Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PL tv rights 2010 to 2013

• 04-02-2009 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭

I see sky sports have been awarded 4 out of 6 packages

and the other 2 are going up for auction afaik

i think sky can only go for 1 more

I cant stand setanta anymore

even tho ill have to put up with ****ing jamie redknapp

so i wonder will setanta have a rival for those package besides sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ESPN are rumoured to be in talks to rival Setanta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I see sky sports have been awarded 4 out of 6 packages

and the other 2 are going up for auction afaik

i think sky can only go for 1 more

I cant stand setanta anymore

even tho ill have to put up with ****ing jamie redknapp

so i wonder will setanta have a rival for those package besides sky

Link ?

EDIT: FOUND IT

Premier League live on Sky
    BSkyB awarded four live packages for 2010 to 2013
    Last updated: 3rd February 2009

Premier League: Live on BSkyB

BSkyB have been awarded four out of the six packages for live UK rights for Premier League games from 2010 to 2013.

Sky Sports has broadcast live Premier League action to a growing army of supporters since the competition's inception in 1992.

Every Premier League match on Sky Sports is now screened in High Definition to further enhance the viewing experience.

The Premier League announced on Tuesday night that BSkyB will retain the same proportion of audio-visual rights that they have held since 2006.

The two remaining packages will go to a second round of bidding "in due course".

Numerous memorable Premier League matches have been shown live on Sky Sports, including Liverpool's unforgettable 4-3 victory over Newcastle United at Anfield back in the closing stages of the 1995/96 season.

This season has already seen several vital encounters between the title-chasers, with Liverpool's victory over Chelsea live on Sky Sports last Sunday.

This weekend sees the North London derby between Tottenham and Arsenal at White Hart Lane, live on Sky Sports 1 and HD1, when Robbie Keane could come up against Andrey Arshavin.

I am quite happy Sky have retained coverage as nobody else has the resources financially to put into presenting the games. We all know Setanta coverage is woeful so I am quite pleased. It also means we dont have to pay another company. Hopefully Sky win a 5th package and Kill Setanta off. I would like to see the BBC/ITV combine and buy the last two packages then no more fees to Setanta yippee !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Why not have a whip-round on this forum, and buy the rights?

I'd rather Sky have them. I know a monopoly isn't a good thing, but I can't afford Setanta as well as Sky.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It's good for me and my SkyHD box anyway, get more tasty use out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

God bless the Internet + Broadband.

Here's the newspaper division of Murdoch inc. talking about the Pay TV divisions success.
    English football’s television rights bonanza was in full swing last night as Sky paid more than £1 billion to secure its grip as the main Premier League broadcaster. The company has kept its hold on the majority of live games, 92 out of the 138 matches available, by retaining its four existing packages.

With the Premier League going to a second round on the other two outstanding packages, an auction thought to involve Sky, Setanta and ESPN, the 20 clubs will be hoping to exceed the £1.7 billion from the 2007-10 deal and set a record.

The bids arrived yesterday at the League’s legal offices and Sky, the satellite broadcaster that is 39.1 per cent owned by News Corporation, parent company of The Times, ensured that it would not lose its dominant position by keeping the premium slots, including the Sunday 4pm kick-off.

Although the Premier League declined to comment, sources disclosed that Sky had kept its four packages. No figures are known, but it is believed that the company will have paid close to the present £1.314 billion.
    Related Links

* Clubs bank on boom as world goes bust

* Setanta to broadcast Premier League

* Sale pitch, then Setanta calls off the game

Only once in the League’s history have domestic live rights failed to rise, in 2004, when they dipped from £1.1 billion to £1.024 billion, and there was a huge leap three years later.

The clubs certainly set about the January transfer window as though confident that the revenues would not drop away. Barclays Premier League clubs spent a record £160 million, defying the credit crunch that has afflicted so many businesses. While Arab wealth at Manchester City accounted for some of that spending, it is the television income that underpins the League’s finances.

Under European Union regulations, Sky is entitled to own five out of the six packages, and with ESPN, the Disney-owned broadcasting giant, joining the bidding — and Setanta desperate to keep the two packages it bought for £392 million last time — there will be a further round of bids.

The process is kept so secretive that none of the companies knows who it is bidding against, or how many rivals are involved. Sky was always expected to step up to the plate for the 2010-13 rights. Half-year results announced last week showed operating profits up 31 per cent to £385 million.

