Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PL tv rights 2010 to 2013

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No matter what I'm 90 percent sure the 3pm games will be on.

Setanta haven't won the rights for the last package yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

SickBoy wrote: »
    I haven't read all this thread but I'm just wondering is this the most packages(what the hell is a package anyway?) Sky have had and are we likely to see a repeat of Prem Plus again?

A package is 23 games. Some packages differ in regards to time slots etc example being Sky getting sunday 4pm games and Setanta with 5:30pm saturday games. but all are 23 games. A broadcaster is allowed to have a maximum of 5 packages. The EU made a complete bollox of it to be honest. If Sky have 5 packages then I would just rather they were given all six as I really dont see many people paying Setanta for just 23 games in the entire season. I for one will be dropping Setanta now once the new deal kicks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

So Setanta Ireland will still get the 3pm matches and Setanta 1 will just have rights to 5:30pm matches on a saturday?

If they buy the rights for them. There is nothing to say another channel wont buy the rights.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    If they buy the rights for them. There is nothing to say another channel wont buy the rights.

Stupid comment to be honest. Do you actually believe RTE or TV3 have the money to bid for these games ? Rte when they did show didnt even have a full package and only showed games every second week or so. No chance in hell brother. If Setanta dont get the Ireland rights then we wont have any 3pm games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

redout wrote: »
    Stupid comment to be honest.

You should speak for yourself. If you notice I said IF. And who is to say someone like ESPN wopnt buy them?

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    You should speak for yourself. If you notice I said IF. And who is to say someone like ESPN wopnt buy them?

Even presuming is a bit far fetched considering RTE have just Scrapped RTE International and we are in a recession. So no way they are going to bid millions to buy Ireland rights. I cant see the government looking fondly on such a move in the current economic climate. TV3 have even less money than RTE so not much thinking involved really. ESPN have been looking to buy Setanta for over a year now as Disney want to make a big push into the European market so that wont make much difference who buys the last package then if it comes to fruition. Setanta bigwigs are most likely pulling their hair out right now after losing one of their packages to their chief rival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

if rte and tv3 shared the rights

there could be a chance

rte really should have a look at them selves

8/10 of there programming is pure ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There goes the free 3pm kick offs and here comes an increase in subscriptions and back to prem plus.

If they employ the same business model as they did previously with PremPlus, I will be happy enough.

As the 3pm kick offs, I think they are a different deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Why is everyone so upset sky have got more games again.

If they keep it like they used to be we'l have much more games to watch on SKy alone. No missing out on a load of games just because there on Setanta and if i remember correctly their prem plus thing used to be games like fulham v Westham.

Id much rather miss out on that, than missing Liverpool v Man city or..well all Liverpool home games nearly!

I wonder if Rte/Tv3 did combine to just show the 3pm games in Ireland...nah they wont bother their arses they'l bid for Eastenders and Coronation street.

If Espn get the last package does that mean free 3pm kick offs?

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    Why is everyone so upset sky have got more games again.

If Espn get the last package does that mean free 3pm kick offs?

I am happy with Sky getting more games. As regards ESPN the only channel they have is a classics channel on Sky Digital. Now I dont know if they were to show games on that channel or launch a new one which is not that easy a thing to do as they need transponder space and there is a waiting list with satellites etc so they cant just skip the que. Also that would mean using skys platform and I cant see sky doing ESPN any favours there. If they bought Setanta then they already have channels in place. The ESPN channel on Sky I think is free so that would probably mean an encryption of some sort having to be added then.

if rte and tv3 shared the rights

there could be a chance

rte really should have a look at them selves

8/10 of there programming is pure ****e

As a state funded company they shouldn't be buying anything to do with the f**king EPL!!

redout wrote: »
    I am happy with Sky getting more games. As regards ESPN the only channel they have is a classics channel on Sky Digital. Now I dont know if they were to show games on that channel or launch a new one which is not that easy a thing to do as they need transponder space and there is a waiting list with satellites etc so they cant just skip the que. Also that would mean using skys platform and I cant see sky doing ESPN any favours there. If they bought Setanta then they already have channels in place. The ESPN channel on Sky I think is free so that would probably mean an encryption of some sort having to be added then.

