Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Title shot for Machida?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Highnoon wrote: »
    Delighted Machida beat Thiago. I hate that thumb across the throat gesture he does after a fight. It seems a very thuggish, unsportsman like thing to do.

After the Benoit incident it seems a little stupid considering the massive cross over in fans as well seeing as it was his gesture for years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Bubs101 wrote: »
    After the Benoit incident it seems a little stupid considering the massive cross over in fans as well seeing as it was his gesture for years

I dont know how this is relevant. How many boxers/pro wrestlers/fighters etc have made that gesture before. Silva might not know who Chris Benoit is. So what if that is a gesture he used while playing a character in the WWE. Because of what he did, does that mean nobody can use this gesture again for fear it will remind people of what Benoit did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

DeVore wrote: »
    Dude, I just said I think he's a great fighter. Or are you overlooking me too :)

Lets not start with the hate etc, Evans has nothing to prove, he's the champ and a valid one imho.

DeV.

Ok you're off the hook. But no such luck for the rest of these yahoo's!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Fromvert wrote: »
    I dont know how this is relevant. How many boxers/pro wrestlers/fighters etc have made that gesture before. Silva might not know who Chris Benoit is. So what if that is a gesture he used while playing a character in the WWE. Because of what he did, does that mean nobody can use this gesture again for fear it will remind people of what Benoit did.

Josh Barnett likes the old 'throat slit' gesture as well. It's all in goood fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Alicano wrote: »
    Machida reminds me of modern day Van Damme.
    Wide stance,clean cut,karate foundation and very clinical..
    Whoever is lined up for him next its gonna be gud.
    I think Rashad would be found out against an intelligent fighter like Machida.
    Bring it on!:)

The best LHW reminds you of an Actor :D. I would be surprised if Rashad is still the champion by the the Machida gets a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

The thing I took from being over at the fight last weekend, is that the casual fans do hate Machida.
    Mainly it sems, because it's the cool thing to do!:rolleyes:

Because this was such a fans fight however, Machida was being cheered by all the hardcore GSP and BJ fans, who actually appreciate him for what he is.

He must have gotten the biggest cheer in his UFC career, because there was a smaller percentage of the UFC's new "fans" there.

When he knocked out Silva however, the whole stadium did erupt, and I think his showing of emotion, straddling the cage and all, will make him more fans.

I've always loved Machida, and have called him as a future champ years ago.

To be fair Josh Barnett has been doing it for years too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Fromvert wrote: »

Neither do I putting thumb across the throat is well established cross cultural piece of sign lanuage. Im sure must of us have seen it in movies. It pre dates Chris Benoit easily.
    The thing I took from being over at the fight last weekend, is that the casual fans do hate Machida.
    Mainly it sems, because it's the cool thing to do!:rolleyes:

Because this was such a fans fight however, Machida was being cheered by all the hardcore GSP and BJ fans, who actually appreciate him for what he is.

He must have gotten the biggest cheer in his UFC career, because there was a smaller percentage of the UFC's new "fans" there.

I dont really see how you can discern new "fans" and the hardcores like this and in a crowd of that scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I imagine a large part of his cheer was based around the exciting and rather empthatic end to his fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

Its hardly a new trend to taunt with a cut throat gesture.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    I imagine a large part of his cheer was based around the exciting and rather empthatic end to his fight.

Not to mention it was first non-decision ending to a fight that night.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The thumb-across-throat sign dates back to at least the 14th century.

Its a technical foul in basketball and banned in the NFL for reasons of sensitivity now.

(just some info for ya's)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The thumb-across-throat sign dates back to at least the 14th century.

Its a technical foul in basketball and banned in the NFL for reasons of sensitivity now.

(just some info for ya's)

DeV.

Bingo, there is no point in worrying about cross over celebrations, or who did this or that first. Machida snowed a very exciting and very aggressive fighter and he did it in impressive fashion.

If this is the new incarnation of Lyoto then i think he will get his title shot sooner rather than later. I also think he stands a good chance of neutralising the game of the vast majority of fighters that he could face.

I would like to see him get his shot after one more win, which i have no doubt he will rack up.

On another note, Dev, you post in pretty much every forum i do and many more. I actually wonder at times how you get any work done. Let alone all the stuff you do off line.

I thought i had myself a busy schedule but you make me look like i'm on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

rovert wrote: »
    I dont really see how you can discern new "fans" and the hardcores like this and in a crowd of that scale.

Sorry, didn't put that accross well.
    I didn't mean new fans, as in people who've only recently started following.
    I meant as in the new generation, who follow and go to fights cause it's the cool thing to do.
    The UFC is at the stage where it's gaining popularity at an amazing rate, and a lot of people who go to fights, really do expect to see some kind of barbaric human cockfight.
    Machida gets booed constantly by these fans.

The genuine fans, whether they be old hands, Ultimate Fighter inductees, or even just people new people to the sport, can respect Machida's skill.

Dragan wrote: »

I was reffering more to the cheers as he came out.
    There was a good bit of booing, but all of the GSP and BJ fans seemed to be cheering for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

There was a good bit of booing, but all of the GSP and BJ fans seemed to be cheering for him.

