Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Shop, Trafalgar Road, Greystones

Options
  • 04-02-2009 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭

Ok, I was in a bit of a hurry today as I am sure most people were with the snow issues...anyhow, after dropping off some post at the sorting office and looping around past the Garda Station, I noticed very briefing a small shop with an awning with "The Steak Shop" on it. the shop is located at the top of the cop-shop road.

Is this the real name of the shop? Do they sell other stuff and steaks are their speciality? Are they just a glorified butcher? How do they rate against the other competition? Or do the sell tent pegs and think there's a market by being located beside the Scout Hall?

Any relevant comments are very welcome. Now I'm a little peckish.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

They sell other products besides steak. The steak however is top notch. The chap who owns it slaughters his own and supplies most of the butchers around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Huntthe wrote: »
    They sell other products besides steak. The steak however is top notch. The chap who owns it slaughters his own and supplies most of the butchers around.

They very helpful aswell. I was looking for fancy sausages, which they didnt have that day. I almost had to fight him off as he was trying to order them for me. I needed them for that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

I bought some steak there the other week. I reckon it was the nicest I've had in a very long time.

I'd strongly recommend him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

+1 Was also walking past there completely by accident the other day and noticed it for the first time, went in and got a really good steak for my dinner that night. Apparently they've been there for over 6 months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Had steak from there last night. VERY high quality meat.

We've ordered a shoulder of pork for the weekend. Looking forward to it being of the same high quality. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

Would highly recommend the striploin; we had it last week and it was so tender that a normal knife cut it easily. Yum Yum....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Going to try this in the next couple of days, doubt it will taste as good as Farrellys in Delgany...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

45euro per kg fillet steak. Never seen it dearer anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bob13

Have been using this shop for a couple of months now...all their Beef is hung for 21 days....superquinn have a special box for that!! and costs alot more!!....
    They really know their stuff and can get you anything you want...top class spot...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thanks for all the comments...sounds like a decent spot for a nice bit of meat. I'll certainly try it out in the next week.

@Dr Ro, this is Greystones - totally recession proof!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

Going to try this in the next couple of days, doubt it will taste as good as Farrellys in Delgany...

Farrellys meat is very good. He is suppled by the chap who owns the steak house. The steak is more expensive but I don't eat steak as often as I'd like so I don't mind paying a bit more more for quality .

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

just finished those expensive steaks. They were amazing. So long tesco steaks. Steak shop's got it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

as long as dont start growing beards from the meat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

Can't fault this place. Great meat at good value for its quality!

Also, the guy who owns the operation is very generous when supporting local charities and school fund raising. For me that's another good reason to support a local business offering a great product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭StroppySu

This is near to my parents house, must try it after all these glowing reports!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

I have to totally agree with the above sentiments regarding the meat. It is totally fantastic! The steaks are massive too. We get striploin there and it is brilliant value.

I went in one day looking for lamb mince and they chopped it off the legs for me and minced it! :eek: I was salivating looking at the quality of the meat going into the mincer.

Brought the bones home (For Dog Owners info: they were free and with some lovely meat still on) to see what would happen with the cats - it had the natural, if unwanted, affect on one of them......he has now turned hunter and killed 2 birds including a thrush the size of my foot! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 the fat man

i have to agree this small new butchers is fantastic the displays are brillant the butcher there really knows his stuff and if he doesn;t have what you need will have no problem getting it for you.the steak there is to die for and is reasonably priced and at least you know it will be tender .they also seem to have some different specials on each week which is also great in these doom and gloom times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

we only discovered this place the other week and I have to agree with everyone else - it's well worth it! we got striploin and they were delicious - so unbelievably tender. My only teeny weeny criticism is that they don't do rib-eye because it's my favourite...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Had steak from there last night. VERY high quality meat.

We've ordered a shoulder of pork for the weekend. Looking forward to it being of the same high quality. :)
    The shoulder of pork was fab! Very high quality.

T-bone tonight... :)

Just had a venison sausage for lunch, not too venisony, spot on :)

• Advertisement

dh2007 wrote: »
    My only teeny weeny criticism is that they don't do rib-eye because it's my favourite...

Shouldnt of told them it was your favourite

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

got the christmas dinner there lovely food and really helpful staff

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 8 davegggg

I can't believe it's been open for this long and I didn't know about it. I've just come from there and practically had to be dragged out. I got a magnificent 23 day aged piece of beef with the rib in for a roast tomorrow. All the food in the food in the fridge will be gone off if I keep opening it to take a look again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 dede_dublin

Nice to see people saying good things about a small local shop, will buy some steak for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Picked up 2 monster t-bones for valentines in the Steak Shop. One of the best steaks I've ever had. Bring on the BBQ season!

Mullie wrote: »
    Picked up 2 monster t-bones for valentines in the Steak Shop. One of the best steaks I've ever had. Bring on the BBQ season!

How much did you pay for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Picked up 2 t-bones, 1/2lb sausages (so good!!) and a tray of garlic meatballs (mmmmm...) and all came to about €21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

O.k., so just tried the T-Bone steak from there this evening.... and to be honest...
    Didn't think much of it to say the least, thought it was tasteless... not a pitch on Farrellys.. No-where near...
    Great service and all that but regarding meat... wont be going there again...

Oh and it was more exspensive than Farrellys..

Looking forward to next Saturday where normal service will resume...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

where exactly is it , i cant picture it...

• Advertisement

Mullie wrote: »
    a tray of garlic meatballs (mmmmm...)

ooh god, ive shut the windows! :eek:

Advertisement