ESPN America is now on Sky instead of NASN. Changed on the 1st of Feb.

SantryRed wrote: »
    ESPN America is now on Sky instead of NASN. Changed on the 1st of Feb.

Is it any good ?

At the minute it's the exact same with a name change. They must have plans going forward though.

As a state funded company they shouldn't be buying anything to do with the f**king EPL!!
    thats your view and your entitled to it
    but wouldnt rather watch some soccer than fair city or lucy kennedy show
    i could go on
    At the minute it's the exact same with a name change. They must have plans going forward though.

how much is that per month ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

thats your view and your entitled to it
    but wouldnt rather watch some soccer than fair city or lucy kennedy show
    i could go on
    If they had use of the money that they spend of EPL they could make a lot of high quality programmes with it, though I'm not sure you could go on them.

how much is that per month ?

It's part of the Setanta package at the minute :pac:

SectionF wrote: »
    If they had use of the money that they spend of EPL they could make a lot of high quality programmes with it, though I'm not sure you could go on them.

:pac:

at least I'll do a better acting job than does idiots on fair city

Confirmed: Setanta have won the last package.

BSkyB snatches Setanta TV rights

Premier League football is a major draw for BSkyB and Setanta
    More than 80% of live televised Premier League games will appear on BSkyB after the broadcaster snatched some of the TV rights from rival Setanta.

The broadcasters have each won one of the two remaining packages of UK broadcast rights for 2010 to 2013.

The deal takes the total generated from selling the rights to £1.782bn - about 5% more than the current deal.

Earlier this week the Premier League said BSkyB had retained four of the six packages of audio-visual rights.

'Future certainty'

Each package is made up of 23 top-flight games and at present, Setanta has rights to two of the six packages.

TV DEAL IN NUMBERS
    Number of games to be shown per season 2010-2013 by BSkyB: 115
    Number of games to be shown per season 2010-2013 by Setanta: 23
    Value of first Premier League TV deal in 1992-1997: £191m (60 matches per season)
    Value of 2010-2013 Premier League TV deal: £1.782bn (138 matches per season)

Under the package it has retained, Setanta will show games kicking off late on Saturday afternoon.

Sky, which relies heavily on football for winning and keeping subscribers, said it was paying £1.623bn for its packages, which chief executive Jeremy Darroch said gave it "certainty for the future".

Ireland-based Setanta also has the rights for English international and FA Cup matches, as well as Scottish football, golf, boxing and Indian Premier League cricket.

It said the one package it had retained would "remain at the heart of the company's broad offering" of sport.

But given that the Premier League has been its top attraction, observers say the loss of 23 matches per season would be a big blow to the broadcaster.

Stability

Broadcasters made their offers in a controlled secret auction process and Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said that, in the economic climate, there was "a sense of relief" at the amount of money generated.

This deal gives the cubs the stability to plan and invest in the most important aspect of our business - the football

Richard Scudamore
    Chief executive, Premier League

Half of all broadcast revenue raised is split equally among all 20 Premier League clubs.

A further 25% is distributed depending on how many televised games a club appears in. The remaining funds are awarded based on where a club finishes in the league table, with higher ranking sides getting bigger payouts.

"The Premier League is a fantastic competition and the continued investment in playing talent and facilities made by the clubs is largely down to the revenue generated through the sale of our broadcast rights," Mr Scudamore said.

"The live UK rights are the largest contribution to the revenues we distribute centrally to the clubs and this deal gives them the stability to plan and invest in the most important aspect of our business - the football. Everything else flows from that."

Last week, the BBC retained the rights to broadcast Premier League highlights up to the end of the 2012-13 season.

