Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Title shot for Machida?

• 04-02-2009 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Do the MMA lovers have an opinion on this due to his dominant win over Thiago Silva?

Comments

He should be due a title shot after another 8 - 10 wins.

No, Dana said if Rampage beats Jardine then machida will fight the winner of Rampage vs Evans, if Jardine wins then Machida will fight Evans next.

Machida is feckin awesome by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I think Rampage deserves a shot at his title. I think Rampage and Machida will beat Evans. I think Rampage and Machida would be very interesting fought over 5 rounds for a championship. 3 rounds, leaves more room for a indecisive decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I don't really see anybody at light heavyweight who would be favourite to beat Machida so yeah by that criteria he should definitely get a title shot. I think UFC are a bit scared that fans will find him boring but I love his style.

I think he would beat Rashad. Not so sure about Rampage but if I had to bet I would pick Machida.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

He deserves it anyway. If Jackson loses, its machida, if he wins, he'll prolly fight machida as his first defense. If its the latter, machida may end up sidelined and not getting his title shot for the best part of a year. The Ufc really have handled this badly.

What the hell is rampage doing fighting jardine anyway? its pointless and only suceeds in slowing down the title schedule. I know they need a big bout for 96 or whichever one, but it really puts a spanner in the works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

What the hell is rampage doing fighting jardine anyway? its pointless and only suceeds in slowing down the title schedule. I know they need a big bout for 96 or whichever one, but it really puts a spanner in the works.

Evans wasn't ready to fight and they needed a main event for that show. That's about it

If Machida manages to finish his fights then I think that he'd be a big star. He's been learning to speak English, which, like it or not, counts a lot towards how the UFC fans see someone. He's got this strange charisma about him, he's like a guy from another era transplanted from Japan into the UFC

I don't think that anyone can beat him right now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

They should put him in there with Forrest before he gets a title fight because that match itself would draw and if Lyoto beat Forrest his public profile would increase dramatically and if he loses they can rehab him against Rampage and have another big fight on. That division should become a massive massive money maker because there's nobody who's that much better than the rest

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I seriously dont get how people think he's a boring fighter!?! I think he's the most interesting thing to come out of UFC for a good while. Its fascinating to see his style against the almost ubiquitous MT&JJ proponents (I have great respect for both arts by the way, its a tribute to them that many MMA fighters consider them indispensible). MMA for me was about pitching various styles and style-mixes against each other and Machida is there showing what his art can do when mixed in the right combination with others.

As for finishing his fights, he's not here to get smacked about for our amusement. There is a set of rules and he fights to win within those rules. God, how awful that a fighter tries to avoid damage while doing it to his opponent.

He fights his way. He wins his way. Its either about entertaining the baying crowd in which case lets have them fighting in mud with blindfolds and wrist spikes. Or its about a clinical display of fighting prowess.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I no longer have any objections to Machida fighting for the title on the grounds that hes boring, but I dont think that hes earned it yet. His best wins are over BJ Penn, a lightweight, Rich Franklin, some time back, and Thiago Silva, who hasnt beaten a top 10 LHW fighter.

That being siad, I think Rampage or Evans would beat him. Would really like to see the gameplan Greg Jackson puts together to fight Machida

dunkamania wrote: »
    I no longer have any objections to Machida fighting for the title on the grounds that hes boring, but I dont think that hes earned it yet. His best wins are over BJ Penn, a lightweight, Rich Franklin, some time back, and Thiago Silva, who hasnt beaten a top 10 LHW fighter.

That being siad, I think Rampage or Evans would beat him. Would really like to see the gameplan Greg Jackson puts together to fight Machida

To be fair he made Tito, who would have beaten the current LHW Champ had it not been for a point docked for grabbing the fence, look foolish until the last minute of round 3. He's more than earned it IMO. I believe he earned it more than Forrest, Lesnar, Mir, Penn at WW etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Lyoto is the future LHW champ. He would kick the **** out of the average Evans.

• Advertisement

Damnit, forgot to mention Tito, but still, despite his past achievements, its been a while since he has beaten anybody of top calibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

Damnit, forgot to mention Tito, but still, despite his past achievements, its been a while since he has beaten anybody of top calibre.

his last 4 fights :

Thiago silvs
    Tito Ortiz
    Rameau Sokoudjou
    Nakamara

yeah, sure they are 4 cans.....

hes the best fighter in the UFC ATM in my opinion. I cant see anyone beating him either.

excellant fighter and will be a dominant force as soon as he gets his title shot

hes been hit less than any ufc fighter and has never lost a round in the ufc.

A terrible comparison but I cant resist........Kalib Starnes wasnt hit alot in his fight against Nate Quarry either.........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Machida reminds me of modern day Van Damme.
    Wide stance,clean cut,karate foundation and very clinical..
    Whoever is lined up for him next its gonna be gud.
    I think Rashad would be found out against an intelligent fighter like Machida.
    Bring it on!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I don't think he'll get a title shot until the end of the year. Up next is Rampage v Jardine and the plan seems to be Rampage v Evans after that assuming Rampage beats Jardine which is not a certainty although it is the likely outcome. I think Machida will then get his chance against the winner of Rampage v Evans but that might not be until next November/December. He can't go that long without a fight so he'll probably have to fight at least once in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Was going to start a thread about this but what do you guys think about the other UFC titles? Should be black and white who should be getting shots but its hard to call. Or am I wrong?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'd buy the PPV of Evans vs Machida and I hate PPV :)

Evans has a head you could hit with a breezeblock all day it seems. He's incredibly determined to win from what I can see. Machida is a technical genius imHo but how will he do on the mat?

