piece of advice would be get a record store to give you their top ten every week like Kenny did with the Sound Cellar.Cheap exposure for them and quality music every week for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Get recordings of John Kennys metal show that was on 2fm a number of years ago.He played anything from Stone Temple Pilots to Cannibal Corpse to Kerbdog to Pungent Stench.Listen to his old shows,he didnt need anything to sell it,just good music.My 1 piece of advice would be get a record store to give you their top ten every week like Kenny did with the Sound Cellar.Cheap exposure for them and quality music every week for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I think that Metallica should only be included by way of their influence on metal i.e Kill em All. This album brought metal a step farther from the likes of Maiden, Priest, AC/DC etc that was popular at the time. Metallica, Anthrax and Megadeth certainly proved that more extreme music could also have mainstream success. These bands spawned a massive ammount of thrash bands throughout the 80s and some punk bands took influence from their style and then hardcore was born.
    Metal became heavier from them on but it was bands like Slayer Venom Possessed that took it to the next level i.e extreme.
    Following on from that you would have to look at the grindcore element like Napalm Death and Carcass that brought in really fast, short songs with guttural singing. I suppose Godflesh and some of that more industrial wave also added another element to it.
    Extreme metal really took of from the Morrisound studio in Florida in the late 80s. Death metal produced by bands like Death, Obituary, Morbid Angel suddenly became very popular. Added to this Sepultura had massive appeal and success with Beneath the Remains and this dragged death into the limelight.
    In Europe bands like Kreator, Celtic Frost, Bathory and Pestilence had been doing their thing since the mid 80s and had taken thrash to a new level in speed and uncompromising vocals. Earache records really became the home of extreme music and a look through their discography during the late 80s would give you a fantastic base of material.http://www.earache.com/. Other sub genres were soon born like brutal death -Suffocation, Brutal Truth, doom -Cathedral , late Entombed, technical death - Atheist, melodic death, black metal.
    Stateside bands like Deicide, Cannibal Corpse and Autopsy pushed the envelope in terms of lyrical content and artwork on merchandise and sleeves. John Zorn and Naked City really took thrash and death to a new level when mixed to jazz and cartoon like jingles and certainly expanded the possibilities of where music could go. In the 90s the Scandanavian Black metal movement exploded TBH I know nothing about this kind of music as my tastes at that point moved away from metal until the past few years.
    This was the foundation of extreme metal as I understand it. Certainly bands like Alice in Chains have no place in any show regarding to this kind of music!

Advertisement