The overseas broadcast rights, which are also up for renewal in 2010, generated a total of £625m over the same three-year period when they were renegotiated in January 2007.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7875478.stm

By my calculations each club is guaranteed a minimum of £44,550,000 over the three seasons of the deal plus a cut from league position and also the cut from amount of times the clubs games have been broadcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Do you reckon Monday night football will be prem plus or regular skysports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Cionád wrote: »
    Do you reckon Monday night football will be prem plus or regular skysports?

Regular Sky I reckon, think one of the packages is a Pay per view one so no games but that will be Prem Plus but I could be wrong on that

Sky has not mentioned Premplus as of yet being to soon after the deal has been secured. Hopefully they will do us all a favour and just add the games to our normal package. Premplus use to be 50 games a season. The cant offer 50 this time around unless the bastards take some matches from our normal package as it is. Knowing Rupert Murdoch the greedy so and so probably will as I read yesterday that News Corp. profits have nosedived big time according to the quarterly reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Poor Setanta lost half there games

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Poor Setanta lost half there games

Good, can't stand their coverage apart from Football matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

A lot of people I know have dropped, or were about to drop Sky in favour of Setanta [mostly United and Liverpool fans who reckoned they'd see more of their own teams for the money spent] That will change now, can see Setanta take a big hit in Ireland, even if they get the international rights and show Sat 3pm games the perception is there that they've a very small number of games to show.

I'm ditching them both, streams and boozer FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i think setanta are in the **** now most people i know only had it coz of the 2 saturday games which are usually pool and united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

yabadabado wrote: »
    i think setanta are in the **** now most people i know only had it coz of the 2 saturday games which are usually pool and united.

Yes ,that scenario will likely continue.
    I watch more matches on Setanta than Sky,I like the 3pm kick off esp during the Winter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

When are the Irish rights up..?setanta really need to win them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Owen Gibson in the Guardian...
    It’s not all good news for the clubs though. Their challenge will be to avoid the prune juice economics that have seen them pour the proceeds of every previous blockbuster TV deal straight through their accounts and into players’ pockets. The record £160m splashed out in this transfer window does not inspire hope. The fact that they so badly need the Premier League to keep the billions flowing in order to maintain their current, often precarious and indebted, position should also raise concerns about what will happen when their other revenue streams start to dry up.

And the longer term danger for Sky is that even if more people do choose to watch at home rather than in person, there will be a knock-on effect in terms of atmosphere in the grounds and on air. All the HD cameras and surround sound in the world won’t help convince viewers that they are watching a major event if all they are documenting is rows of empty seats and the sound of tumbleweed through the stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Have to admit that that deal is a stunning success for the EPL from a financial point of view. as pointed out in the article above, they need to keep the crowds strong to keep the "package" attractive.

And that sort of cash should allow them to keep admission prices from going up further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

They'll just start piping in crowd noise at games.

Setanta reaches out for more live matches

Setanta is believed to be seeking an urgent meeting with the Premier League in the hope it will help broker a deal to regain the rights it lost in last week's record-breaking TV auction. The Irish company won only one package for the rights to broadcast the Premier League between 2010 and 2013, cutting in half its current output. That would restrict coverage to 23 matches on Saturday evenings, which analysts believe may not be enough to sustain subscriber numbers and could plunge the loss-making channel further into the red.

The talks will revolve around trying to re-secure the Monday night package, which Sky won last week, but those close to the process believe that such a manoeuvre would be "virtually impossible". The auction process is heavily regulated by an independent scrutineer under a compromise agreement with the European Commission.

The six-year agreement, signed in 2005, allowed the Premier League to continue to auction its domestic rights collectively so long as its live matches were sold to more than one broadcaster. Last Friday, the Premier League chief executive, Richard Scudamore, unveiled the new domestic rights deal, which will bring in £1.782bn between 2010 and 2013.

