Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FCP: 4:3 into 16:9

Options
  • 04-02-2009 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭

any one know how to arc my 4:3 footage into a 16:9 format? i have a load of room at the top and bottom so can i clip that bit off? if so how do i do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

yes u can clip it,you'll need a program to do this,the same program should be able to convert it to 16:9,its not advised to convert from 4:3 to 16:9 though unless you dont care about quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

anto-t wrote: »
    any one know how to arc my 4:3 footage into a 16:9 format? i have a load of room at the top and bottom so can i clip that bit off? if so how do i do it?

One way of doing it is to use an a black wipe but just keep it at the top and bottom of the screen. I seen do this to get rid of the date at the bottom of the screen but i dont know if it is 'technically' widescreen

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

what editing software do you have/ going to be using. If i was doing it in Final Cut i would do the following.

1. Import 4:3 footage.
    2. Create a new sequence and make in anamorphic.
    3. Put my 4:3 footage into the anamorphic sequence.
    Note: when you stick 4:3 footage into an anamorphic/16:9 sequence in FCP, your footage is plonked dead center into the sequence and it appears as if you have bars on the side (pilar boxed) This is one method of making it '16:9'
    if you want it full frame, scale your footage up to 133%, Now the footage will fill the full width of the screen, but obviously you will lose some of the picture from the top and bottom of the clip. You can then move it up and down a bit to get a better framing.

Other software may be similar, i know on the avid when you stick 4:3 into a widescreen timeline, it would squeeze the picture to fit, so everything was squeeshed on screen, and by increasing the height to 133% it would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

cheers mate it worked :)

right so i have 16:9 files now saved on my mac...

when opened in quick time they look 16:9
    but when i up load them to you tube they are 4:3 any one have any ideas? its annoying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNPteatUi6Y there is a 16:9 video

• Advertisement

Export from fcp with the size 1024x576 (it's 16:9 in square pixels).

cheers mate it worked

no problem.... there is nothing worse than it taking a few hours to upload a video to youtube only to find out it doesn't recognise the widescreen marker of a quicktime and ends up pillarboxing it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Which is why youtube is full of squished video.

Advertisement