It would be a great great fight, lets face it, its the fight that will end (and start) a million threads on the internet about the place of "traditional" MA in MMA (please please, lets not make this thread one of them! :) )

Machida is smart, he has taken when he knows and mixed it with the new school approach and found something that clearly works for him. I'd love to see him usher in a new era of radically different styles. How cool would that be :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

DeVore wrote: »
    Machida is smart, he has taken when he knows and mixed it with the new school approach and found something that clearly works for him. I'd love to see him usher in a new era of radically different styles. How cool would that be :)

DeV.

That would be awful. The same thing that's happened to boxing could happen to MMA if Machida completely dominates people take after him. One Machida is great, 2 or 3 would be fantastic but 10+ would start to get boring and the novelty would wear off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

DeVore wrote: »
    It would be a great great fight, lets face it, its the fight that will end (and start) a million threads on the internet about the place of "traditional" MA in MMA (please please, lets not make this thread one of them! :) )

DeV.

I apologise. But how is Shotokan Karate more traditional than Muay Thai in your opinion? How is Shotokan Karate more traditional than Kyukushin Karate?

He is fast becoming one of my favorite fighters. Looking forward to his next fight now . Should he get a title shot ? Its not my call, i think e deserves a title shot but so does other fighters in the division .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

A terrible comparison but I cant resist........Kalib Starnes wasnt hit alot in his fight against Nate Quarry either.........;)

damn it

i lol'd

+5 internets for this man and no further argument from me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Yet again The UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans gets overlooked. You people make me sick. :mad:

When Rashad beats both Jackson and Machida you all owe Rashad an apology. Shame on you all!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

He was only learning the ropes of MMA in his early fights too at the time so you have to consider that plus he won easily against Tito and Sukoudju before he embarassed Thiago silva who is still in Sherdogs top 10 LHW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

To be fair he made Tito, who would have beaten the current LHW Champ had it not been for a point docked for grabbing the fence,
    In my opinion, Tito would have lost that fight had he not grabbed the cage. The judges scored that last round 9-9 (if I recall correctly), so they essentially gave the round to Tito but docked him the point. Now, Evans would have landed a really good takedown had Tito not grabbed the cage, and probably would have had the round awarded it to him (I remember it being quite close, although I have not seen it since it was live), thus tipping the scorecards in his favour.

This doesn't really have anything to do with Lyoto Machida or anything, who I would pick to beat any LHW in the UFC at the moment. I'd rather see him fight one more time before getting the shot though, as there are plenty of lucrative fights for Evans right now and Machida will be a bigger draw after another fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

tito won the first 2 rounds 10/9. Evans won the seconnd 10/8 with the point deduction. 28/28..

Tito won that fight regardless of the deduction imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

According to Dave Meltzer Machida or Jackson are the two next in line for the title shot at UFC 100. The decision on which one will made after Jacson/Jardine fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

tito won the first 2 rounds 10/9. Evans won the seconnd 10/8 with the point deduction. 28/28..

Tito won that fight regardless of the deduction imo.
    I see. As I mentioned, I don't remember it that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Highnoon

Delighted Machida beat Thiago. I hate that thumb across the throat gesture he does after a fight. It seems a very thuggish, unsportsman like thing to do. Think Machida deserves a shot. Can see Jardine beating Rampage though it depends which one shows up on the night. Leg kicking Jardine or knocked out in 45 seconds Jardine.

Think also that Rashad is a deserved champion. He's really had a tough road to the belt (unlike say a Lesnar). Have heard stuff about him being disrepectful etc but as a fighter he's really good. Look forward to his next defence against whomever it turns out to be.

Was thinking a UFC 100 card should have the oldies filling the lower spots. I'm thinking any of the guys still competing like Don Frye, Severn. Tank Vs Shamrock would be fun. Topped off by title fights for the current greats.

I apologise. But how is Shotokan Karate more traditional than Muay Thai in your opinion? How is Shotokan Karate more traditional than Kyukushin Karate?
    Sorry, I expressed myself badly. More "traditionally used" in MMA (from my viewing of it and if something with only 10 years history can be said to have "tradition").

Not a more traditional art. I dont subscribe to that kind of thing. Anyone who gets out there and practises their art form with discipline and determination gets my respect, regardless.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Yet again The UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans gets overlooked. You people make me sick. :mad:

When Rashad beats both Jackson and Machida you all owe Rashad an apology. Shame on you all!! :P
    Dude, I just said I think he's a great fighter. Or are you overlooking me too :)

Lets not start with the hate etc, Evans has nothing to prove, he's the champ and a valid one imho.

DeV.

Advertisement