Should Setanta be unsuccessful in securing a reverse of the auction, the state of the channel's funding is bound to come under increased scrutiny. Last night the media research group Enders Analysis questioned whether Setanta could survive in its current form. It calculated that Sky had ended up with five packages after resolving to maintain the level of investment that has proved mutually beneficial for the pay-TV giant and the Premier League over the past 17 years.

Of Setanta, Enders said: "We must therefore envisage mass subscriber defections, with every 100,000 subscribers now worth approximately £10m on in annual revenues. Today, Setanta reaches about 1.5 million direct subscribers, slightly short of its required break-even total [estimated at around 1.7-1.8m at current prices]. With live Premier League football such a jewel in its crown, the fear is that Setanta could easily lose upwards of a third of its current subscriber base. At the very least it has to review its entire business plan and survival cannot be taken for granted."

But Setanta will hope to persuade its backers that it has a viable business, even with fewer Premier League matches. "That said, it may also be the case that many diehard sports fans will still want Setanta even with a reduced Premier League offering," Enders added. "As a result the net benefit of reduced rights payments and subscriber numbers may actually prove positive."

Setanta paid £159m for its package of 23 games, a significant reduction on its existing deal. However, the 20% reduction on it existing outlay on the Saturday evening package will reduce its cost base. It is believed that its strategy of trying to secure a discount on the £355m it paid for 46 matches under the existing deal backfired when Sky won the fifth of six packages on offer. Setanta had hoped to retain two but pay less.

Setanta is believed to be examining a number of options, including the possibility of persuading BSkyB to sub-licence the fifth package of Monday night matches back to the broadcaster. Although the two rivals co-operate on selling matches to pubs, a deal that also covers home subscribers is seen as unlikely – partly because it may fall foul of competition rules.

A spokesman for Setanta dismissed suggestions that the business is in trouble. "Following the outcome of the Premier League rights auction there is understandable speculation about the future of the business," he said. "But Setanta retain the right to show 46 Premier League games per season until the end of 2009–10, along with a host of other top-class sport including international football, the FA Cup, golf, boxing, Indian Premier League cricket and Guinness Premiership rugby."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Mail

The major doubts surrounding the future of TV sports subscription network Setanta are causing great concern within the FA, whose financial stability is dependent on TV rights deals.

Setanta, who have a four-year contract starting this season to cover England and the FA Cup, have crisis talks in progress that will decide whether they can fund their ambitious portfolio of sports rights or possibly see their whole British operation collapse.

Setanta’s three main City investors — Balderton Capital, Doughty Hanson and Goldman Sachs — are unwilling to provide the extra capital needed and the TV company desperately need to find new backers in the depths of the recession.

The current investors have only themselves to blame for the meltdown, having failed to approve the few extra millions that would have seen Setanta retain both their packages of Premier League rights in the auction last month. Instead, they lost half their live Premier League games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

THEY TALK LIKE EVERY SINGLE SENTANCE WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER!!!
    SUPER-MEGA-HYPER-UBER SUNDAY SPORT SPECTACULAR SPECIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WATCH AS TWO TEAMS GO TO WAR WITH THE VERY FATE OF THE UNIVERSE AT STAKE!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHO WILL PREVAIL?!!
    AND WHOEVER WINS IS THE BEST TEAM EVER.
    WHOEVER LOOSES, THE MANAGER SHOULD BE FIRED ON THE SPOT!!!!!!!

Hmmm, can't seem to get youtube to work... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maLALEIUm58

SPL clubs face reduced TV money

Scotland's Premier League clubs are facing a reduction in television revenue, with Setanta renegotiating its contract for future seasons.

Setanta, whose current deal to show SPL games ends next term, last year agreed to pay £125m over four seasons for exclusive live coverage from 2010.

But the company now wants to reduce its financial commitment.

An SPL spokesman would only say: "We're in touch with Setanta and they are keeping us up to date."

Talks have been ongoing for several weeks, but the spokesman refused to confirm or deny whether the SPL's 12 member clubs would be meeting next week to discuss Setanta's proposals to change the terms of the deal.