Broadcasters remain confident in the strength of the Premier League to attract subscribers. Money from the television companies has attracted some of the world’s leading stars and two English clubs, Manchester United and Chelsea, contested the Champions League final last May. It is the most popular league in the world and, having recently missed out on the rights for German football, ESPN is known to have set about securing a significant presence in Europe by winning Premier League rights.

Club chairmen will receive an update when they gather in London tomorrow. They will be relieved to know that the majority of the money has already been banked. On top of Sky’s input, the league has also sealed a deal with BBC for the 2010-13 highlights package for £173 million, slightly above the existing cost.

Setanta will be the most anxious of the bidders, having established itself in the market through its Premier League rights.

More than £5 billion has been ploughed into the English game by the television companies since the formation of the Premier League and Sky’s initial £304 million investment. From the strength of the bidding yesterday, it seems as mutually beneficial a relationship as the day it started.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article5655101.ece

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I like the way it is at the moment with sky hd and setanta

If ESPN come in we'll probably lose the Saturday at 3pm matches we get, i like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

If sky get the 5th package, you can expect a tasty bump in ur sports package subscription i'd imagine, or they will revert back to the Prem Plus £50 for 50 games (at the start of the season). Competition can only be heathy, hope ESPN put the sh1ts up Setanta, although i can't honestly imagine thier coverage being any better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fenix wrote: »
    If sky get the 5th package, you can expect a tasty bump in ur sports package subscription i'd imagine, or they will revert back to the Prem Plus £50 for 50 games (at the start of the season). Competition can only be heathy, hope ESPN put the sh1ts up Setanta, although i can't honestly imagine thier coverage being any better...

I disagree - it has become massively more expensive to watch football legally with Setanta getting games last time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

The setanta thing for us was terrible. We would have to pay way more to watch games and some of those games would be realy good ones.

The prem plus thing used to be more games like everton v tottenham which I would happily miss and save 10 quid.

With setanta you miss out on nearly all the liverpool games as well as some crackers. Good ridance to Setanta is what I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Tom65 wrote: »

We might be able to afford the foreign rights.

I'd feel alot better paying my tv license if we got rid of such gems like Fair City, Eastenders, Cornation street, most of whats on rte actually just to show maybe one game a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

If ESPN get the rights ...........

"what an offensive play towards the goal by the midfield quarter back" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    If ESPN get the rights ...........

"what an offensive play towards the goal by the midfield quarter back" :D

Was watching some mls game one day...."ouuu that pk is just off the 90"

ESPN have been rumoured to be considering buying Setanta for over a year now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

Tom65 wrote: »

I'd rather Sky have them. I know a monopoly isn't a good thing, but I can't afford Setanta as well as Sky.

I think the EU f^&ked this up. Instead of paying for 1 pay tv channel now you must pay for 2. If they wanted to stop a monopoly they could have insisted that one package had to be on terrestial tv.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I think the EU f^&ked this up. Instead of paying for 1 pay tv channel now you must pay for 2. If they wanted to stop a monopoly they could have insisted that one package had to be on terrestial tv.

Actually if they truly wanted to break the monopoly, they would have insisted that after the package of matches is drawn up, the entire lot of matches is sold to at least 2 bidders. That way you have two companies offering the same product, and you get to pick which one you want to pay for. Broadcasters would have no choice then but to go cut throat on pricing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Setanta all the way, can sky even show 3pm games?

Setanta only show 3pm to Ireland the brothers in the UK dont get them games !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I just hope Setanta and Craig Burley go away very fast, i dont know whos worse him or Redknapp!

I think the Prem + wasnt a bad idea, because everynow and again you might pay to the watch the match instead of havimg to subscribe to both sky and setanta :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I hope it's the end of setanta. I can't stand listening to what that n*b Pat Dolan has to say. It's been nothing but annoying having to have two channels to watch the matches. Although I'd say its brought more people to the pub to watch matches. IMO

I would prefer sky to have the rights to most packages but if Setanta were to go we wouldnt get the ROI only games and there has been quite a few this year.

On a side note. We have NTL at home and pay for sky sports and have always had Setanta Ireland for free which means we get nearly all the matches as most are on Setanta Ireland(hence we dont bother paying for the other setanta channels). Is this NTL offer going to end I wonder or is it an ongoing thing because I know Setanta Ireland is not free on Sky digital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

How much do RTE pay for the English Prem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Can't stand the coverage on sky. It's painful to watch.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Some of the gripping here is ridiculous.
    I for one think Setanta are doing a very good job.