So there were people who weren't fans of either guy??

I think that you're over-analysing why some people boo Machida. It's because practically all his fights go to a decision and his style makes it appear that he's running away and not going for the finish. The fact that he didn't speak English before definitely played into it a lot too

rovert wrote: »
    Neither do I putting thumb across the throat is well established cross cultural piece of sign lanuage. Im sure must of us have seen it in movies. It pre dates Chris Benoit easily.

Yeah the UNDERTAKER has been doing it for years! :D

And I think that cut throat sign is not popular these days because of the beheadings of hostages......(i.e. Ken Bigley)

Yeah the UNDERTAKER has been doing it for years! :D

And I think that cut throat sign is not popular these days because of the beheadings of hostages......(i.e. Ken Bigley)

You dont see in the clubs anyway. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

I thought this was a fans discussion about a title shot for machida
    If ye wanna talk about the slitting of the throut gesture make a separate thread for it

Giving this thread the thumbs down I see agardiner22

No this discussion is fine i'm saying it should have its own thread wat do u think rovert

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

true, sorry I contributed to that too.

back on topic (DeV!)

DeV

As a "new" fan of MMA, all I can say is that I found Machida's fight to be the most entertaining of the night (though I must admit to not having watched a few of the undercard before it).

Its was fascinating to me to see two very different styles go at it. I think its bad if people are down on Machida because of his style of fighting, its his business (and his face) to fight as he sees fit within the rules. That the spirit of MMA as I understand it, maybe I'm wrong.

I'm a big fan of the stand up side but I can also appreciate the wrestling and grappling side. (some of the pre-fight highlights of BJ Penn's submissions were astounding, he was like a spider-monkey!). I'm not at all a fan of the ground-n-pound from the mount position but thats a different story.

My mate calls MMA "hugging" because he doesnt really see the skill involved in the ground game but a fighter like Machida would interest him. Should you encourage people who have a passing interest but no depth of knowledge? Or should you scorn them for their ignorance?

I cant say if Machida deserves a title fight next, I dont know the system of deciding nor the other fighters in his class but I CAN say that when/if he gets his shot, it will be a PPV I will buy.

(Finally something I can talk authoratitvely on... the point of view of a n00b :))

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

As a "new" fan of MMA, all I can say is that I found Machida's fight to be the most entertaining of the night (though I must admit to not having watched a few of the undercard before it).

Its was fascinating to me to see two very different styles go at it. I think its bad if people are down on Machida because of his style of fighting, its his business (and his face) to fight as he sees fit within the rules. That the spirit of MMA as I understand it, maybe I'm wrong.

I'm a big fan of the stand up side but I can also appreciate the wrestling and grappling side. (some of the pre-fight highlights of BJ Penn's submissions were astounding, he was like a spider-monkey!). I'm not at all a fan of the ground-n-pound from the mount position but thats a different story.

My mate calls MMA "hugging" because he doesnt really see the skill involved in the ground game but a fighter like Machida would interest him. Should you encourage people who have a passing interest but no depth of knowledge? Or should you scorn them for their ignorance?

I cant say if Machida deserves a title fight next, I dont know the system of deciding nor the other fighters in his class but I CAN say that when/if he gets his shot, it will be a PPV I will buy.

(Finally something I can talk authoratitvely on... the point of view of a n00b :))

DeV.
    I agree about machida.

He's kind of what we thought a badass martial artist is supposed to be - pre mma. The dude even looks like ryu from sf2!

In regards to a title shot, he has 6 consequitive wins inside the octagon. Anderson had 1 before he got a title shot. Machida defo deserves it. The problem is rampage does too.

I would rather they just came out and said that either Rampage or Machida was next then the other guy, it would clear things up for everyone involved

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I would rather they just came out and said that either Rampage or Machida was next then the other guy, it would clear things up for everyone involved

That's what they're going to do after Rampage's next fight. It makes no sense to do it before then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Surely Forrest is still in the mix. Rashad was really unimpressive until the fourth round

Rashad seems to be a talented fighter with heart but his real strength is that he is just a brick wall. I've seen him fight a good few times now and he just tires his opponents fist out with his face! (j/king!).
    But seriously, he seems to be able to soak up punishment and has good cardio so I wouldnt be surprised if he relatively improves late in the fight. Thats my reading of it anyway.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Surely Forrest is still in the mix. Rashad was really unimpressive until the fourth round
    The fight only went 3 rounds.

He can be a slow starter sometimes but he always finds a way to win. Forrest needs to get a few wins before he's in the mix again imo.

Rashad and Rampage has the potential to be a great fight.

Rashad and Machida has great potential to be a snooze fest..Would be interesting match though from a technical pov..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

There are rumours floating about he will face Couture at 100 for the title shot. It is just rumours though.

• Advertisement

Forrest broke his hand in the Rashad fight. I've read that he won't be back until October/November. Thats what I read.

And just an interesting fact about Rashad..... He has never attempted a submission in his UFC career!! :eek: ha.

Evans v Machida is a battle of the undefeated. Love to see it.

Advertisement