Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Shop, Trafalgar Road, Greystones

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

MegFi wrote: »
    where exactly is it , i cant picture it...

You know the car park opposite the old LaTouche Hotel and beside the Old Scout Den? Other side of the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

O.k., so just tried the T-Bone steak from there this evening.... and to be honest...
    Didn't think much of it to say the least, thought it was tasteless... not a pitch on Farrellys.. No-where near...
    Great service and all that but regarding meat... wont be going there again...

Oh and it was more exspensive than Farrellys..

Looking forward to next Saturday where normal service will resume...;)

Strange , he supplies Farrellys.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

Picked up a couple of striploin's and Spicey Meatballs over the weekend and I will deffo be going back,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Huntthe wrote: »
    Strange , he supplies Farrellys.

No he don't, Farrelys slaughter their own..

We'll have to agree to disagree, could have sworn I saw him delivering there though...my mistake perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 the fat man

the welsh wizard is wrong again they do supply farellys and there steak is better they hang it longer i should know my name sake should tell you i have eaten a lot of steaks in my time .was in there today and bought an enormous organic chicken for only twenty euro .let the welsh wizard go elsewhere to buy his meat just means there is more delicous goodies in this brillant little butchers for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

enormous organic chicken for only twenty euro ..

Mate, thats expensive!

I bought two large organic chicks up in Newry on Wednesday for £7.50 each. Price of chicken really pees me off down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

the welsh wizard is wrong again they do supply farellys and there steak is better they hang it longer i should know my name sake should tell you i have eaten a lot of steaks in my time .was in there today and bought an enormous organic chicken for only twenty euro .let the welsh wizard go elsewhere to buy his meat just means there is more delicous goodies in this brillant little butchers for the rest of us.

Let me just say that if I'm ever wrong then i'd gladly say that I'm wrong but with this case im not, although im interested where the "again" part came from..
    I have just arrived back from Farrellys, where i was told that yes Barry (Steak shop) does deliver the odd time but would only be Kidneys, Chicken livers etc etc.
    I was also told, what i already know and have been saying all along, that they slaughter their own cattle and produce brillant tasting meat.

As you say, your "name sake" says it all, so if your still in doubt then id suggest you take a walk up to Delgany and ask them yourself..

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

...anyway....enough slagging each other off...and back to the reviews : )

Got some lamb and a couple of T bones (I'm off vegetables for lent) and have to say it's been a long time since I've tasted such tasty meat, and the guy behind the counter was more than helpful...can't say enough good things about this place!!
    Oh! by the way...I didn't eat the whole lot in one sitting, just in case you're wondering.
    I wouldn't have said the pricing is too over the top either, especially when you consider the quality of the meat, and the fact that it's local produce.
    Viva la recession!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 HungerMunger

Huntthe wrote: »
    They sell other products besides steak. The steak however is top notch. The chap who owns it slaughters his own and supplies most of the butchers around.
    Yes they do have their own slaughter house and farm, but they have not killed cattle in years. I passed by the farm in Newcastle recently and all I saw was a landfill and everything looked to be in tillage.

• Advertisement

Yes they do have their own slaughter house and farm, but they have not killed cattle in years. I passed by the farm in Newcastle recently and all I saw was a landfill and everything looked to be in tillage.

Fairplay to your eyesight, you saw a landfill from the road ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Opus_One

Being a big fan of the Superquinn SQ fillet steaks I thought I'd try this place, which I did a few weeks ago.

Got chatting to the butcher ("Lar" - does he own it? I got the impression he did, but from other posts on this thread someone else called Barry does?), and he was telling me he had been working as a butcher for Superquinn for 20 years, in Bray (so I suppose he should know his stuff at this stage, eh!?).

Seemingly all of their steak is hung for 21 days (he reckons that the peak is up to 28 days - so ask him to hang some longer for you), whereas SQ make a big deal about this, as someone pointed out earlier on this thread.

I told him I was looking for thicker steaks than the ones in the display, so he went off into the cooler and got out a whole fillet and cut me off two of the best steaks I have ever seen.

Well we had them, and they were melt-in-the mouth. So tender. Well worth a trip down there to check it out. Must try some of the other stuff they have, that other people here have been raving about.

Lar's parting words were "Superquinn steaks are crap! After you have these you'll never eat another Superquinn steak again...!" Bold words, but he could just be right! Plus it's nice to have the bit of banter, and to be supporting small local businesses, especially these days.

Advertisement