Setanta, which won the rights to broadcast the SPL from the BBC in 2004, admits that it is hoping to re-negotiate all its future contracts.

That follows the terms of their contract with England's Premier League, which turned out to be less lucrative than it had hoped for.

Anything like this represents a change in direction that could undermine the whole effort to improve the game in Scotland and therefore is bad news

Motherwell manager Mark McGhee
    Motherwell manager Mark McGhee said the television money is critical to the future of the SPL and feared that any attempt to re-negotiate the deal would harm the game in Scotland.

"I think that, rather than negotiating downwards, we were hoping that, over the next years, it would be going up and up - that we would be be able to add more value to the games and therefore demand more in terms of TV rights to help put better teams on the pitch and it would therefore be an upward spiral.

"Anything like this represents a change in direction that could undermine the whole effort to improve the game in Scotland and therefore is bad news."

Falkirk chief executive George Craig said that his club earn in excess of £1m per year from the SPL, the majority of that through television revenue.

"For any SPL club, not just Falkirk, that would have a significant bearing going forward preparing budgets because the Setanta contract is a very important one for the SPL," he said.

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan, though, suggests that any reduction in television revenue would have no bearing on his transfer budget.

However, he is concerned at the impact this may have on other clubs in Scotland.

Price Waterhouse Coopers football finance expert David Glenn agreed that the impact would be greater on the smaller clubs.

"If you take Motherwell, for example, the television contract is about a quarter of their income and a reduction would be quite significant for them," he said.

"For Celtic and Rangers, with income of £50-60m, a couple of million here and there, while not nice, equally they can cope with that."

Glenn said the impact on the SPL as a whole would depend on the size of the renegotiation.

"Let's look at it in context. They last re-negotiated in 2006 for a deal for four years at just over £51m, about £13m a season," he said.

"So they were more than doubling that. That was going to equate to over £30m a season. That was looking a good deal.

"You don't miss what you have never had and, if they are saying that they will continue to pay what they have already been paying, that might not be so bad."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/8004397.stm

Things arent looking to good for Setanta and their future at the moment after losing the majority of their prmeiership rights and now so dire financially they want to reduce the money they pay the SPL and renegotiate all of their sporting contracts. Thye made a bollox of it when they offered less for the Premiership rights than they did last time around. Who in the name of god would actually of thought the Premiership would have accepted less money ? Either way I will be cancelling Setanta once next season which is the final one of the current deal is over. No sence paying over €20 per month for just 20 games a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

What's the story with Setanta advertising the fact that they have eighty-something live PL games for next season? "More than ever before"

I thought they only had 23 games or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What's the story with Setanta advertising the fact that they have eighty-something live PL games for next season? "More than ever before"

I thought they only had 23 games or something?

Current package doesn't run out until the end of next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

But we all have Setanta Ireland, and half their games are on that.

So thats hakf the package free without shelling out for Setanta Sports 1.

Sky getting all the packages just means they will increase the fee or bring back the rip-off prem plus.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    When are the Irish rights up..?setanta really need to win them.

For the national team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

noodler wrote: »
    But we all have Setanta Ireland, and half their games are on that.

So thats hakf the package free without shelling out for Setanta Sports 1.

Sky getting all the packages just means they will increase the fee or bring back the rip-off prem plus.

Only NTL viewers have Setanta Ireland free don't they?

Plus, I'd rather pay a flat 50 euro or whatever it is for a season of games than pay 18 a month.

I didn't know it was only NTL.

Still obviously I am happy enough getting those games free whilst having a relatively cheaper Sky Sports subscription.

Are there more people on Sky then NTL in Ireland?

Sky has about 700,000 subscribers in Ireland. Not sure what NTL (Cablelink) has but considering everyone has had it since before Sky came to Ireland one would think they have more basic subscribers (just RTE 1, RTE 2, UTV, TV3, BBC)

Advertisement