Do you enjoy spending money?
    Does PPV float your boat?:confused:

Setanta = €18.00
    Sky = €30.00

Setanta charge you for the subscription service only.
    Sky are all about PPV.

Boxing on Sky = PPV.
    Football on Sky was (and will be again) PPV.
    Even bloody WWE wrestling is PPV!

Setanta have footie subscription only.
    Setanta have boxing subscription only.
    Setanta have UFC subscription only.

They're a new service, and the quality isn't great (yet) but some of ye go on like it's the start of the apocalypse!!!:rolleyes:

I for one think that Setanta are doing a great job, and the fact that they charge less, and don't try and get more out of you at every corner, is a good thing.

Plus, how can you actually enjoy sky?!!

THEY TALK LIKE EVERY SINGLE SENTANCE WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER!!!
    SUPER-MEGA-HYPER-UBER SUNDAY SPORT SPECTACULAR SPECIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WATCH AS TWO TEAMS GO TO WAR WITH THE VERY FATE OF THE UNIVERSE AT STAKE!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHO WILL PREVAIL?!!
    AND WHOEVER WINS IS THE BEST TEAM EVER.
    WHOEVER LOOSES, THE MANAGER SHOULD BE FIRED ON THE SPOT!!!!!!!

God I hate Sky Sports!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Some of the gripping here is ridiculous.
    I for one think Setanta are doing a very good job.

Do you enjoy spending money?
    Does PPV float your boat?:confused:

Setanta = €18.00
    Sky = €30.00

Setanta charge you for the subscription service only.
    Sky are all about PPV.

Boxing on Sky = PPV.
    Football on Sky was (and will be again) PPV.
    Even bloody WWE wrestling is PPV!

Setanta have footie subscription only.
    Setanta have boxing subscription only.
    Setanta have UFC subscription only.

They're a new service, and the quality isn't great (yet) but some of ye go on like it's the start of the apocalypse!!!:rolleyes:

I for one think that Setanta are doing a great job, and the fact that they charge less, and don't try and get more out of you at every corner, is a good thing.

Plus, how can you actually enjoy sky?!!

THEY TALK LIKE EVERY SINGLE SENTANCE WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER!!!
    SUPER-MEGA-HYPER-UBER SUNDAY SPORT SPECTACULAR SPECIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WATCH AS TWO TEAMS GO TO WAR WITH THE VERY FATE OF THE UNIVERSE AT STAKE!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHO WILL PREVAIL?!!
    AND WHOEVER WINS IS THE BEST TEAM EVER.
    WHOEVER LOOSES, THE MANAGER SHOULD BE FIRED ON THE SPOT!!!!!!!

God I hate Sky Sports!!!:mad:

BUT PAT DOLAN??? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

For the sports they show Setanta definitely beats Sky for me. Presentation needs to improve a lot though.

OT, when it rains heavily (like last night) my Setanta is all scrambled on the Sky Box. The only channel this happens to. Is this Setanta's fault for being such poor quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd take Sky over Sellotanta every time. Their commentators aren't too bad and I don't mind that show Football Matters but Pat Dolan is an absolute headwrecker with that smarmy look on his face all the time. He's like the football version of CJ from Eggheads. Then you've got that presenter who incessantly looks at the camera every 5 seconds. Stop it please. No one needs that much eye contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Would take Sky everytime. Am fortune enough to live with a group of football fans so we have the cost of Sky HD and Setanta spread evenly between 4 of us.

Sky, particularly in HD, completely blows Setanta out of the water. Sky's picture and sound quality are on a completely different level.

I used to subscribe to PremPlus and was alot happier paying €50 for year than I am paying €22 per month to Setanta. To be honest, if Setanta don't starting offering HD soon, it will be hard to justify the €22 a month. If I was paying the bill by himself, I defo wouldn't be paying it.

tbh I'm someone (on a relatively poor wage) that spent most of €400 in pubs from Thursday - Saturday so the €22 monthly subscription just doesn't really come into it. :)

Just to actually put it into perceptive. I drink in a pub with a juke box and a pool table. A game of pool is €2. 5 songs in the jukebox is €2. For the whole month all you'd get is 11 of either to make up €22. tbh I'm that bad at pool I'm easily spending that just on a Friday night.

So €22 for all the football (and I'd watch every Celtic reserve game plus the Daily Huddle show every night) is well worth it imo. As I said thought, the quality and production needs a lot of improvement.

BBC/ITV for the last two packages would have been great in my opinion but considering that the BBC just shelled out like £174 Million lastweek to keep the highlights package then I dont see that happening. ESPN coverage will be woeful. Anyone ever watch ESPN coverage in the states ? I watched United v Villa in th fa cup on ESPN about 2 years ago and the commentating was shocking. ESPN should easily outbid Setanta as they are Disney owned and have mountains of cash. The worst case scenario is Setanta winning one and ESPN the other. That means we will have to pay 3 different companies which is a load of my arse. If that happens I for one wont be shelling out for a 3rd subscription and will be looking for online links in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I don't see what's so bad about Sky.

They show the midday kick off, then Jeff Stelling, the legend and his panel follow the 3pm starts. Followed by Sundays game, I love it. I pay for both Sellotanta and Sky, I don't like spending it, but the money gives me entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

I think setanta are doing a grand job and are far better value than sky.

I got rid of my sky sports sub this year as I like to go out to watch sunday games anyway, having the saturday game on setanta is perfect, its cheaper and they actually have other sporting events I would watch but dont rip you for the boxing like sky do.

Plus no Redknapp and his two ****ing suits and one tie talking endless sh1te, or Andy Gray doing the soul raper stare down the tv at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

setanta do have the special one though. . .

anyone know why they don't show 3pm kickoffs in the UK? always wondered that . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Think its something to do with getting people to go out and support their local team instead of watch Man Utd or Arsenal in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

weemcd wrote: »
    anyone know why they don't show 3pm kickoffs in the UK? always wondered that . . .

It is illegal for any channel to show them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

That's consumer choice. We worship the free market, we get what the free market delivers. By the same principle, there's nothing to stop it becoming three or four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

A lot of stick for Setanta here which is unfair. Remember they are Irish owned and are the first company to take on Sky which can't be a bad thing, although the 2 subs is a pain so I cancelled sky.
    The Premier League are in a very strong position as Sky 'must have' Premier League Football or they would go out of business. They made £480 million last year but the cancelled subscriptions that would occur especially from the pub market if they lost the football would ruin them. BTW you pay €70 here for a full package but only £46 in the North. Also Setanta would find it very difficult to survive without Premier League football.
    It still amazes me how clubs get into financial difficulty despite the millions pouring into them.
    So in summary Sky have paid the same amount of money, the players are getting the same ridculous wages and fans through subscription and attending matches along with corporate sponsorship are paying for all of this.
    Has the Premier League not heard of the Recession. This is all going to end in tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I personally hope that ITV get at least one of the remaining two packages. That would be fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Sky have got a fifth package, no word though on who got the sixth

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4902129,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Sky have got a fifth package, no word though on who got the sixth

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4902129,00.html

great news

now for someone besides setanta to get the 6th package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I haven't read all this thread but I'm just wondering is this the most packages(what the hell is a package anyway?) Sky have had and are we likely to see a repeat of Prem Plus again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

great news

now for someone besides setanta to get the 6th package

Indeed, won't be keeping Setanta just for the one package even if they get it anyway.

Guess this kind of ends Setanta's competition with Sky anyway at least for another 4 years

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Indeed, won't be keeping Setanta just for the one package even if they get it anyway.

Guess this kind of ends Setanta's competition with Sky anyway at least for another 4 years

this actually could end setanta all together tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

There goes the free 3pm kick offs and here comes an increase in subscriptions and back to prem plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

How did Setanta lose? Just outbid?

I thought Sky were blocked from getting too many matches to prevent a monopoly?

There goes the free 3pm kick offs and here comes an increase in subscriptions and back to prem plus.

how do you know there gone
    sky will probly have them now
    JPA wrote: »
    How did Setanta lose? Just outbid?

I thought Sky were blocked from getting too many matches to prevent a monopoly?

sky can only get 5 packages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

how do you know there gone
    sky will probly have them now

Setanta show 3 pm kick offs in Ireland ONLY, whereas Sky have the same programming in Ireland and UK. So there is no chance of 3 pm kick offs with Sky.

JPA wrote: »
    Setanta show 3 pm kick offs in Ireland ONLY, whereas Sky have the same programming in Ireland and UK. So there is no chance of 3 pm kick offs with Sky.

but what happens if setanta dont get any of the packages then

why would sky buy 5 packages if they wont beable to show the 3pm kick offs

Setanta/RTE have been showing 3pm kickoffs a few years now. I don't think that'll change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That's an international package Setanta buy to show games over here. We're not the same country:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So Setanta Ireland will still get the 3pm matches and Setanta 1 will just have rights to 5:30pm matches on a saturday?

• Advertisement
Advertisement